New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Parang yun kasi ang sabi sa thread na ito. How a variable geometry turbo works

Anyone who has a Fortuner with the 3L D4D has a Variable Geometry turbo charger,
    the 2.5L D4D engines, afaik, also have the Variable Geometry Turbo Charger
    Local Fortuner has LSD? . Or is the poster referring to the Torsen center diff (not an actual axle mounted LSD).

Anyone tried 'testing' for an LSD? [lifting both rear tires, spin one, if the other spins in the same direction then it's LSD, if not it's an open diff]

Anyone care to shed some light? Thanks
    Last edited by OTEP; November 7th, 2006 at 12:09 PM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    walang rear LSD yung local Fortuner to my knowledge. he could be referring to the locking limited-slip center diff

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    According to Top Gear Philippines, meron daw ang LOCAL Fortuner.

Sa Toyota PH Website it's not mentioned kung meron or wala. Other Toyota websites (e.g. Malaysia, Brunei...etc.), the Torsen LSD feature is heavily marketed na meron.

So, I'll take it....with a grain of salt.

http://pinoyfortuner.14.forumer.com/...e21947f166385c

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think the local Fortuner has a lockable Torsen center diff (which is effectively a limited-slip unit when unlocked), however, it does not have a limited-slip diff at the rear axle.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A center diff is a device that allows a 4wd vehicle to operate on paved roads.

An axle mounted LSD is a traction aiding device for off-road use. A full locking rear diff is offered in some markets as well.

Local units have a Torsen LSD for the center diff. I'm not sure about the rear axle. I thought it was open all along.

How about the VGT?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Ano yung VGT? Bagong variant?

Alam ko lang 3.0V, 2.7G and 2.5G.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    VGT means "Variable Geometry Turbocharger" means that the blade of the turbocharger can be adjusted electronically based on the parameters of the unit like speed and acceleration.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Fortuner sure doesn't feel like it has a VGT. It's a very distinct feeling driving a VGT diesel, as it feels as linear as a non-turbo gas engine. There's still lag and ramp up on the Fortuner.

And the 2.5 DEFINITELY DOESN'T HAVE VGT. I've driven the 2.5 manual D4D on many occassions, and even with the manual tranny has a lot of lag that VGT engines don't possess.

Maybe that's for the 2007 Fortuner?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK

For the Fortuner it has torsen-type diffs for the center & open-type diffs for both axles. It is not equipped with a "classical" LSD at the axles.

While for the gen2 Rav4 it uses a vicsous-coupling differential instead for the center & open-type diffs for both axles.

And NO... the 3.0L & 2.5L D4D engines here are not VGT equipped. Maybe for the European D4D engines (I know their 2.2L D4D engine pumps out more torque than the 3.0L D4D).

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    oh yes the fortuner DOES have VGT at both the 3.0 and 2.5 variants. toyota calls it variable nozzle turbo or VNT. kahit low rpm rinig mo tunog ng turbo, that's one feature of VGT compared to non VGT turbos which maririnog mo turbo pag umabot na sa 2500 rpm...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Is the Toyota Fortuner VGT and LSD equipped?