New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 222 of 329 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226232272322 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 3286
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    17,335
    #2211
    The MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor is located right after the air filter/airbox. That's the part with the wire connected to it; you can disconnect the wire and (carefully) unscrew the MAF sensor housing. When you remove it, you spray electric contact cleaner into the sensor (don't touch the hotwire inside, just spray as it's a sensitive part). Install the sensor again after cleaning it and you can also unplug the battery to reset the ECU overnight then see in the morning if there's any improvement.

    The MAF takes into account the air flow intake of the car so the ECU can determine the proper A/F mix. This gets dirty over time and can affect performance and idling a bit.

    What's the mileage of your ZZ by the way? If it persists after cleaning the MAF then you'll have to check and clean the IACV and perhaps the intake manifold na rin. A competent shop/mechanic can do the job if you're not familiar with the DIY work involved.

  2. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    358
    #2212
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    The MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor is located right after the air filter/airbox. That's the part with the wire connected to it; you can disconnect the wire and (carefully) unscrew the MAF sensor housing. When you remove it, you spray electric contact cleaner into the sensor (don't touch the hotwire inside, just spray as it's a sensitive part). Install the sensor again after cleaning it and you can also unplug the battery to reset the ECU overnight then see in the morning if there's any improvement.

    The MAF takes into account the air flow intake of the car so the ECU can determine the proper A/F mix. This gets dirty over time and can affect performance and idling a bit.

    What's the mileage of your ZZ by the way? If it persists after cleaning the MAF then you'll have to check and clean the IACV and perhaps the intake manifold na rin. A competent shop/mechanic can do the job if you're not familiar with the DIY work involved.
    Okay, I did catch sight of that part already. I just didn't know what it is for. Cool, now I get the picture. I believe I can DIY this MAF for now and see if it solves the issue. If not, then I have no choice but to bring it to a mechanic. I'll keep in mind IACV and intake manifold. ZZ is 50,000kms old. Is it a candidate already for those defects?
    Last edited by kafph2000; January 10th, 2014 at 12:44 PM.

  3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    17,335
    #2213
    ^ Should not be, IMO. Our 2007 ZZ is running at 92,000kms and it still idles well; Linis MAF lang every 10,000kms. This is even using a K&N filter.

  4. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    358
    #2214
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    ^ Should not be, IMO. Our 2007 ZZ is running at 92,000kms and it still idles well; Linis MAF lang every 10,000kms. This is even using a K&N filter.
    Oh btw, I just switched to K&N filter this last PMS. Could it be a culprit? haha Okay, I'll try cleaning it and hope it turns out successful. Thanks again!

    PS: Where can I find this electric contact cleaner? What's the exact brand and label?
    Last edited by kafph2000; January 10th, 2014 at 01:14 PM.

  5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    17,335
    #2215
    ^ I'm using K&N on both my Gen 9.5 and Gen 10.5 and they're quite okay. As for the electric contact cleaner, meron sa mga True Value and Ace Hardware; just check out the automotive shelf (LPS, CRC, Hardex, etc.)

  6. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    68
    #2216
    Had my 25K PMS last Thursday * TGC. Total bill was around ~5.8K (change oil fully synth). Is it reasonable?

  7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    17,335
    #2217
    How much is the charge per L of the oil? At Toyota Shaw i was charged 1.4K for my 25K PMS but this was because i brought my own oil... So if FS oil is around 800++ then that's 4K+ for 5 litres of oil (make sure they return the leftover oil to you because the engine only needs 4.2L-4.3L; you can use the extra oil in your next PMS).

  8. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    68
    #2218
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    How much is the charge per L of the oil? At Toyota Shaw i was charged 1.4K for my 25K PMS but this was because i brought my own oil... So if FS oil is around 800++ then that's 4K+ for 5 litres of oil (make sure they return the leftover oil to you because the engine only needs 4.2L-4.3L; you can use the extra oil in your next PMS).
    According sa receipt:
    Element Kit, Oil: 327.67
    TGFS Gallon: 2555.97
    TGFS Liter SM 5W40: 638.99
    Gasket: 31.42
    Misc B: 435.71
    I/A Braking Lining & Drums: 627.20
    Total Labor: 1058.4

    Grand Total: 5675.36 PHP

    Oohh. I didn't know na pede pla hingin yun extra oil. I'll know better next time. Btw, where do you buy your oil and how much? Is it better than the oil used by toyota?

    Thanks sir vinj.

  9. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8
    #2219
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    How much is the charge per L of the oil? At Toyota Shaw i was charged 1.4K for my 25K PMS but this was because i brought my own oil... So if FS oil is around 800++ then that's 4K+ for 5 litres of oil (make sure they return the leftover oil to you because the engine only needs 4.2L-4.3L; you can use the extra oil in your next PMS).
    Ang mura ng sa inyo boss vinj. nag 20,000 km PMS ako last saturday. topup lang ng 1 Liter fully synthetic na oil, inabot ng 4,600 (Air filter lang ang pinalitan)


  10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    17,335
    #2220
    Quote Originally Posted by kiamoyman View Post
    According sa receipt:
    Element Kit, Oil: 327.67
    TGFS Gallon: 2555.97
    TGFS Liter SM 5W40: 638.99
    Gasket: 31.42
    Misc B: 435.71
    I/A Braking Lining & Drums: 627.20
    Total Labor: 1058.4

    Grand Total: 5675.36 PHP

    Oohh. I didn't know na pede pla hingin yun extra oil. I'll know better next time. Btw, where do you buy your oil and how much? Is it better than the oil used by toyota?

    Thanks sir vinj.
    Ang hindi ko lang ma-reconcile is the inspect/adjust of the brakes and drums which had a separate charge as this should be part of the labor charge for that service stop. Did they use any brake cleaner?

    Quote Originally Posted by cornelius035 View Post
    Ang mura ng sa inyo boss vinj. nag 20,000 km PMS ako last saturday. topup lang ng 1 Liter fully synthetic na oil, inabot ng 4,600 (Air filter lang ang pinalitan)

    I buy my oil now from an online seller (Jard at sulit) or from Doc Otep (ZIC brand); the 10W-40 ZIC A (semi-synthetic) is around P220 per litre and i change this every 5,000kms.

    Here's the breakdown of my 25,000kms service at Toyota Shaw last October:
    Perform 25,000km check-up (replace engine oil/filter, inspect air filter, inspect brake pads and disks, inspect steering wheel linkage)
    Labor - P 862.40
    Oil filter element - P 327.68
    Gasket - P 31.43
    Misc. - 250
    Total: P 1,471.50

    i brought my own oil here. So far Toyota Shaw/Ortigas accepts owners who bring their own oils. Other Toyota CASAs do not (as was my experience with Toyota North EDSA).

    Normally the service intervals na 5,000, 15,000, 25,000, 35,000, etc. are "light" service stops. Mas mabigat yung mga every 10K and 20K. Yung heavy service stops are the 40K, 80K as these usually include flushing all the fluids...

Toyota Corolla 10th Generation Altis Owners [continued]