New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Just to add you can't take it to your favorite mechanic since they won't know anything about the electronics and how it connects to the electric motor. Simple brake repairs will need to be done at the casa along with everything else. So in essence the casa will be holding you by your balls as long as you own the car. Also the batteries will need to be changed at some point (8 to 10 years) and the cost of those will be close to 50% of the depreciated value of the car. The batteries will also have a shorter life if you use the electric motor more since it will drain faster. Guess what you will be using more in stop and go traffic? It's not the gas engine but the electric motor and that's how you save gas. Selling it will be hard if you haven't changed batteries since most buyers probably won't want a car that will need the batteries changed in 1-2 years. BTW estimated cost of the replacement is $3K-$5K so presuming it is $3K then that will be Php150,000 * the $1=Php50 exchange rate at the very least.
    Well I totally agree with you, haven't met a mechanic who knows it all. I can't even find the right guy to fix my Odyssey...since most of them scratch their heads when I bring it to them.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    so which type of engine is easier to maintain anyway? Diesel or Gas?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by phat_boy View Post
    so which type of engine is easier to maintain anyway? Diesel or Gas?
    Pretty much even steven. But I'm handier around diesel engines. I don't like messing around with spark plugs, condensers, distributors, etc.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    according to this study i read recently,

an Expedition is more environmentally friendly than the Prius.

hard to imagine, but if you count not just the fossil fuel consumption but also the environmental impact of building the car -- the Prius is crammed with exotic and expensive (and toxic!) materials that are very hard to dispose of. like the batteries.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    according to this study i read recently,

an Expedition is more environmentally friendly than the Prius.
    ... and who made the study?... Ford?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Real men use v12

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie_123 View Post
    Finally the PRIUS is available in the Philippines! !
    Officially sold here? How much?
    I though they were just going to bring a unit for display at the 2nd World of Toyota Mototshow(Sept.22-28).
    Toyota Prius

Quote Originally Posted by newbie_123
    What about a Ford Escape Hybrid? Is it a Diesel engine also?
    Escape Hybrid uses a 2.3 liter Gasoline engine + electric motor.

The Toyota Prius and Ford Escape Hybrid are Full hybrids and can run on pure electric power.
    The 2nd gen Prius uses an electric aircon.

The Honda Civic Hybrid's system is known as an Assist hybrid.
    Assist Hybrids can't run on their electric motor alone, its either the gasoline engine only or the gasoline engine + the electric motor.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    ang alam ko idodonate ng toyota yung PRius sa govt. Well, malalaman ko mamaya, aattend ako ng opening ceremonies.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I can't remember who made the study, but I know it wasn't Ford.

Yes, Expeditions cost very little in terms of material and money... that's why Ford makes so many! They make megabucks off of what they sell them for.

RE: Prius, there's still no official word... same with the Honda Civic Hybrid which Honda was test marketing.

There really isn't much of a market for hybrids here in the Philippines... people who want to save money on gas will get something like a Picanto or a Jazz/City... cars which can almost match the Prius's real world efficiency, yet which cost less than half as much as a new Prius.

A Prius would likely cost 1.7 to 2 million pesos in Philippine currency. By the time you've made back your money on a Prius versus a Picanto, both cars will be around 20 years old or so... with nearly half a million kilometers on them... and the Prius would be on its second set of batteries, which may cost a couple of hundred thousand pesos more...

Hybrids make more sense as a luxury or performance item... a way to have more power while using a bit less gas. Like turbodiesels... but even more so... From an economy point of view, they're not viable.... yet.

But they may never be viable. A single-engine LPG, CNG, turbodiesel or even pure electric car makes more sense from an economy standpoint.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Our gov't has a Gen1 Prius. Saw it being serviced at Toyota Bicutan last Jan.

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast