New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 39 of 203 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by number001
    Toyota has NOT "invested heavily in manufacturing and employment in our country". Most of their units being sold here are all imports. Toyota does not use our country for exports. Toyota is just here to profit from their sales
    errrr....these are the facts: Toyota Motor Philippines Inc. is the largest automotive employer in our country, TMPI pays hundreds of millions of pesos in local taxes each year, TMPI established a huge manual transmission plant in the philippines to MANUFACTURE and EXPORT manual transmissions both for the IMV (innova, hilux and fortuner) and its sedans

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by moneywhiz
    errrr....these are the facts: Toyota Motor Philippines Inc. is the largest automotive employer in our country, TMPI pays hundreds of millions of pesos in local taxes each year, TMPI established a huge manual transmission plant in the philippines to MANUFACTURE and EXPORT manual transmissions both for the IMV (innova, hilux and fortuner) and its sedans
    Quote Originally Posted by number001
    Personally, I dont go to Santa Rosa and certainly I dont know what's inside that "big building complex" of Toyota. What I do know comes from the business section of the newspapers and the sales agents at various dealerships whom I talk to.

Some facts I gathered which lead me to the conclusion regarding Toyota's faltering investment behavior in the Philippines:

*I have read about Toyota closing down their plant in Bicutan after the last Revo rolled out of the production line.

*It is a well known fact that all the IMVs are all made in Thailand (well you can include the CKD kits of the Innovas which are assembled here). The Fortuners and Hi-Lux are both confirmed CBU imports from Thailand.

*I saw a Vios in the showroom with a shipping sticker indicating its origin being Thailand. I asked the sales agents, "so these are also CBUs from Thailand?" Their reply: "Yes, essentially it comes to the Toyota plant complete with only minor assembly/installation."

*The Hi-Ace is another confirmed import CBU from Japan. A sales agent also told me that their Camry are from Japan as well. Even if its still unverified, the Prado is for sure another CBU import also.

Which leaves us with the Altis as the sole product that Toyota is producing or simply assembling?? here in the Philippines. In contrast to other manufacturers esp. Ford/Mazda, Honda and Nissan, etc. Toyota looks like an underachiever and a very risk averse one at that.

Toyota does have parts manufacturing capabilities here, which among others is the manual transmission for the IMVs but that is only because Toyota does not want to hedge all their bets in one location (Thailand). The Philippines is merely regaled with a back-up role along with India in case of parts shortages. Toyota's manufacturing darling in Asia (outside Japan) is in Thailand, to which Toyota is further expanding into another plant in the south to accomodate increasing demand for the Hi-Lux. Well that's certainly something I havent heard Toyota announce in a long time here in the Philippines.
    I rest my case. I'm soooo off-topic already. But a final thought. Paying lots of taxes, operating big buildings and being the "biggest" automotive company (largely bec. of sales volume) are just superficial evidences that may or may not suggest that Toyota is indeed a major investor in this country. How will we know if Toyota really invest in manufacturing infrastructures (ie. car manufacturing and assembly) and Filipino talents, if all Toyota does is to import the majority of the vehicles that they sell here. Toyota's investments here are quite paltry, if not insulting, compared to its other competitors. Read my previous post.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    sad but true....pero wala tayong magagawa if car makers would not put manufacturing plants here. the high cost of electricity is prohibitive for manufacturing, we have a very small car market and the rampant car smuggling of 2nd hand cars in Subic would discourage manufacturers from investing heavily. anyways, OT na ako hehehe!

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lexus
    after reading all the D4D woes, i tried to check mine cause i have not been using my innova (2.5 D4D G, manual). my odometer reading is only 2900 km so i went for a relatively long trip - 250 km just to check the performance.

result: nothing unusual on the power and the consumption. engine is very responsive. so i park again the innova in my garage and was very relieved.

this morning (2 days after my drive test), i decided to use my innova to go to the church for the early morning mass. woolah... its hard to start the engine. after 5 attempts it finally started but i have to press the throttle a little bit. so i tried to warm up the engine and went around for a kilometer. after turning off the engine i immediately turned it on, same thing - if i dont press the pedal, engine will just turn off by itself.

i'm planning to have my innova serviced after the holidays hopefully they can fix it or better still replace the whole damn common rail.

TO THOSE WHO HAVEN'T experienced the said problem i suggest you check yours and drive it around.!
    i suggest lets make a list of owners with D4D problems so we will have statistics.

1. LEXUS - D4D Manual G - hard start, engine immediately turns off on initial idling.

service: unit will soon be serviced. will post later any parts replaced
    Last edited by lexus; December 24th, 2005 at 02:08 PM.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by agreyes7110
    Again I agree that there is a problem with a few of the D4D engines, what I don't agree about is the conclusion that this problem is an inherent design flaw in the diesel engines and should be the cause of a widespread media circus to bash Toyota and force a recall of all the 10,145 D4D units. Consequently this will cause the free fall of the resale value of our hard earned D4D Innovas, Fortuners and Hiluxes.

I understand your being protective about your hard-earned purchase, but then again why stop the media publicity about a reliability issue on Toyota? Is it because you will have a hard time selling a junk product to another unsuspecting buyer?

I'm not trying to hit your idea. It's just that nawawala yung prinsipyo on why we must let the public know, because self-protection is coming in. Toyota has been screwing us for the longest time.

As a separate effort, I have been telling friends and friends of friends NOT TO BUY the Innova or Fortuner D4Ds. Just see the "Yaiiks!" look on their faces when they learned about the stalling problem on the engines. I could say I was able to change the buying decisions of a couple of folks who were shopping for a vehicle this Christmas.

If there's anyone to blame on this fallout. Blame Toyota's customer service handling.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    How about building awareness of the problem first.

Thanks to BOYFERRARI for the idea:

1) I'm sure many of us belong to several e-groups (ie yahoo groups), start by emailing all these e-groups a short warning and telling them to avoid the D4-D engines.

2) Email anyone else you know who may not belong to these e-groups.

3) Discuss and warn relatives, friends, officemates, classmates, associates, etc. about it.

4) Email several newspaper columnists.

All we have to do is build the awareness, momentum and the media will pick it up from there.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lexus
    i suggest lets make a list of owners with D4D problems so we will have statistics.

1. LEXUS - D4D Manual G - hard start, engine immediately turns off on initial idling.

service: unit will soon be serviced. will post later any parts replaced
    Welcome to club of Disgusted owner of D4d

StrayWolf
    Lord
    larshell
    3Kings
    lexus

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    hindi naman siguro dapat tawagin junk product kasi the Toyota D4D is a new technology. ang masakit lang talaga dito eh naging guinea pig talaga yan mga nauna bumili.
    Last edited by oldblue; December 25th, 2005 at 05:35 AM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    We are about to trade our 02 Revo GLX diesel for an Innova E model to Toyota Manila Bay when I saw this ad on "Buy & Sell" mag about an Innova G A/T 5-2005 (D4D) for only 750k. We checked the unit yesterday and it was really nice! Dark mist color all stock and it has 12k on the odo. Just wondering why sell a very nice car for 300k less?? Told me he wants to upgrade. Did beleive him till I read your threads. And to think we were supposed to give a down payment today! Tsk3x Better stick to our good ol Revo 2L instead.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I'll ask the guy if he's had any stalling problems with his Innova. I'll update you guys on his reply (if he's honest enuf to tell the truth)

Toyota D4D engine woes