New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2005

Would be jointly-developed with BMW

Toyota's incoming chairman, Takeshi Uchiyamada, has revealed that he wants their jointly-developed sports car to be a mid-sized vehicle that is comparable to the Supra.
    Speaking to a business lobbying group in Japan, Uchiyamada said the model should be a high-performance sports car so it doesn't overlap with the GT 86 because it would be "futile if we make something similar." However, Uchiyamada acknowledges "That's what I want but it's not me who makes the decision."
    BMW and Toyota announced plans to co-develop a sports car back in January, but the companies haven't agreed on which type of model to build. Uchiyamada is leading the negotiations for Toyota, so he'll likely have some sway if BMW is willing to go along with what he is proposing.

Source: Automotive News

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Nice magkakaroon na ulit ng Supra.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    so i guess toyota can't make any fun sports car without somebody else helping them anymore.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    so i guess toyota can't make any fun sports car without somebody else helping them anymore.
    Huge cost of development is what they are avoiding. They can do it alone, yet would make the car cost as much as an LFA. Doesn't make sense. Co-developing one, is a win-win for both manufacturers.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    Huge cost of development is what they are avoiding. They can do it alone, yet would make the car cost as much as an LFA. Doesn't make sense. Co-developing one, is a win-win for both manufacturers.
    well the LFA's body is made of carbon monocoque and the engineering is truly on of a kind that's why it's that expensive. unless they're going to use carbon monocoque body and have it man made instead of machine built then the price would be close to an LFA. but if they do it as a regular production car like the 86 they can make it a lot cheaper than the LFA.