New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    When I compare the braking power of my older Avanza J manual transmission and the newer 2012 Avanza G automatic transmission, the braking power of the newer one is much weaker - you need to put more effort if you want to stop the vehicle more quickly.

I'm not sure but is it because it is an automatic transmission or because of the ABS brake system?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    baka kailangan lang break in muna brake pads mo.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    ^ oo nga. Hindi pa lapat ng husto yung pads.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yagami_kira View Post
    When I compare the braking power of my older Avanza J manual transmission and the newer 2012 Avanza G automatic transmission, the braking power of the newer one is much weaker - you need to put more effort if you want to stop the vehicle more quickly.

I'm not sure but is it because it is an automatic transmission or because of the ABS brake system?

is it the feeling or perception or is it actual stopping distance assuming the velocity and the mass are equal. too many factors that might have changed. factors include but not limited to:
    1-weight of the vehicle
    2-speed of the vehicle
    3-brake pedal effort
    4-tire pressure and traction rating
    5-road type and condition

5. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Another angles can be:
    1. The J is lighter than the G
    2. Usually in driving a manual trans car, when you do sudden braking, you press on the clutch and brake pedals simultaneously. Even though your stick is on a gear, the gears are actualy disengaged since you're pressing the clutch, therefore no engine power is being transferred to your wheels. As opposed to driving a matic trans car, when you do sudden braking, you press on the brake (and the dummy pedal), the transmission is still engaged in D and the engine is still pushing your car to move forward.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Thank you for all your feedbacks.

Is it also normal that the brake of an automatic transmission feels harder and have shallower pedal?

Because my older Avanza manual trans have softer (foamy) brake pedals and can go more deeper, too. It feels much more smoother and you can easily feel the braking power.

Weak braking?