New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2015

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The current list:

I'm glad my car isn't on the list. In addition, all modern cars with a diagnostic port are vulnerable to being stolen if left unlocked. Sometimes, a determined car thief would simply break the glass and then use a laptop to start the car.

That's why I also look for signs of anyone who might be following me. And yeah. I know for sure I've been followed by car thieves. We're one hour from the border. Once a car is stolen, it's gone forever.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2019
    "The researchers din not publish information"

I guess they are using techniques like "brute force attack". Or even packet sniffing. OMG I remember my college Information Technology days.

It makes me think that a car can be remotely started or driven, just like what you see in the Fast and Furious "God's Eye" scene.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    can't this be mitigated by the same measures against signal boosters used in relay attacks on smart key/smart entry equipped cars?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    balik susi!
    heh heh.

seriously,
    i am not into computers, but,
    if it can be broken into and driven away by anyone with a laptop...
    Last edited by dr. d; March 7th, 2020 at 10:49 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    balik susi!
    heh heh.

seriously,
    i am not into computers, but,
    if it can be broken into and driven away by anyone with a laptop...
    My Camry also has a built-in WiFi hotspot. I disabled it just in case. Plus, I'm not using it, anyway.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    nothing we can do against these technology hackers. there are car thieves in every country. but only way to combat these is by installing a gps locator and maybe a steering wheel lock lol.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    nothing we can do against these technology hackers. there are car thieves in every country. but only way to combat these is by installing a gps locator and maybe a steering wheel lock lol.
    the steering wheel lock works for me.
    actually, the most effective anti-theft device, is the one that is in plain sight.
    nothing better that makes a would-be carnapper think thrice, than a gadget that he thinks will make it more difficult for him to steal the car.
    hey! that blinking dummy pilot light actually works! just don't make it look like a dummy light. heh heh.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    the steering wheel lock works for me.
    actually, the most effective anti-theft device, is the one that is in plain sight.
    nothing better that makes a would-be carnapper think thrice, than a gadget that he thinks will make it more difficult for him to steal the car.
    hey! that blinking dummy pilot light actually works! just don't make it look like a dummy light. heh heh.
    you really fill our imaginations with your quirky posts doc!

"plain sight" ... man I need to read more books..... looking at amazon for books :D paperbacks

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sometimes, I wish I still had my old 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6 with its dents/scratches/scrapes, broken sun visor, quirky window switch, and over 200k miles on the odometer. I often left it unlocked, hoping someone would steal it. There were no takers. In fact, some people with newer cars sort of resented me parking it next to theirs.

The Toyota dealer wouldn't even take it as a trade-in.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 8th, 2020 at 06:00 AM.