New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    7 ? Bilis.

Since nasa usapan na rin ng performance, so it's not really that advantageous to use Neovas since they're sticky at dry surfaces & are slippery on the other hand on wet pavements ?

Nagiging advantageous lang ang Neova's pag dating sa high speed turns & runs since mas maganda kapit niya sa daan, diba ? Hmmmm.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    High 7s. Maybe 7.9. Still not quite as good as a moderately modified SiR.

Neovas are great on the racetrack. On the street, on drag launches, they're not a great advantage on a low-power car which doesn't have a lot of torque. (yes, I consider cars like the Lynx and SiR low-power... )

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    High 7s. Maybe 7.9. Still not quite as good as a moderately modified SiR.

Neovas are great on the racetrack. On the street, on drag launches, they're not a great advantage on a low-power car which doesn't have a lot of torque. (yes, I consider cars like the Lynx and SiR low-power... )
    Exception naman yung sayo eh.

Yeah, I can consider the SiR as low power. AFAIK a properly tuned SR20DE can eat up SiR's anytime. Wag lang hindi nakatono yung SR.

Hehehehe.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Exception naman yung sayo eh.

Yeah, I can consider the SiR as low power. AFAIK a properly tuned SR20DE can eat up SiR's anytime. Wag lang hindi nakatono yung SR.

Hehehehe.

Even a Sentra with a factory stock SR20DE will eat SiRs.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I would like to share about my experiences. I have driven a 2006 1.3E M/T Vios for quite a few times before. I had to be very careful with the pedal input as to avoid unnecessary overrevving as even the slightest additional pedal input can send the tach needle skyrocketing. The performance of the car itself is quite ordinary and definitely not what I would call fast. Also the idling of that particular unit (ganun ba lahat ng Vios?) is very low so that I had to always maintain a bit of gas before launching from a full stop. I haven't driven a Mazda 3 2.0R, the only 2.0L sedan I've driven is a 1993 Ford Telstar (rebadged 626) 2.0GLX A/T in Taiwan. Of course, being an old car, everything is traditional here so no sort of pedal trickery. But despite the modest power output of this particular engine and much lower than the Mazda 3's 2.0, this is what I would call fast. Even the slightest prod on the throttle would be enough to go around town at a lively pace and the only thing that I had to constantly take note of is to keep the car from exceeding the city speed limit of 60km/h. The exhaust note, is very, very pleasant to my ears too as compared to the Vios 1.3E which was simply asthmatic.

So IMHO a 1.3 M/T Vios could not be faster than a 2.0L Mazda 3. Perhaps a lightly modded 1.5L Vios would.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    I am back from testing with new insights -- Vios 1.3L M/T IS NOT FASTER than the Mazda 3 2.0!

It is true that in city / mild traffic driving, it seems to me that vios is faster. Throttle is more responsive, pull is instant (mostly due to being manual) and the vios generally feels a lot more nimble (I feel I could weave thru with more control -- also due to being manual).

But after taking my (somewhat unreliable/inaccurate) Android-based GPS timing system and flooring both cars in an open road, I realized -- MAN, Vios is slow. hehe

I mentioned doing about 8 seconds 20kph-80kph with the mazda 3 2.0... I did about 15 seconds on the vios! hehe It takes forever. I was surprised at the size of the difference.. but that's what I got!

I mostly ended up just driving around with friends with our different cars. Generally had a good time "testing". We got to time others, although generally tinamad na kami mag time. Next time sama kayo!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just proves that "by the pants feeling" of acceleration can be misleading to the driver's perception of speed.

The same goes for cars equipped with CVT transmissions. The smoother "shifts" from low to high ratios and lacking that "shift" feel can make the driver think the car is accelerating slower than other equivalent vehicles.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Probably because the Vios is lighter you can feel the pull & the speed more than when you're in a Mazda 3 2.0R which is generally heavier.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    The 1.3 variant Vios has been known to reach 190 Kph at clear NLEX, SCTEX and SLEX stretches. I haven’t personally tried this, but I can say I can personally attest to the less-than-10 seconds zero to 100 acceleration.
    Review: Toyota Vios 1.3E (2nd Generation) - Pinoy Auto Blog
    my vios 1.3E can do also less than 10 seconds ;)

I did about 15 seconds on the vios! hehe
    maybe may sira na yan 1.3E mo bro

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox168 View Post
    Review: Toyota Vios 1.3E (2nd Generation) - Pinoy Auto Blog
    my vios 1.3E can do also less than 10 seconds ;)

maybe may sira na yan 1.3E mo bro

Sub-10 seconds? Bull. I've been doing acceleration testing for the past 5 years... and that claim just makes me laugh.

I've driven various ZZ-powered Toyotas. I've tested various methods of launching. And there's no way of getting below 10 seconds on a stock 1.3.

A stock 1.3 is within the 12-13 second range if you drive it right. The slow 20-80 time is because he wasn't "launching", meaning he had to slog through the entire first gear. To get anywhere under 12 seconds, you have to launch at a catastrophic 5000+ rpms on the tachometer and slip the clutch brutally to keep the engine spinning through first gear and up into the powerband right away.

Maybe someone flat-shifting through the transmission will get near 11... on a cool day with a fresh engine and a stripped interior. Someone who doesn't care about grinding the transmission to dust. But under 10 seconds? Whoever claims that can set an appointment with us at Speedlab for V-Box testing. Hell... let's put money on the table on the results... shall we?
    Last edited by niky; May 25th, 2011 at 09:39 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Vios 1.3 M/T faster than Mazda 3 2.0R!