New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    To be implemented by next year:

Currently, the speed limit set along the main stretch of EDSA is a maximum of 60km/h. In the following weeks, that may soon be reduced to only 50 km/h as the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has announced on Wednesday.
    https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-...monwealth.html

And for those from Quezon City, much lower speed limits:

As a safety measure, the speed limit for all types of vehicles using city roads, except for selected thoroughfares, is set at 30 kilometers per hour. For barangay roads, the limit is 20 kph.

With the exception of Commonwealth Avenue where vehicles can run at 60 kph, cars and motorcycles are limited to 50 kph on Santolan Road, Aurora Boulevard, Kamuning Road, Batasan Road, Regalado and Quirino Highways, E. Rodriguez Sr. Avenue, Quezon Avenue, West Avenue and Mindanao Avenue.

Trucks, buses and tricycles can run only up to 30 kph on all city roads, except for Commonwealth Avenue where the speed limit for such vehicles is set at 50 kph.
    New Quezon City ordinance sets speed limits | Inquirer News

2. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    This is stupid if ever they decide to implement it. The problem isn't the speed.. it's the driving discipline of filipinos. Germany has the safest safety road record in the world and yet they also have the highest road speeds implemented worldwide too.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by E*tpc View Post
    This is stupid if ever they decide to implement it. The problem isn't the speed.. it's the driving discipline of filipinos. Germany has the safest safety road record in the world and yet they also have the highest road speeds implemented worldwide too.
    "The report stresses though that: "the relationship between speed and road accidents has been studied extensively and is very clear: the higher the speed, the greater the probability of a crash and the severity of the crashes.""

"In their 2008 report, the ETSC were firm and clear in their overall conclusion: empirical evidence indicates that all instances' of introduced speed limits on German motorways have caused very large casualty reductions."

Do speed limits reduce the number of road deaths? | News | theguardian.com

4. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    The MMDA is essentially giving Metro Manila the Davao City treatment, where the main thoroughfares have a speed limit of 30-40 kph.

Truth be told, this ordinance is not based on any sort of scientific study at all. For instance,

• How many of these traffic accidents in Metro Manila are due to overspeeding?
    • At what speed would they deem it "safe" for motorists, both on cars and motorbikes, on a 2 lane vs a 4 lane highway?
    • At what speed do we get the right mix of safety and efficiency?
    • What about the other causes of accidents, like faulty brakes, DUI, counterflowing?

I strongly believe that this 50 kph figure is an arbitrary one. This ordinance is basically to please and pander Duterte, in the guise of "best practice sharing".

5. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    The MMDA is essentially giving Metro Manila the Davao City treatment, where the main thoroughfares have a speed limit of 30-40 kph.

Truth be told, this ordinance is not based on any sort of scientific study at all. For instance,

• How many of these traffic accidents in Metro Manila are due to overspeeding?
    • At what speed would they deem it "safe" for motorists, both on cars and motorbikes, on a 2 lane vs a 4 lane highway?
    • At what speed do we get the right mix of safety and efficiency?
    • What about the other causes of accidents, like faulty brakes, DUI, counterflowing?

I strongly believe that this 50 kph figure is an arbitrary one. This ordinance is basically to please and pander Duterte, in the guise of "best practice sharing".
    I doubt if there was a thorough scientific study done by the local authorities that served as a basis for the speed limits. I highly suspect that such policy was driven more by perception and personal opinions rather than through objective analysis. But then again, there is validity that imposing speed limits can reduce fatal accidents, as pointed out by a previous post based on academic studies in first world countries.

Perhaps why not give this policy a chance? If we see that the accidents go down significantly, say 10%, then perhaps the policy is effective? Imposing such policy could potentially instill more discipline to those speeding buses/trucks/jeepneys. The speed limit policy is a pragmatic and quickie solution for the government's part, that's for sure.

I'm pretty sure these obtrusive speed limits will cause a lot of inconvenience among motorists, particularly those who are responsible drivers who know how to drive safely at high speed. But the untrained, undisciplined drivers outnumber the responsible drivers, hence the easiest solution is to just impose speed limits. A better but more complex solution is to come up with stricter requirements for acquiring a driver's license, make it mandatory that everyone go through a training on defensive/responsible driving.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    I agree 110% that there should be speed limits.

My point is that what makes the current 60 kph speed limit now unsafe all of a sudden as compared to the proposed 50 kph?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Nov 2017

My point is that what makes the current 60 kph speed limit now unsafe all of a sudden as compared to the proposed 50 kph?

I have the same big question mark. The authorities likely just came up with an arbitrary number, i.e. 50 is lower than 60 therefore much safer. I drive daily along Commonwealth ave and even with the 60kph speed limit, plenty of buses, trucks and motorcycles go beyond 70 kph. Perhaps by setting the speed limit to 50, that will somehow make motorists drive below 70kph.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009

Plus how many cars really have 50 on their odometer? It's 40 line then next is the 60 line. How would you know you are over 50? Tanchahan na lang ng imaginary line on your odometer between 40 and 60.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    I think one of the best options would be to install electronic limiters on all public vehicles and also for private vehicles with past multiple violations.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BratPAQ View Post
    Plus how many cars really have 50 on their odometer? It's 40 line then next is the 60 line. How would you know you are over 50? Tanchahan na lang ng imaginary line on your odometer between 40 and 60.

Worse, plenty of PUVs don't even have a working odometer, or none at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast