New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 443 of 547 FirstFirst ... 343393433439440441442443444445446447453493543 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,430 of 5464
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Any one here tried out the Petron Blaze 100 Euro 5? Did you notice any difference in FC? Will there be problems if I keep using this high octante fuel and should I just stick to the recommended 91 RON?

I've since had 3 full tanks using the Blaze 100 Euro 5 since it was introduced and noticed my FC improve from 10km/L to 12.5km/L (highest I got was around 13.3km/L during my 2nd full tank). I was using 91 RON Shell Fuelsave before. Not really sure though if it's really the fuel or just my driving habits improving plus other factors. The route I take is the same from when I was using 91 RON Fuelsave - City-SLEX-City and back.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Can you guys/girls share your experience with the altis? I am choosing between a sedan (probably an altis after checking out several) and a pickup truck for daily driving. The reason I am considering a pickup is that it would be more durable in the long run and it would be using diesel which is cheaper. Of course the sedan would be a lot more comfortable and have a cheaper (almost 200k) initial cost. Given the condition of the roads in manila, at what mileage are the suspension, shock absorbers be expected to be replaced? any other reasons to get the sedan rather than a pick up truck?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mousemouse View Post
    Can you guys/girls share your experience with the altis? I am choosing between a sedan (probably an altis after checking out several) and a pickup truck for daily driving. The reason I am considering a pickup is that it would be more durable in the long run and it would be using diesel which is cheaper. Of course the sedan would be a lot more comfortable and have a cheaper (almost 200k) initial cost. Given the condition of the roads in manila, at what mileage are the suspension, shock absorbers be expected to be replaced? any other reasons to get the sedan rather than a pick up truck?
    if your neighborhood is masikip, or your parking space is small, a pick up would give you headaches. it is bigger and has a larger turning radius. a smaller sedan is easier to drive on crowded roads.
    i replaced my innova's shocks well after 70K km (80 or 90K ?).
    but i haven't replaced the rest of the suspension and steering parts, after over 110K.

we have innova, altis, wigo.
    at nag-uunahan kaming mga drayber sa wigo.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruov View Post
    Any one here tried out the Petron Blaze 100 Euro 5? Did you notice any difference in FC? Will there be problems if I keep using this high octante fuel and should I just stick to the recommended 91 RON?

I've since had 3 full tanks using the Blaze 100 Euro 5 since it was introduced and noticed my FC improve from 10km/L to 12.5km/L (highest I got was around 13.3km/L during my 2nd full tank). I was using 91 RON Shell Fuelsave before. Not really sure though if it's really the fuel or just my driving habits improving plus other factors. The route I take is the same from when I was using 91 RON Fuelsave - City-SLEX-City and back.
    91 RON is just the minimum octane, not necessarily the recommended octane. You can use 100 RON if you want, without any adverse effects to your engine.

Usually, Blaze is around 4 pesos or 10% more expensive than 91 RON fuel. That means that if you get 10 km/L now, you need at least 11 km/L to breakeven.

From my experience using 91, 95, 97 and 100 RON, it makes no difference for an econobox like the Altis. Same power, same fuel efficiency. Traffic conditions and driving technique are bigger factors that affect your FC.

If you wanna be scientific about it, more than just tracking your average FC, track your average speed as well. Though the 11th gen Altis resets its average speed reading every time you shut the engine off, at least you have an idea of your average speed per trip.

I usually get 8 km/L at 15 kph average, 9 km/L at 18 kph average. Goes as low as 5.5 km/L at 4 kph average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I had a pickup before and have an Altis now.

Yes, the Ranger is more durable. When I used to do frequent Manila-Bicol trips, I wouldn't worry about road imperfections at high speeds because the rugged chassis and big tires helps the car easily absorb the ruts. With a sedan, I try to avoid any potholes as best as I can.

However, the Altis absolutely trumps pickups when it comes to paved roads. The Ranger, like any pickup, judders at the slightest unevenness even on cement/asphalt. The Altis has outstanding comfort for a compact, and easily absorbs minor road imperfections.

FC of the pickup is about the same as the Altis, around 8 km/L in moderate to heavy city driving. Of course, diesel is 30% cheaper than gasoline so fuel costs will be lower.

I have an older 10th gen Altis as well with 90T km on the odometer and haven't changed shocks or any suspension parts. On my Mazda 3 though, I changed front shocks, tie rods, and stab links at 100T km. Take note though, replacing the usual wear and tear suspension bits would still be cheaper compared to the price difference between a pickup and sedan.

My 2 main reasons why I gave up my pickup and opted for a sedan are superior handling and easier maneuverability.

A pickup is unnecessarily harder to drive in the city because of its length and large turning radius. Parking in malls is significantly more difficult, and so is getting in and out of narrow streets. Unless you'd actually use that bed for hauling cargo frequently, it's utterly useless. It's not even advisable to be used as a trunk because a rollup or canvas cover still isn't waterproof, and your things would just bounce around.

If you want the durability of a pickup but have no use for its bed, get an Innova or a PPV (MUX, Fortuner, etc). A PPV is more expensive but is easily more practical and versatile.

