New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 63 of 145 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Revo's brakes have been failing lately. Medyo mahina ang kagat at malalim ang apak. Kapag nakahinto sa stoplight, palubog ng palubog ang pedal. All this despite having replaced the front brake pads recently and having changed the brake fluid (which isn't leaking, by the way).

Apparently sira na ang brake master, ang LSPV sa likod, malipis na ang front rotor discs at rear brake shoes. Cost me 8500 for everything.

That's the third major repair job for this year.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    The Revo's brakes have been failing lately. Medyo mahina ang kagat at malalim ang apak. Kapag nakahinto sa stoplight, palubog ng palubog ang pedal. All this despite having replaced the front brake pads recently and having changed the brake fluid (which isn't leaking, by the way).

Apparently sira na ang brake master, ang LSPV sa likod, malipis na ang front rotor discs at rear brake shoes. Cost me 8500 for everything.

That's the third major repair job for this year.

well, it IS an old car...
    maybe by the time you've spent close to the price of a brand new car, your old car will be just like new...
    heh heh.
    fixing up an old car is kinda fun... if you have the time and the money. instant gratification for a job well done...
    have fun.

i used to do it. now, my time is money, and them joints (mine, not the car's) just aren't what they used to be... so i just bought a new car.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Very gratifying indeed, and also very educating. However, I was a bit disappointed that things seem to fall apart earlier than I would have expected. The car is 13 years old and has ran only 110tkms. It's serviced regularly too.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    *GTi: ano na major repairs na nagawa sa Revo mo and anong variant pala yan?

5. Join Date
    May 2014
    For Our Revo,15 years old GLX Diesel MT. about 150T kms.

Our main problem has been the transmission, just replaced it early this year (2nd time for it's whole life). But the reason for that is that it is driven by different people and not just me. So they have different driving style and it's what caused the clutchdisc to get damaged early on. Hopefully, now, it won't be as much of a headache because I am preventing it being borrowed by extended family because they don't care for it when they drive like we do.

We've only replaced the aircon compressor with surplus recently because the pulley and bearings were giving out already and you could hear a grinding noise.

Shocks have been replaced only once for the rear and it rides better, almost like new (almost). Hehe!

Replaced ball joints on both front left and right. Again a wear and tear issue so not a concern.

Clutch master replaced the a 2nd time simulatenously with the transmission overhaul just to remove the headache down the line but it wasn't really a problem if I am being honest.

Recently drove it mostly highway Manila - Batangas - Manila. Total trip about 240kms. Got stuck in traffic from Manila to SLEX for about 1.5 hours just to get to slex on the way to Batangas. MNL to Batangas took about 3 hours. Batangas to Manila took about 2 hours total.

So total trip was 5 hours round trip, 240kms.. topped up same station and pump, got about 12.4km/l. I think it is acceptable given it's age.

Performance though is far from what it used to do. At 5th gear, 2500rpm, I can only maintain 80kph, it used to be able to hold 100kph at that rev band. I don't know whether I should have the engine calibrated as I have never done it to the car yet.

The only big issue I have with the car right now is the driver side door hinge issue. It's loose and the door shakes.

Still a happy owner.

EDIT 1: Oh, a new issue recently surface about a month ago. The fuel gauge needle just suddenly lose the reading and drops. One time from Full it slowly dropped to E (the fuel tank warning didn't light up though). This happens even when I was on the highway but more often when stuck in traffic just idling

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I've never actually registered an average gas mileage of over 10km/L. My best was 10km/L on a Baguio trip. Of course that involved an average of 100-120 on the highway and climbing Kennon Road with 7 passengers and luggage. Performance was 100km/h at 3200rpm and top speed of 145km/h at 4600rpm. 2500rpm has always been at the vicinity of 80km/h. After that gasket replacement, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a significant improvement in highway gas mileage.

What kind of driving resulted in a transmission replacement? So far the only thing done with our Revo's transmission was replacing the clutch disc at around 80tkms if I'm not mistaken. I normally shift at 2000-2200rpm. If in the mood for faster acceleration, 3000rpm.

