New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Hi my name is Herbert. we just bought a 2010 corolla altis 1.6G last month

i would like to give my unbiased review.

here is my background. i have been driving a 99 honda civic.

lets start with the good news. with the VVTI and DOHC. you can barely feel the change in gears. this makes for a very smooth ride. the insulation is also a natural improvement. The suspension is also better compared to the new civic. Hhowever one of the factors that pushed me to get the altis is because of price. it is much cheaper and packed with more features than the equivalent civic. i do like the trunk space though which is more practical than the civics.

now for the bad news. the electronic power steering will PISS YOU OFF. i could imagine getting into an accident on the highway with the sensitive steering and strong crosswinds. thankfully, here in manila there are no such things so i guess were safe from that. but still beware of this when driving on the highway. the altis space will cramp you up. i can imaging driving long distances and feeling like youve been stuffed in a box. the seat has design problems compared the the 99 civic. you will tire very easily though both cars do not lumbar support. the glove box is also usless since your front passengers knees will block you from opening it. you wont even be able to tolerate traffic because of the confined space. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. your passengers will also feel the same since they are also cramped up back there since i tried being a passanger too. you will also find that you do not need the automatic climate control since the human is more sensitive and can give better control than the automatic climate control.

in retrospect i wish i had just stuck with honda and be a whole lot happier. the features that the altis boasts do not seem to be very useful. while you could pay more for a honda civic and still feel that you got your money's worth.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    also the placement of the push buttons on the steering wheel will make it difficult to blow the horn which adds to safety problems.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    We had both (used to have, the altis drowned in ondoy) but i think the civic's seats is harder than the altis. we had to use pillows for long journeys just to prevent us from having pains in the butt

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For just a little more, you could have purchased a Lancer EX GLX 2.0L

5. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    i agree that the foam in the altis is softer but the shape of the seat is the problem. i still prefer the bucket seats in the old models.

i still like the 1.6 liter engines. they have the balance between economy and pulling power

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
    Hi my name is Herbert. we just bought a 2010 corolla altis 1.6G last month

i would like to give my unbiased review.

here is my background. i have been driving a 99 honda civic.

lets start with the good news. with the VVTI and DOHC. you can barely feel the change in gears. this makes for a very smooth ride. the insulation is also a natural improvement. The suspension is also better compared to the new civic. Hhowever one of the factors that pushed me to get the altis is because of price. it is much cheaper and packed with more features than the equivalent civic. i do like the trunk space though which is more practical than the civics.

now for the bad news. the electronic power steering will PISS YOU OFF. i could imagine getting into an accident on the highway with the sensitive steering and strong crosswinds. thankfully, here in manila there are no such things so i guess were safe from that. but still beware of this when driving on the highway. the altis space will cramp you up. i can imaging driving long distances and feeling like youve been stuffed in a box. the seat has design problems compared the the 99 civic. you will tire very easily though both cars do not lumbar support. the glove box is also usless since your front passengers knees will block you from opening it. you wont even be able to tolerate traffic because of the confined space. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. your passengers will also feel the same since they are also cramped up back there since i tried being a passanger too. you will also find that you do not need the automatic climate control since the human is more sensitive and can give better control than the automatic climate control.

in retrospect i wish i had just stuck with honda and be a whole lot happier. the features that the altis boasts do not seem to be very useful. while you could pay more for a honda civic and still feel that you got your money's worth.
    Didn't you test drive before you decided on the unit?...

9404:vader:

7. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    i did but i went for the practicality of toyota. but later realized that honda civic is an overall better sedan than altis. though it is more expensive, you cant go wrong with civic

8. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    at least the trunk space is very much bigger than the civic's. you will find that very useful and practical.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
    at least the trunk space is very much bigger than the civic's. you will find that very useful and practical.
    I hope that the thought that the corolla has a bigger trunk space will give you great comfort down the road when your back begins to ache from the stiff padding and the engine bogs down from the sludge, etc.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Civic's seats are hard but I feel it's more comfortable during long trips. Soft seats tend to give discomfort on long trips.

But I agree, the AT of the altis is one of the best! Honda has clunky, thuddy ATs hehe.

Sana sinubukan mo muna ng matagal tagal bago mo binili. Hehehe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
unbiased review New Member new altis 1.6g