New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Help have a toyota altis manual 02 hard starting, erratic rpm pls give list of possible parts to replace thank you

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Have your throttle body (i think) cleaned. As always, one of the culprit in erratic idlings.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    Have your throttle body (i think) cleaned. As always, one of the culprit in erratic idlings.
    Bro done that plus tune up spark plugs changed fuel filter changed still the same

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    how about the MAF sensor? have you tried cleaning it?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Perhaps a engine scan and compression test would help first and foremost. Then from there, have your engine checked for any signs of having sludge problems (common on the ZZ engine).

Cleaning the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor can be done by doing the following:
    1. Carefully remove the MAF sensor part from the airbox housing (It's the sensor right after the air cleaner, removable with a screw driver).
    2. With some electric contact cleaner, spray generous amounts into the MAF sensor. You have to be careful not to touch the sensor hot wire and it's best to spray from a short distance and not directly.
    3. Let the sensor dry for a few minutes
    4. Re install, plug the sensor wire and start the car.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkosero View Post
    Not yet bro i will try to do that thanks

8. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Perhaps a engine scan and compression test would help first and foremost. Then from there, have your engine checked for any signs of having sludge problems (common on the ZZ engine).

Cleaning the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor can be done by doing the following:
    1. Carefully remove the MAF sensor part from the airbox housing (It's the sensor right after the air cleaner, removable with a screw driver).
    2. With some electric contact cleaner, spray generous amounts into the MAF sensor. You have to be careful not to touch the sensor hot wire and it's best to spray from a short distance and not directly.
    3. Let the sensor dry for a few minutes
    4. Re install, plug the sensor wire and start the car.
    Okey thanks will try that.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    almost same problem as my '02 1.6E matic... mine is happening on cold start.. almost take twice to start the engine and idling is erratic for a few minutes. but when it is warm then no problem to restart and idling is smooth.. casa replaced sparkplugs, change oil and fuel filter.. will map cleaning be the solution?
    any other problems to check?

Toyota altis 02 hard start and erratic rpm