New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    sorry for the long post, but for the safety of your vehicle and your passengers, you might want to keep reading.

several weeks ago our fortuner have been having problems with excessive white smoke ( READ THREAD HERE ). after several trips to Toyota dealership in Baguio, we decided to have the unit engine overhauled (valve seal change, etc), this was sometime in the mid of september. after morethan a week of it being in the dealership, we got our unit back. they said checks and test were done and all is fine already. oil change was also done as they drained the engine etc etc.

so we got our fortuner and drove back home to la union with it. when we got home, ive noticed some noises from the front when i backed to our garage. so i txt'ed the SA and told him about the noises. he told me to bring the unit back for further checking (despite it being with them for morethan a week and claims of testing and checking everything). so come next morning (bringing kids to school, etc.) the noise worsened and by lunch ive had hunches that its coming from the front tires or somewhere connected to them because the noise became apparent only when i do full turns or run into a ditch. so by afternoon, i had the unit checked in one of the car service shops here. after a few minutes test drive to simulate the problem with the noises, he decided to lift the unit and check the ball joints and the things connected to the tires. when he couldnt find the problem, he decided to try undoing the front tires to do further checks ... then came the surprise: the front passenger side tire's nut screws were soo loose that he was able to unscrew them all by hand! needless to say i did have goosebumps! we couldve gotten into a serious accident had the tire got undone while we were on our way down naguilian road from baguio!

so as soon as i got home, i called toyota baguio and talked to their customer service. i asked them if they do some checking before releasing the vehicles and she proudly said a quality control staff is checking everything before they turn over the vehicles to the customers. when i told her about my experience, she just told me "sige sir, pagsasabihan namin yung mga technicians na gumalaw ng sasakyan" ... WTF?!?! a customer almost got into a serious accident and all you can do is "pagsasabihan" ???

you be the judge, other Toyota dealers may be great with their service. Toyota Balintawak for example who did some services to my unit when it was new did a great job. but Toyota Baguio set the bar really really low on this one. you would expect that after a major engine overhaul the problem would be solved ... but hell no, they even managed to screw things up even more!

for those in doubt, im willing to share scans of the service receipts for that led to the particular incident to the mods of this forum.

for the ones who still decides to have their vehicles serviced at Toyota Baguio, its your choice but at least request that your units not be serviced by technicians 22165 and 22510 as they are the ones showing up in my receipt as the ones who handled my unit.

... so why come out just now with the incident? just got caught up with a lot of things, most of it spending the time selling my unfixed fortuner (of course i informed the buyer of the problem and to go to toyota baguio and claim warranty of the unsuccessful overhaul done), business matters and buying a new ride. needless to say, its not a toyota anymore ... alas, i wouldve gotten myself a new prado had they just fixed the problem.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That is scary indeed, and all the more that you have your family on board in your car. Good thing nothing serious happened to you.

You should also write a formal letter to the dealer and to Toyota Motor Philippines to at least make them aware of the problem you encountered to help prevent this from happening to other people as well.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    valid for legal action...ask your lawyer for that.

tyt baguio should formally apologize either calling you or a letter but i doubt gagawin nila dahil pwede yan maging evidence against them...

Nangyari sa akin yan dati after nagpa tire rotation, not in casa, inaway ko ng tudo ang shop.
    Actually not once, napatakbo lang namin ang car around 25km, added injury ang pagkaubos ng thread, laking gastos sa machine shop after that incident.

Kaya after that, check ko lahat lug nut before long trip.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by iggyzaf View Post
    sorry for the long post, but for the safety of your vehicle and your passengers, you might want to keep reading.

several weeks ago our fortuner have been having problems with excessive white smoke ( READ THREAD HERE ). after several trips to Toyota dealership in Baguio, we decided to have the unit engine overhauled (valve seal change, etc), this was sometime in the mid of september. after morethan a week of it being in the dealership, we got our unit back. they said checks and test were done and all is fine already. oil change was also done as they drained the engine etc etc.

so we got our fortuner and drove back home to la union with it. when we got home, ive noticed some noises from the front when i backed to our garage. so i txt'ed the SA and told him about the noises. he told me to bring the unit back for further checking (despite it being with them for morethan a week and claims of testing and checking everything). so come next morning (bringing kids to school, etc.) the noise worsened and by lunch ive had hunches that its coming from the front tires or somewhere connected to them because the noise became apparent only when i do full turns or run into a ditch. so by afternoon, i had the unit checked in one of the car service shops here. after a few minutes test drive to simulate the problem with the noises, he decided to lift the unit and check the ball joints and the things connected to the tires. when he couldnt find the problem, he decided to try undoing the front tires to do further checks ... then came the surprise: the front passenger side tire's nut screws were soo loose that he was able to unscrew them all by hand! needless to say i did have goosebumps! we couldve gotten into a serious accident had the tire got undone while we were on our way down naguilian road from baguio!

so as soon as i got home, i called toyota baguio and talked to their customer service. i asked them if they do some checking before releasing the vehicles and she proudly said a quality control staff is checking everything before they turn over the vehicles to the customers. when i told her about my experience, she just told me "sige sir, pagsasabihan namin yung mga technicians na gumalaw ng sasakyan" ... WTF?!?! a customer almost got into a serious accident and all you can do is "pagsasabihan" ???

you be the judge, other Toyota dealers may be great with their service. Toyota Balintawak for example who did some services to my unit when it was new did a great job. but Toyota Baguio set the bar really really low on this one. you would expect that after a major engine overhaul the problem would be solved ... but hell no, they even managed to screw things up even more!

for those in doubt, im willing to share scans of the service receipts for that led to the particular incident to the mods of this forum.

for the ones who still decides to have their vehicles serviced at Toyota Baguio, its your choice but at least request that your units not be serviced by technicians 22165 and 22510 as they are the ones showing up in my receipt as the ones who handled my unit.

... so why come out just now with the incident? just got caught up with a lot of things, most of it spending the time selling my unfixed fortuner (of course i informed the buyer of the problem and to go to toyota baguio and claim warranty of the unsuccessful overhaul done), business matters and buying a new ride. needless to say, its not a toyota anymore ... alas, i wouldve gotten myself a new prado had they just fixed the problem.
    Next time sir, before leaving any auto shop, conduct the usual BLOWBAGETS check-up. Won't take a lot of time but it will definitely help you.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

5. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Buti walang nangyari sa inyo pagbaba ng Naguilian Road, that's about 60 kms of winding road. I have had a bad experience with Toyota Baguio myself but not with the lug nuts. Long story, I will create a different thread na lang when I have the time. Well, its obvious from your post earlier that you are dissatisfied with Toyota and I am willing to bet my bottom peso that you just bought a Montero, however, kung meron ka pang Toyota car that you need to maintain I would suggest that you go to Autolab in San Fernando instead of Toyota Baguio. Mas magaling pa si Alvin Segundo (owner) kaysa sa casa :D; highly recommended.. Good luck with your new Montero :-)

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    That is scary indeed, and all the more that you have your family on board in your car. Good thing nothing serious happened to you.

You should also write a formal letter to the dealer and to Toyota Motor Philippines to at least make them aware of the problem you encountered to help prevent this from happening to other people as well.

It is very good indeed that you posted your experience.

However, please advise the new owner of your previous vehicle about the following;

When a vehicle is driven, even for a short distance, with loose wheel lugs, the wheel is sometimes damaged to the extent that the holes are slightly enlarged with a result that the wheel cannot be torqued down to specifications because it does not "sit" properly when mounted.

Moreover, the studs may be worn also where the wheel was rubbing against the studs.

Under these scenarios, the wheel will surely work free in the future and could come off a moving vehicle.

Have a competant technician examine the wheel and studs for damage and replace both if found to be defective.