A/C compressor was replaced last year, and alternator was replaced earlier this year. Both were Japan surplus units. The compressor was replaced with a Denso unit, from the original Sanden and the alternator was upgraded to a bigger 85amp unit from the original 60amp unit.

Despite the number of repairs, the mechanics I've been to have always praised this car, citing it's durability and availability of spare parts. They've shared that the most common problems they fix with older Revo's seem to be the alternator, LSPV and head gasket.

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I've never actually registered an average gas mileage of over 10km/L. My best was 10km/L on a Baguio trip. Of course that involved an average of 100-120 on the highway and climbing Kennon Road with 7 passengers and luggage. Performance was 100km/h at 3200rpm and top speed of 145km/h at 4600rpm. 2500rpm has always been at the vicinity of 80km/h. After that gasket replacement, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a significant improvement in highway gas mileage.

What kind of driving resulted in a transmission replacement? So far the only thing done with our Revo's transmission was replacing the clutch disc at around 80tkms if I'm not mistaken. I normally shift at 2000-2200rpm. If in the mood for faster acceleration, 3000rpm.

A/C compressor was replaced last year, and alternator was replaced earlier this year. Both were Japan surplus units. The compressor was replaced with a Denso unit, from the original Sanden and the alternator was upgraded to a bigger 85amp unit from the original 60amp unit.

Despite the number of repairs, the mechanics I've been to have always praised this car, citing it's durability and availability of spare parts. They've shared that the most common problems they fix with older Revo's seem to be the alternator, LSPV and head gasket.
    Re Transmission. It's not a complete replacement of all, but a lot of things needed changing like the clutchdisc, the fixed ball joint at the gear level (broke twice bec of how the others drove), clutch master (primary and secondary) <-- if memory serves me right.

Reason for that was some of the one who drove the car force the transmission in gear even without depressing the clutch fully to engage it. So the first to give out would be the fixed ball joint of the gear level that "opens" the gear.

Problem surfaces where first gear slowly becomes more and more difficult to engage the longer you drive it (i.e. 20-30 mins drive). It the gear lever just wont get into first gear. Then problem slowly extends into the 2nd gear as well.

When we brought down the transmission, the technician showed us the clutch disc had "Scars" because of that. Anyway, to remove that issue completely, I am banning my parents from loaning our old beloved Revo. =) It's been good to us and I want it to last longer.

Oh, regarding speed, I got 2750-3000rpm before to clock in 100kph but that was on the Skyway/SLEX (Flat surface). But now, just 90kph and it's really noisy. I haven't got around to replacing the engine mounts as well to reduce vibration under load/high rpm. But I will get around to it maybe the end of the year.

Top speed I ever did was 140kph at about 4000rpm - Skyway about 10 years ago. But I had to stop pushing it because my steering wheel was vibrating violently. ALignment issue that time. =)

With regards to my FC. It think that is due mostly to the fact that I did drive it around 60-80kph during my last highway trip. Not only was I trying to get the optimal FC I could, the road was 90% highway (SLEX and Star Tollway) which was relatively flat, but also because I couldn't push it too much because of the door. At 80kph, any crosswind that hit the driver side door would cause it to vibrate and I could hear the wind whistling to get it the small gap because the door hinge badly needs replacing. =)

I have difficulty measuring city FC because 3 people drive the vehicle, me, my dad and our driver.

Just to inform as well, I did change over to Seaoil Diesel. I think that helped a bit (maybe) in the performance side at least. I didn't do it before from 1999-2013. But early this year, I started using Euro 4. And when I started, I poured diesel engine treatment/cleaner into the tank twice. And ever since, the engine performance was a bit smoother (Butt dyno style).

