New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Oh yeah, saw it earlier. I don't think its for sale though. Seemed like there was a Toyota car club EB today.
    yup... toyota makati let grupotoyota use their facilities for the car club's GEB. such a treat. well, on display in their showroom are dressed up yaris and prius. ganda ng prius, but still i can't get off my mind that i used to take a ride on these as taxis in BC.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bosstl View Post
    yup... toyota makati let grupotoyota use their facilities for the car club's GEB. such a treat. well, on display in their showroom are dressed up yaris and prius. ganda ng prius, but still i can't get off my mind that i used to take a ride on these as taxis in BC.
    Oh cool kaya pala! Naki-kain na ren ako ng free dirty ice cream inside the showroom

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    does anyone know kung kailan dadatin ang toyota prius dito sa atin, and is it really for 1.8M ? ganun ka mahal ?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    1.8m to 2.2m.

Those are the taxes for the going price of the Prius. In the US, it's only 22,000 dollars, which should be just a million pesos. BUT: that's 22,000 dollars after tax incentives and dealer incentives (Toyota sells the Prius at a loss to keep their core hybrid customers happy). So what should be a million peso car is actually worth about 1.3 - 1.5 million pesos... and about 2 million after tax (which is whay Toyota paid locally to bring in their Prius units.)

Even with tax incentives, it will be around 1.5 million pesos.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hybrid is NOT the way to go.

Aside from being overly expensive, they will pollute the environment too. Those batteries aint gonna last forever, after a year or two, you'll have to replace them because they're burned out. Where are you going to dump those humongous batteries then?

Hi-tech diesels are better. Their emissions are even lower than most hybrids. for example, SantaFe CRDi vs Lexus 470h (h means hybrid). They're way cheaper too. Who'd want to pay for an overpriced, anti-environment, supercompact car? fools maybe.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    i read somewhere that the environmental cost of running a hummer 2 is better than the prius, because of the batteries and the estimated servicable life of the vehicle.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I've already spotted three Prius units on the road in the last 6 days, complete with license plates.

So malamang na gray market units pa yun?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    i guess, gray market yun. si james deakin naka prius.

25km/L yata sha.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    There's also one or two Camry hybrids running around.

As for pollution from disposing the batteries, that's actually not a big issue... as batteries are recyclable, but the pollution from their production is all too real.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Hybrid is NOT the way to go.

Aside from being overly expensive, they will pollute the environment too. Those batteries aint gonna last forever, after a year or two, you'll have to replace them because they're burned out. Where are you going to dump those humongous batteries then?

Hi-tech diesels are better. Their emissions are even lower than most hybrids. for example, SantaFe CRDi vs Lexus 470h (h means hybrid). They're way cheaper too. Who'd want to pay for an overpriced, anti-environment, supercompact car? fools maybe.
    But DIESEL engines aren't the end-all-be-all either....

Like any current engine tech, it still has its disadvantages. It still consumes quite a lot during idle (it can't beat a hybrid there) and although it's easier to create diesel, it's still a pain to refine the fuel.

And seriously, hybrid batteries don't burn out in 2-3 years. Where the hell did you get that crap from? In the US, Japan and Europe, Toyota provides a battery warranty of 7-8 years and even with that, wala pa ngang mga reported cases of battery failure (sources: edumunds.com; carspyshots.net, etc.). What's more, Toyota (and a few other manufactuers) aceept hybrid batteries once you want to get rid of them (kasama sa battery recycling program nila)

Also another BS item is the pollution figure against hybrids. In fact, they produce very minimal emissions. Sa US, there hasn't been a diesel that qualifies for the SU-LEV category.......yet (hanggang ULEV-II pa lamang atm). So sa ngayon, hybrids from Toyota and Honda are the only ones to reach that category.

Another item is your unfair comparison between a Santa Fe CRDI and a Lexus RX400h. Be advised that the latter has a 3.3 V6 engine with hybrid motor (thus the equivalence to a 4.0L V8). What were you thinking comparing a 2.2 diesel to a 3.3 V6 gas/petrol engine (mated to Ni-MH motor)? My golly, that's just an unfair comparison. Plus, you bring in the equation of emissions. I'm sorry to say that you are WRONG.

CO2 emissions:
    Santa Fe 2.2 = 193 g/km
    Lexus RX400h = 192 g/km

Still has the slight upperhand even if the latter has a bigger displacement engine.

You are right about overall efficiency in that diesels still are better than hybrids on that (I too agree on this) and overall costs still favors diesel.....pero you're other statements are just purely misleading. You state it as if diesel is all high and mighty yet you mention that hybrid is just a 100% white elephant. And worse is that you even state that current hybrids emit more CO2 emissions than current diesel engines??? I wonder what website did you search for all that crap.

I have no bias against any engine tech (I have two gasoline cars at home; four diesel vehicles at that...and I praise the Lexus LS 600 hybrid).....but unlike you (a one-sided diesel fanboy), there are other people who keep their mind open and view all of the current and upcoming fuel technologies with an open mind.

So I guess.....that post you made was so biased that I don't even know what to think. But in any way either, I guess that's something that even you, a pure diesel fanboy who made a clearly one-sided ignorant post, wouldn't even understand for a long while.