Please do not have this on your conscience.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by amtorralba View Post
    Buti walang nangyari sa inyo pagbaba ng Naguilian Road, that's about 60 kms of winding road. I have had a bad experience with Toyota Baguio myself but not with the lug nuts. Long story, I will create a different thread na lang when I have the time. Well, its obvious from your post earlier that you are dissatisfied with Toyota and I am willing to bet my bottom peso that you just bought a Montero, however, kung meron ka pang Toyota car that you need to maintain I would suggest that you go to Autolab in San Fernando instead of Toyota Baguio. Mas magaling pa si Alvin Segundo (owner) kaysa sa casa :D; highly recommended.. Good luck with your new Montero :-)
    hahah thanks bro, you bet it right. got me self a monty just last week.

i personally know alvin segundo, we go way back. came to know him during "war games" (back in ~1994) before it came to be wildly as airsoft nowadays. i didnt go to his shop because i was under the pretension that being "casa maintained" would mean your vehicle would be in good hands ALWAYS. guess i was wrong. kaya after ng 3yrs nitong monty ko, sa kanila na din ako magpapaservice.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nick View Post
    It is very good indeed that you posted your experience.

However, please advise the new owner of your previous vehicle about the following;

When a vehicle is driven, even for a short distance, with loose wheel lugs, the wheel is sometimes damaged to the extent that the holes are slightly enlarged with a result that the wheel cannot be torqued down to specifications because it does not "sit" properly when mounted.

Moreover, the studs may be worn also where the wheel was rubbing against the studs.

Under these scenarios, the wheel will surely work free in the future and could come off a moving vehicle.

Have a competant technician examine the wheel and studs for damage and replace both if found to be defective.

Please do not have this on your conscience.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.
    Thanks for the advise Uncle Nick. I will inform the guy who bought my previous vehicle.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Share ko ang experience with Toyota Makati naman. I had my Innova serviced sa Toyota Makati, the service requires the removal of the engine fan. It is held in place by 8 nuts.

The Innova was released after the repair. Drove 5 kms to my office. The guard noticed a different sound coming from my engine, rattling sound is how I describe it. Opened the hood and I looked around but did not find anything wrong. So from the office I drove home. near my house I noticed the rattling sound getting worst. I parked the Innova and opened the hood. I noticed the fan wiggling. So, true enough when I inspected it the nuts were all loose. Imagine the damage to my engine if the fan flew off.

I complained to Toyota Makati, they said the Innova was quality inspected before the release. That blew my top.

Toyota service is getting worst. B#***##t Quality control.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    tragis. kahit sa casa tayo magpa service, di pa din sigurado sasakyan natin. lechugas na yan. eto ba ang mahal na binabayaran natin sa mga casa. mahal mahal ng binabayad natin, may mga ganyang case pa. kung di lang sa warranty, di na ako papa casa eh. after talaga ng warranty period, di na ako papacasa. tsk tsk. >.<

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ericson21 View Post
    tragis. kahit sa casa tayo magpa service, di pa din sigurado sasakyan natin. lechugas na yan. eto ba ang mahal na binabayaran natin sa mga casa. mahal mahal ng binabayad natin, may mga ganyang case pa. kung di lang sa warranty, di na ako papa casa eh. after talaga ng warranty period, di na ako papacasa. tsk tsk. >.<
    That's why it really pays to know about your ride, research, and the be aware of the usual service one should get. The CASA can diagnose any problem but when in doubt, pull out. Nothing hurts with a second opinion. Also best to do your own look over and listen before taking the vehicle out of the any shop.

I stopped taking my Corolla Altis to the CASA after the 10K service and did all the service with shops i am familiar with. Its an even nicer feeling to buy the parts and oils you're going to put, watching as they do the service, clean your own brakes, etc. I just weighed the risk given that the Altis was a popular car and at the time i bought it, it was near the end of it's lifecycle so most defects would have been fixed and parts are readily available. I just brought it to the CASA for the the first 10,000kms to see if anything out of the ordinary would crop up and after that, i stopped. Looking back, the only part i would have needed to replace under warranty was my warped rotors but buying an aftermarket set proved to be better and more durable and cost me less than 2K.

I usually doubt that stand-alone provincial CASAs such as Toyota Baguio will do much to improve as compared to one in a city with a lot of competition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
toyota baguio, avoid at all cost!