New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    im a big guy and one time I went to toyota alabang to inquire about the new corolla. but to my dismay, i could not even sit down properly on the driver side seat without maneuvering myself. the SA tried to adjust seat & steering but result was still the same. I tried getting on the vios & I was able to sit without effort. I really think there is something wrong with the cabin design of the corolla. I think the B pillar is positioned incorrectly.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by macho palito View Post
    im a big guy and one time I went to toyota alabang to inquire about the new corolla. but to my dismay, i could not even sit down properly on the driver side seat without maneuvering myself. the SA tried to adjust seat & steering but result was still the same. I tried getting on the vios & I was able to sit without effort. I really think there is something wrong with the cabin design of the corolla. I think the B pillar is positioned incorrectly.
    It's the front firewall.

They tried to lengthen the cabin while staying within the design envelope of the old car. What happened is that the dash is pushed further into the firewall... so it looks big... but the footwells under it are small and oddly contoured. So you have to move the seat further back... and no matter how you do it, you'll never get the feet right... which is why it feels tight, even though it looks spacious.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
    Hi my name is Herbert. we just bought a 2010 corolla altis 1.6G last month

i would like to give my unbiased review.

here is my background. i have been driving a 99 honda civic.

lets start with the good news. with the VVTI and DOHC. you can barely feel the change in gears. this makes for a very smooth ride. the insulation is also a natural improvement. The suspension is also better compared to the new civic. Hhowever one of the factors that pushed me to get the altis is because of price. it is much cheaper and packed with more features than the equivalent civic. i do like the trunk space though which is more practical than the civics.

now for the bad news. the electronic power steering will PISS YOU OFF. i could imagine getting into an accident on the highway with the sensitive steering and strong crosswinds. thankfully, here in manila there are no such things so i guess were safe from that. but still beware of this when driving on the highway. the altis space will cramp you up. i can imaging driving long distances and feeling like youve been stuffed in a box. the seat has design problems compared the the 99 civic. you will tire very easily though both cars do not lumbar support. the glove box is also usless since your front passengers knees will block you from opening it. you wont even be able to tolerate traffic because of the confined space. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. your passengers will also feel the same since they are also cramped up back there since i tried being a passanger too. you will also find that you do not need the automatic climate control since the human is more sensitive and can give better control than the automatic climate control.

in retrospect i wish i had just stuck with honda and be a whole lot happier. the features that the altis boasts do not seem to be very useful. while you could pay more for a honda civic and still feel that you got your money's worth.
    IMO, this is more of a comparison than of a review.

peace.

btw, have not driven a 10'th gen 'rolla

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    ano po ang nakukuha nyo fuel consumption on normal city driving.
    i read a good review on the corolla.
    http://www.bigbigcar.com/ReviewArticle.aspx?id=37

in my opinion, this is still a review.

because some reviews (including car reviews) are made in reference to other brands in order to be informative.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I too was surprised at the Corolla's passenger space especially at the back. It looks bigger than the Civic from the outside (probably because of its longer hood and longer trunk) but the Civic is more spacious for passengers...

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    i agree, surprising tightness of space became more obvious with full passengers and contour of the seats aren't comfy (esp for the lower back) for long distance driving, even for the back passengers :T but everyone was happy with the driving performance... we were told at high speeds the steering wheel would go stiffer a bit for better control, but, unfortunately, not noticeably... but overall, we're still happy with it

8. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    mas malaki talaga yung passenger seat ng Honda. but the suspension of ALtis is way swabe than a civic for me.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gabo1029 View Post
    ano po ang nakukuha nyo fuel consumption on normal city driving.
    i read a good review on the corolla.
    http://www.bigbigcar.com/ReviewArticle.aspx?id=37
    city driving with very good driving habit can get you 8km/l but thats pushing it. on regular traffic here it will probably get you 6-7km/l

let me do follow up review 15 months later.

fuel economy - very good for a 1.6 engine. i give a solid 95% here.

power - very fast for a 1.6. compared to my 99 civic. my driving technique has now changed because of this. on the highway when i overtake i have to prepare earlier because the altis speeds up to more than i would require but the torque would come slower (responsiveness). but i have no problems with the torque itself. it can handle full passenger capacity but that is the limit.

comfort - i agree with the above posts that the seats are soft. but the cramped space will always be there

thank you for reading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
unbiased review New Member new altis 1.6g