New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    hi! to all tsikoters, i'l be having my 10,000 km PM I am thinking if using a synthetic oil would be a lot better choice than the ordinary one, im planning to have my change oil evry 10,000 km onward. I've learned some motorist practice this on their cars, i'm a bit skeptical because my car is a diesel one. please giv advise if i should change oil evry 10,000 km if i will be using synthetic oil.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
    hi! to all tsikoters, i'l be having my 10,000 km PM I am thinking if using a synthetic oil would be a lot better choice than the ordinary one, im planning to have my change oil evry 10,000 km onward. I've learned some motorist practice this on their cars, i'm a bit skeptical because my car is a diesel one. please giv advise if i should change oil evry 10,000 km if i will be using synthetic oil.
    Not sure with diesel but on all my vehicles which use gas I still change the filter after 3K miles/5k km even if I use a synthetic oil, unless I have installed a filter that allows extended use. The reason being that the filter can get clogged up and will divert oil to the by pass instead of filtering it. Using a synthetic oil isn't any good if your filter has already clogged and the oil is passing through the by pass. Just make sure you use a good filter along with the synthetic oil.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    you should change oil the same intervals as when you are using mineral oil.. synthetic oils actually perform better than mineral oil but does not necessarily mean they should be changed longer...

remember that engine oil primary function aside from lubrication is to clean the engine.. and your engine will produce almost the same amount of dirt regardless of the oil type you are using..

using synthetic motor oil