New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    P2.2M for a Prius is CRAZY. How much gas do you use in a year? Just P40-45T.

I'd rather get a HONDA CIVIC, keep P450T for 10-years of gas. And still have P800T for an extra Honda CITY.

This is nothing more than a racket.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    From Motioncars.com

"Because the Philippine government is more concerned about *** tapes and missing cell phone loads, more important legislation such as incentives for environmentally-friendly vehicles were pretty much shelved. In an interview with ABS-CBN, Toyota says that around half of the Prius’s P 2.25-million price tag is because of import duties, excise tax and value-added tax. If only the government really worked for it, then the Philippine-spec Prius would have cost somewhere in the region of US$ 20,900 (P 1.045-million). Now, while we wait for Green Peace and other environmental-centric groups to rally, here’s what you get P 2.25-million."

Grabe talaga gobyerno di ginagawa assignment

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by susmaryousef View Post
    From Motioncars.com

"Because the Philippine government is more concerned about *** tapes and missing cell phone loads, more important legislation such as incentives for environmentally-friendly vehicles were pretty much shelved. In an interview with ABS-CBN, Toyota says that around half of the Prius’s P 2.25-million price tag is because of import duties, excise tax and value-added tax. If only the government really worked for it, then the Philippine-spec Prius would have cost somewhere in the region of US$ 20,900 (P 1.045-million). Now, while we wait for Green Peace and other environmental-centric groups to rally, here’s what you get P 2.25-million."

I think part of the high price is also Toyota's fault.

Based on the photos, the Prius sold here is probably the lower-mid range "S" or "G" model...
    Prius S 2,200,000 yen
    Prius G 2,450,000 yen

For comparison:
    ...a mid-spec 2.4 liter 4WD Rav4 Style in Japan costs 2,410,000 yen
    ...a 2.4 liter 4WD Vanguard 240S (luxury JDM Rav4) in Japan costs 2,651,250 yen
    ...while the 2.4 liter Estima G (based on the photos, looks very similar to the Previa Q sold here) in Japan costs 3,160,000 yen.

------------------------------------------------
    CBU from Japan Previa 2.4Q P2.372M
    CBU from Japan Rav4 2.4 4WD P1.825M

CBU from Japan Prius P2.25M

Even with the current taxes, I think the lower spec Prius sold here should still cost less than P2
    Last edited by AG4; June 23rd, 2009 at 06:04 AM.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Interesting! The Prius is not shown in Toyota PH's website. Not in the pricelists nor is its specs in the website. I think Toyota knows this is really a niche product with its own target market.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I think the Phils. will be getting the Gen 1 Prius. I think the Gen 2 is a CBU from China.

Pretty sure the Prius will flop here. I'd rather buy a diesel vehiclebecause weather we like it or not, a diesel vehicle still has a better fuel economy than the Prius. Now, if it were a diesel hybrid that would be a great idea. Just save up your P2.2 mil for a 1.3L car.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    ridiculous pricing , with 2.2M I bought my I10 1.1 + gas and maintenance ko na for 60yrs.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hehehe forget the i10 its a small car you could even buy a Camry and still have maintenance and fuel for many many years.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    It's really a hard investment to own a Prius.

For one, the maintenance. I bet you wouldn't have any Toyota mechanics rushing up to you saying they know how to repair the Hybrid engine.

Second, readily available parts. Also, aftermarket performance parts are a null for this vehicle.

Third, is the Prius even tropicalized? Mg gf and I own a 1st Gen Prius and it was struggling back in West Palm, Florida. Don't konw if the heat got to it or what?!?

Fourth, get yourself a pre-owned Volvo S40 or BMW 3 series. You'll have the badge, safety and performance and still save somewhere from P1mil to P500k
    to spare. I'm pretty sure your annual gas expenses won't exceed P100k.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by susmaryousef View Post
    From Motioncars.com

So what's new in Phil politics with politicians who would jet their way to Vegas at a moment's notice to watch the Pacman fight even if they have a backload of important bills to review deliberate over?

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    I think part of the high price is also Toyota's fault.
    i believe it's the material cost that makes it expensive. building a regular fuel engined vehicle is cheaper since most of the parts are similar to the ones used by other models, they only differ on the sizes.

but when it comes to hybrid vehicles, you will need to build a regular car, plus a motor with enough power, plus a huge lithium ion battery, plus the most important thing, a "smart" computer to manipulate the engine and the motor.

susunod dyan ang labor cost. obvious naman kung alin mas mahal di ba.

this is the reason why the prius is given a high price tag considering its size. but the technology it has, it's really worth it. the Honda Insight is cheaper than the Toyota Prius, but according to reviews, Prius has better built-quality and interior and returns better fuel consumption than the Insight (you really get what you paid for).

TAX ang nagpapamahal sa Prius, and not the manufacturer itself. sana naman gumawa ng aksyon ang government regarding this. if it will to be priced at below PHP1.2M(or 1.5M), it can be one of my compact sedan choices. but if it will stay PHP2.25M, i'd rather buy an SUV instead...