New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 18 of 203 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    is that the reason why they recommend letting the car idle for at least a minute after running at high speeds? to release pressure in the intake? isn't the car engine doing that always, also through the wastegate?

isn't it that the main reason is to let the turbo cool down by using the oil circulating in the turbo's bearings to carry heat away from the turbo? if the oil cooling the turbo bearings kasi get hot, it sort of degrades and will eventually gum up/coke the bearings, eventually destroying the turbo diba?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nugundam93
    isn't it that the main reason is to let the turbo cool down by using the oil circulating in the turbo's bearings to carry heat away from the turbo? if the oil cooling the turbo bearings kasi get hot, it sort of degrades and will eventually gum up/coke the bearings, eventually destroying the turbo diba?
    As I just found-out, this is exactly the case why you need to idle turbo diesel engines after long drives... But, the D4D problems are injection pump related and not turbo related, as per owners affected.
    Last edited by vicoyski; November 14th, 2005 at 10:20 AM.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vicoyski
    As I just found-out, this is exactly the case why you need to idle turbo diesel engines after long drives... But, the D4D problems are injection pump related and not turbo related, as per owners affected.

I agree wd you my problem wd my Innova is not related wd Turbo i also ask my SA just to be sure.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nugundam93
    is that the reason why they recommend letting the car idle for at least a minute after running at high speeds? to release pressure in the intake? isn't the car engine doing that always, also through the wastegate?

Idling the engine for sometime before switching it off, the main purpose is to cool down the engine including your turbo especially if you have just subjected your engine to high speed. In fact, a minute for me seems not enough. Should be at least 3-5 minutes to allow the oil and cooling water to circulate more and absorb more heat generated on all moving components of the engine, The oil lubricating and cooling the engine internal parts and for the turbo bearings are all coming from one sump. Oil degradation will not only be caused by the turbo but by all engine components as well. Most turbo failure is due to insufficient lubrication caused by poor quality of oil being used.Some oil tend to lose their viscosity when subjected frequently to high temperatures.Synthetic oil is the best for turbocharged engines due to it's high temperature resistivity, oil like mobil 1 synthetic oil which can withstand temperature of up to 250C as they claimed.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    So every D4D has to idle for 1 minute at the gas station before killing the engine & fill up.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andre
    So every D4D has to idle for 1 minute at the gas station before killing the engine & fill up.
    Yup! For turbo diesels, dapat pag malapit ka na sa gas station, coasting ka na lang at below 1500rpm, para kasama na sa 1-2 minutes count yun. When you reach the gas station, stay muna sa may tabi while you idle. Once satisfied that you've cooled down the turbo, you can then approach the pump and turn-off your engine...

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vicoyski
    Yup! For turbo diesels, dapat pag malapit ka na sa gas station, coasting ka na lang at below 1500rpm, para kasama na sa 1-2 minutes count yun. When you reach the gas station, stay muna sa may tabi while you idle. Once satisfied that you've cooled down the turbo, you can then approach the pump and turn-off your engine...
    Ang hassle naman. Parang may ritual pa bago mong patayin ang makina.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bitoks2004
    well... talagang may pros & cons ang diesel engine.

you get huge gobs of torque down low with the help of a turbo... and in return you must make these small sacrifices to maintain the turbo.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bitoks2004
    Yan ang trade-off for getting a more powerful turbo diesel engine...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    having an intercooler helps though

Toyota D4D engine woes