New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Two-plus-two sports car and mid-engined two-seater will go away after 2005 model year.
    July 18, 2004: 3:00 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The Toyota Celica and MR2 sports cars will no longer be sold after the 2005 model year, Toyota announced Friday.

"The Celica and MR2 have been a favorite amongst sports car enthusiasts since their introductions in the U.S.," said Don Esmond, senior vice president and general manager of the Toyota Division of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A.

The past few years, however, have been very challenging for both Celica and MR2 as competition in a segment where 'what's new' dominates and we continue to add more exciting and youthful products to the lineup such as the Matrix and Corolla XRS, Solara sports coupe and recently the Scion xA, xB and tC," he said.

The Celica has been through seven generations and was first sold in the United States in 1971. At various times, the Celica has been named Motor Trend's "Import Car of the Year," one of Car and Driver's "Ten Best Cars," and the "Most Reliable Sporty Car" by Consumer Reports.

The MR2, a mid-engined, rear-wheel-drive two-seater was introduced in 1985. A supercharged version of the car was introduced in 1988 and a turbocharged version in 1991. After 1995, the MR2 went out of production until 2000, when the third-generation version was introduced.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Maybe sa USDM lang?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    yup,this is for the US only

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    scion ata papalit sa celica eh

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    wala nang natirang sports cars yung Toyota sa US hehe. the scion tC is a good car at a great price, but it competes in a different price range than the RSX and Eclipse (which the Celica competed against)

at the high end, it's got nothing to challenge the NSX and Corvette (like it did with the Supra before)

nothing to compete against the 350Z and S2000 too, or even the Miata for that matter

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i'm glad they are getting rid of the 3rd gen mr2...imo the car completely strayed from its roots and its fan base.

when i bought my gen 2 i was looking for a 'poor man's ferrari' - mid-engine, strong acceleration, handling second to none - and it pretty much gave me all that.

the new mr2 is more like a gutless miata...i'm not surprised it didn't sell.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    R.I.P. Celica and MR2!

8. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    ows! i didnt know that celica and mr2 will be phased out, i just bought my mr2 last december and sales of mr2 here in sydney is good as ever because of the promotion they have last year.... every middle of the year we have this australian gt and for 2 straight years a couple of mr2's participated and won atleast 5 awards...

i dont think celicas or mr2s will be phased out here in aus, in every car show there is a celica or a mr2 .....

i humbly disagree bout the comparison of miata n mr2, sorry but the specifications of both cars are ... a little different.... and mr2 has more... ;)

Toyota discontinuing Celica and MR2