So hoping that helped in the FC department as well. =)

EDIT 1: I have not had the alternator replaced yet. But the radiator we have had. There was one time where it was registering it was overheating repeatedly eventhough it wasn't". So since it wasn't a mechanical issue, the technician just tinkered with the temp sensor/gauge. I haven't looked into it anymore but it now stays on the cold temp gauge for about 10mins before it starts to climb to the "normal" temp. I would just wait for a symptom to pop up first about the temp gauge before I do anything to it simulataneously. hehe!

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    Re Transmission. It's not a complete replacement of all, but a lot of things needed changing like the clutchdisc, the fixed ball joint at the gear level (broke twice bec of how the others drove), clutch master (primary and secondary) <-- if memory serves me right.

Reason for that was some of the one who drove the car force the transmission in gear even without depressing the clutch fully to engage it. So the first to give out would be the fixed ball joint of the gear level that "opens" the gear.

Problem surfaces where first gear slowly becomes more and more difficult to engage the longer you drive it (i.e. 20-30 mins drive). It the gear lever just wont get into first gear. Then problem slowly extends into the 2nd gear as well.

When we brought down the transmission, the technician showed us the clutch disc had "Scars" because of that. Anyway, to remove that issue completely, I am banning my parents from loaning our old beloved Revo. =) It's been good to us and I want it to last longer.

Oh, regarding speed, I got 2750-3000rpm before to clock in 100kph but that was on the Skyway/SLEX (Flat surface). But now, just 90kph and it's really noisy. I haven't got around to replacing the engine mounts as well to reduce vibration under load/high rpm. But I will get around to it maybe the end of the year.

Top speed I ever did was 140kph at about 4000rpm - Skyway about 10 years ago. But I had to stop pushing it because my steering wheel was vibrating violently. ALignment issue that time. =)

With regards to my FC. It think that is due mostly to the fact that I did drive it around 60-80kph during my last highway trip. Not only was I trying to get the optimal FC I could, the road was 90% highway (SLEX and Star Tollway) which was relatively flat, but also because I couldn't push it too much because of the door. At 80kph, any crosswind that hit the driver side door would cause it to vibrate and I could hear the wind whistling to get it the small gap because the door hinge badly needs replacing. =)

I have difficulty measuring city FC because 3 people drive the vehicle, me, my dad and our driver.

Just to inform as well, I did change over to Seaoil Diesel. I think that helped a bit (maybe) in the performance side at least. I didn't do it before from 1999-2013. But early this year, I started using Euro 4. And when I started, I poured diesel engine treatment/cleaner into the tank twice. And ever since, the engine performance was a bit smoother (Butt dyno style).

So hoping that helped in the FC department as well. =)

EDIT 1: I have not had the alternator replaced yet. But the radiator we have had. There was one time where it was registering it was overheating repeatedly eventhough it wasn't". So since it wasn't a mechanical issue, the technician just tinkered with the temp sensor/gauge. I haven't looked into it anymore but it now stays on the cold temp gauge for about 10mins before it starts to climb to the "normal" temp. I would just wait for a symptom to pop up first about the temp gauge before I do anything to it simulataneously. hehe!
    I am sometimes guilty of the offense regarding the gear shifting. It normally happens when shifting to 3rd gear, and there would be times that I would release the clutch too early resulting in a horrible grinding sound. Suppose I'd better be more careful next time!

As reconfirmed this morning, our Revo runs at 60km/h*2000rpm, 70km/h*2400rpm and 80km/h*2600rpm. I use 205/70/R14 tires, by the way.

I also use Seaoil diesel. The Revo seems to like it, along with Unioil diesel, better than Big 3 fuels. There seems to be slightly better performance with Seaoil, and slightly better FC with Unioil.

My radiator and condenser have both been replaced last year, courtesy of insurance, due to a head on collision.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    ang gaang-gaang ng revo clutch... it seems almost criminal why drivers can not depress them adequately..
    maybe the seating ergonomics makes it not that easy to do...

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Filled the Revo's tank today. I was quite surprised to get 9km/L, pure city driving! FC seems to be improving for real after changing that head gasket.

Toyota Revo Owner's Club Details