New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    well viscosity isn't the issue here the question is if an SN-RC mineral oil is good enough, if it's not then we'd all be seeing the warnings in all caps in all these user's manuals: DO NOT USE DINO JUICE

but we're not seeing those words. and let's not forget that a non-pao "fully synthetic" isn't actually FS. it's just highly tweaked dino juice that's allowed to be marketed as "fully synthetic"

so if a car says it needs at least api SL i'd be comfortable filling it up with any api SN oil i got lying around, knowing that it won't protect the engine as well as a PAO oil or high-end group3

2. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    well viscosity isn't the issue here the question is if an SN-RC mineral oil is good enough, if it's not then we'd all be seeing the warnings in all caps in all these user's manuals: DO NOT USE DINO JUICE

but we're not seeing those words. and let's not forget that a non-pao "fully synthetic" isn't actually FS. it's just highly tweaked dino juice that's allowed to be marketed as "fully synthetic"

so if a car says it needs at least api SL i'd be comfortable filling it up with any api SN oil i got lying around, knowing that it won't protect the engine as well as a PAO oil or high-end group3
    As an example, some manuals state not to change the transmission fluid since it is not necessary daw, afterwards the transmission craps out... Wala naman warning sa manual.

Oo nga... Kadalasan group 3 na lang. Personally I look for the API SP

3. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Kaya kung sapat naman ang power ng 1.2 for put puttering from A to B, mas madali at mura ang maintainance.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    As an example, some manuals state not to change the transmission fluid since it is not necessary daw, afterwards the transmission craps out... Wala naman warning sa manual.

Oo nga... Kadalasan group 3 na lang.

haha yeah. factory filled for life so if it craps out in 150k then that's the end of its life therefore "lifetime fluid" is accurate LOL. but of course not everyone reaches 150k so technically they don't need to change tranny fluid

the point is different people need different things. a person who tows trailers on the said tranny will definitely need to replace his lifetime fluid or else premature failure

so the same is true w/ engine oils. api SL is "good enough" for the raize as a minimum requirement. if you drive hard or plan to keep it for 20+ years then it's probably a good idea to use better oil

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bxr monkey View Post
    Kaya kung sapat naman ang power ng 1.2 for put puttering from A to B, mas madali at mura ang maintainance.
    Could be the sweet spot...🤔

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post

Oo nga... Kadalasan group 3 na lang. Personally I look for the API SP
    personally... We've never replaced oil on a (Manual) Transmission and Differential -> grew up with Taxis and Jeeps

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    personally... We've never replaced oil on a (Manual) Transmission and Differential -> grew up with Taxis and Jeeps
    only once did we replace our MT oil and Diff oil.
    that was after wading thru ondoy.
    upon checking kasi, their oils had taken on the textbook coffee color.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    Is manual tranny and diff fluids can last for a lifetime use?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

9. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post

Probably not. Subaru recommends changing differential oils every 3 years and complying with it doesn't hurt... bought 3 liters of petron diff fluid, DIYed it, only cost me around 1.3k all in all. With how cheap it is, I don't know why one wouldn't change it...

Manual transmission fluid, I'd change it based on the recommended date printed on the service manual.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post

amsoil synchromesh says up to 150,000 miles. that's like 240,000 km

but my honda using honda MTF: normal schedule is 6yrs/120k, severe is 3yr/60k

yung ford ko lifetime fluid daw but i'll probably replace it eventually.