New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Hi Guys,

Apologies in advance if my inquiry may seem ignorant in nature. I'm a total newbie when it comes to cars. If there's a similar topic to what I posted, then kindly direct me there. I would appreciate any assistance.

About a month ago, I had the chance to get my hands on a Toyota Corolla EE90. I believe they call it the "small body" in layman's terms. I'm pretty satisfied with the car itself. I got it at a cheap price and it's understandable that some parts are no longer as durable as they were intended to be. The first thing I did when I got the vehicle was to have the carburetor cleaned out and the oil changed. The mechanic also suggested to have the Air Filter replaced so I had that done as well. I also use the car in long drives (e.g. Laguna to Bulacan and back again) with no apparent problems. It was not until recently that I noticed a change with how the engine sounds. There's this distinct clatter or "kalansing" sound. I didn't notice it at first as there is no noticeable change with how the car performs. However, the sound can be heard as soon as I start the car. Based on my research, the problem may be caused by the following culprits:

• tensioners/timing belts
    • piston ring
    • bearings
    • coins that may have fallen in the car's crevices

I just want to know what you guys think or if anyone already encountered a similar experience. Any feedback would be appreciated. If you also have an idea on how much repairs would cost, then that would help me out a lot.

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by migoyzki_05 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Apologies in advance if my inquiry may seem ignorant in nature. I'm a total newbie when it comes to cars. If there's a similar topic to what I posted, then kindly direct me there. I would appreciate any assistance.

About a month ago, I had the chance to get my hands on a Toyota Corolla EE90. I believe they call it the "small body" in layman's terms. I'm pretty satisfied with the car itself. I got it at a cheap price and it's understandable that some parts are no longer as durable as they were intended to be. The first thing I did when I got the vehicle was to have the carburetor cleaned out and the oil changed. The mechanic also suggested to have the Air Filter replaced so I had that done as well. I also use the car in long drives (e.g. Laguna to Bulacan and back again) with no apparent problems. It was not until recently that I noticed a change with how the engine sounds. There's this distinct clatter or "kalansing" sound. I didn't notice it at first as there is no noticeable change with how the car performs. However, the sound can be heard as soon as I start the car. Based on my research, the problem may be caused by the following culprits:

• tensioners/timing belts
    • piston ring
    • bearings
    • coins that may have fallen in the car's crevices

I just want to know what you guys think or if anyone already encountered a similar experience. Any feedback would be appreciated. If you also have an idea on how much repairs would cost, then that would help me out a lot.

Thanks

please describe the noise type, when it happens, the frequency it happens, factors that contribute to make this noise appear and the vicinity of the area (e.g.; front of engine, top, bottom, rear of the engine near the transmission)

3. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    please describe the noise type, when it happens, the frequency it happens, factors that contribute to make this noise appear and the vicinity of the area (e.g.; front of engine, top, bottom, rear of the engine near the transmission)
    The noise occurs as soon as I start the car. Regardless if it's just on idle or if I'm shifting gears. It's always there. :drive1:
    I first noticed it when we were on our way back from a trip to Tagaytay. I heard the "kalansing" as soon as I started the engine. It was a distinct "tiny mild bell" sound. It can be heard from the driver seat, but I also checked from the outside. The sound became significantly louder once I had the hood opened. I think it's coming from the "cylinder block?" (not sure what that part is really called). Aside from what I enumerated earlier, I think I also read from somewhere that the culprit maybe the "barbula."

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    The noise occurs as soon as I start the car. Regardless if it's just on idle or if I'm shifting gears. It's always there. :drive1:
    I first noticed it when we were on our way back from a trip to Tagaytay. I heard the "kalansing" as soon as I started the engine. It was a distinct "tiny mild bell" sound. It can be heard from the driver seat, but I also checked from the outside. The sound became significantly louder once I had the hood opened. I think it's coming from the "cylinder block?" (not sure what that part is really called). Aside from what I enumerated earlier, I think I also read from somewhere that the culprit maybe the "barbula."

try running the engine without the accessory belts ( alternator, power steering, air conditioner belts) to eliminate the possibility of the forementioned accessory. the alternator cooling fan just behind the pulley is susceptible to damage from improper service procedure and does make a "tiny bell sound" when it makes unwanted contact with the pulley end frame of the alternator

5. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    try running the engine without the accessory belts ( alternator, power steering, air conditioner belts) to eliminate the possibility of the forementioned accessory. the alternator cooling fan just behind the pulley is susceptible to damage from improper service procedure and does make a "tiny bell sound" when it makes unwanted contact with the pulley end frame of the alternator
    Thanks for the very helpful suggestion. I'll try it out later and will let you know of what happens.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Hi again guys,

Just a follow-up to this inquiry of mine. I noticed that the sound disappears whenever I engage the A/C. Does that somehow isolate the issue to the A/C components?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Hi again guys,

Just a follow-up to this inquiry of mine. I noticed that the sound disappears whenever I engage the A/C. Does that somehow isolate the issue to the A/C components?

you might have localized the noise source. try removing the a/c belt and run the engine to see if the noise disappears. while the belt is out and engine off, try turning the compressor pulley and the a/c belt idler pulley to further pinpoint the noise generator. check the belt if it needs to be replaced or if the belt shows signs of age or wear, change it

8. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    you might have localized the noise source. try removing the a/c belt and run the engine to see if the noise disappears. while the belt is out and engine off, try turning the compressor pulley and the a/c belt idler pulley to further pinpoint the noise generator. check the belt if it needs to be replaced or if the belt shows signs of age or wear, change it
    Thank you sir jick.cejoco. I'll have a mechanic look at it with the points you've mentioned as top priority.

Weird Engine Noise- EE90