New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Hi Guys,

We have a Corolla SE 91 1.6L (AE 92) that sits idle right now and I plan to restore it. Engine might need some major repairs as it emits white smoke na and loses oil, but im not really sure if its losing compression na. AC compressor is busted, carbs need serious cleaning and water pump needs to be replaced also. Body has rust developing specially on the windshield lines sa may roof so a major body repair is in hand. Underchassis also needs to be checked. Question is how much kaya ang i allot ko budget dito? May mga surplus parts pa kaya available ito like tail lights, interiors etc. Pwede rin ba ito na iconvert into power steering.

Ok din sana yung car kasi it has JDM front grilles and headlights na with 15 inch mags. And syempre may sentimental value din

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It might cost more than half the current resale value of a "clean" Corolla of the same age/model especially considering you might need an engine overhaul, full body repaint (rust repair, etc), AC compressor replacement and water pump replacement too.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; August 18th, 2010 at 05:03 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    it may not be worth it. restore it if you don't plan to sell it. we used to have a corolla 16 valve like yours. everytime i see one on the road, i miss it kasi may setimentality value coz it's our family's first bought brand new car. kaya nga everytime i see a corolla with the same color, automatic tinitignan ko kagad ang plates

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    not worth it

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rhops View Post
    Hi Guys,

We have a Corolla SE 91 1.6L (AE 92) that sits idle right now and I plan to restore it. Engine might need some major repairs as it emits white smoke na and loses oil, but im not really sure if its losing compression na. AC compressor is busted, carbs need serious cleaning and water pump needs to be replaced also. Body has rust developing specially on the windshield lines sa may roof so a major body repair is in hand. Underchassis also needs to be checked. Question is how much kaya ang i allot ko budget dito? May mga surplus parts pa kaya available ito like tail lights, interiors etc. Pwede rin ba ito na iconvert into power steering.

Ok din sana yung car kasi it has JDM front grilles and headlights na with 15 inch mags. And syempre may sentimental value din

Yan ang gusto ko i restore, although I'd replace the engine with a 4AGE black top. Bakit walang power steering eh 1.6 SE yan ah? di naman 1.3 XL?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Kung hindi daily driver at pang toy/project car, go for it. As you said- may sentimental value.

Pero kung for practical purposes, hindi sya worth it.

1. Mahirap mabawi investment mo kung balak mo ibenta.
    2. Outdated design/engineering- no power steering, carburated, phased out r12 aircon system?, probably not fuel efficient.

Had the same experience before. Had a very old car na hindi ginagamit. Since mahilig ako sa kotse I volunteered to spend for it and have it restored. Ang laki ng nagastos ko.

I could have sold the car, combined that money & restoration money to buy a newer car- less sakit ng ulo, better car.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    For the sake of enjoying it, yes it is.

Change the engine to a more practical one and a much faster one.

A 20V Silvertop would do, engine swap would probably cost you around 50k.

If you have the money, prepare to spend about 150k~200k to have it in its best shape.

The ae92 could be a fun weekend warrior, only if you have the money to burn. :hysterical:

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    You'll probably spend more than 150k. You'd be lucky to sell the car for 120K in good condition. Better buy a newer working second hand car instead and spare yourself the headache.
    Last edited by Monseratto; August 18th, 2010 at 07:50 PM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    if you will sell the car...let me have the Pictures, Engine, Exterior..etc

Baka magkasundo tayo sa price.. Baka lang naman

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Thanks guys sa input. This will be a daily driver sana and medyo impractical in that case malakas din kasi sa gas. I hope to spend 50K to 60K max sana pero upon initial queries sa mga shop baka umabot ng 80K and up. I really love this car pero for practicality sake need ko muna pag isipan maiigi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Is it worth Restoring?