Long story short - unless you'll frequently drive through poorly paved roads and carry cargo, a sedan is cheaper, more comfortable, and more fun to drive.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    if your neighborhood is masikip, or your parking space is small, a pick up would give you headaches. it is bigger and has a larger turning radius. a smaller sedan is easier to drive on crowded roads.
    i replaced my innova's shocks well after 70K km (80 or 90K ?).
    but i haven't replaced the rest of the suspension and steering parts, after over 110K.

we have innova, altis, wigo.
    at nag-uunahan kaming mga drayber sa wigo.
    Oh, that means that the Altis is more durable that I expected. I come from driving an AUV and when I sat down on a pick up, I was surprised at its size. For the Altis, it was much more comfortable to ride on. I will give myself a couple of weeks to decide. The only reason I am considering a pickup is due to the pot holes in our roads, which is no problem for sedans apparently. I guess I just have to be aware and stop at the pot holes if I get a sedan haha.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I had a pickup before and have an Altis now.

Yes, the Ranger is more durable. When I used to do frequent Manila-Bicol trips, I wouldn't worry about road imperfections at high speeds because the rugged chassis and big tires helps the car easily absorb the ruts. With a sedan, I try to avoid any potholes as best as I can.

However, the Altis absolutely trumps pickups when it comes to paved roads. The Ranger, like any pickup, judders at the slightest unevenness even on cement/asphalt. The Altis has outstanding comfort for a compact, and easily absorbs minor road imperfections.

FC of the pickup is about the same as the Altis, around 8 km/L in moderate to heavy city driving. Of course, diesel is 30% cheaper than gasoline so fuel costs will be lower.

I have an older 10th gen Altis as well with 90T km on the odometer and haven't changed shocks or any suspension parts. On my Mazda 3 though, I changed front shocks, tie rods, and stab links at 100T km. Take note though, replacing the usual wear and tear suspension bits would still be cheaper compared to the price difference between a pickup and sedan.

My 2 main reasons why I gave up my pickup and opted for a sedan are superior handling and easier maneuverability.

A pickup is unnecessarily harder to drive in the city because of its length and large turning radius. Parking in malls is significantly more difficult, and so is getting in and out of narrow streets. Unless you'd actually use that bed for hauling cargo frequently, it's utterly useless. It's not even advisable to be used as a trunk because a rollup or canvas cover still isn't waterproof, and your things would just bounce around.

If you want the durability of a pickup but have no use for its bed, get an Innova or a PPV (MUX, Fortuner, etc). A PPV is more expensive but is easily more practical and versatile.

Long story short - unless you'll frequently drive through poorly paved roads and carry cargo, a sedan is cheaper, more comfortable, and more fun to drive.

Thanks for the feedback. What I was afraid of with the pickup is that it would be harder to drive given our traffic situation. I live in in the middle of manila so I'm sure it will be more difficult in traffic if I get the pickup.

As for the fuel cost, the Altis will be more expensive but I am not too worried since I only drive around 10k km a year maximum so the 200k price difference will more than cover the more expensive fuel cost over its lifetime. How about the maintenance? From what I've read in this thread, 2-5k per 5k km is normal for the the Altis. How does this compare to your Ranger before?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I on the other hand did the opposite of Jut. I had a Gen 10.5 Altis and replaced it with a Hilux as a daily driver. Yes, i had to adjust driving habits on the highway and be more aware of my handling and braking limitation but other then that, I prefer the truck over the sedan:
    - I go home to a nearby province almost weekly and during the rainy season, some roads i pass going there get light to moderate floods when there are nonstop rains; i avoid the floods well enough but i'd prefer the additional ground clearance for peace of mind.
    - When we do road trips, we enjoy driving off the highway and finding nice spots and the pick-up takes these gravel roads much better;
    - I also like buying wooden furniture pieces when we spot good ones for our home (usually in far flung places), and having a pickup comes in handy.

Where i live and work accommodates the pick-up easily but if you live or work in an tight area (notably the areas you have to park in) then it will be a bane indeed.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    I on the other hand did the opposite of Jut. I had a Gen 10.5 Altis and replaced it with a Hilux as a daily driver. Yes, i had to adjust driving habits on the highway and be more aware of my handling and braking limitation but other then that, I prefer the truck over the sedan:
    - I go home to a nearby province almost weekly and during the rainy season, some roads i pass going there get light to moderate floods when there are nonstop rains; i avoid the floods well enough but i'd prefer the additional ground clearance for peace of mind.
    - When we do road trips, we enjoy driving off the highway and finding nice spots and the pick-up takes these gravel roads much better;
    - I also like buying wooden furniture pieces when we spot good ones for our home (usually in far flung places), and having a pickup comes in handy.

Where i live and work accommodates the pick-up easily but if you live or work in an tight area (notably the areas you have to park in) then it will be a bane indeed.
    "Light floods" is a bit of an understatement vinj in your nearby province hehe.

Hopefully the roadworks they're doing now would eliminate these floods next year...

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the feedback. What I was afraid of with the pickup is that it would be harder to drive given our traffic situation. I live in in the middle of manila so I'm sure it will be more difficult in traffic if I get the pickup.

As for the fuel cost, the Altis will be more expensive but I am not too worried since I only drive around 10k km a year maximum so the 200k price difference will more than cover the more expensive fuel cost over its lifetime. How about the maintenance? From what I've read in this thread, 2-5k per 5k km is normal for the the Altis. How does this compare to your Ranger before?
    If you drive through narrow streets, the pickup will really take getting used to. Though from my experience there weren't any roads that I wasn't able to pass because of my long truck - it just made it harder, but not impossible.

My maintenance was around Php 8-10k per 10T km for the Ranger. The Altis is cheaper simply because it uses half the amount of oil, and of course Toyota's PMS prices are inherently cheaper than Ford's.