New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    I am in a hunt now for a high-end MPV. I have narrowed my choice to the Alphard and the Sienna, both built by Toyota. I must admit, when I saw a 2011 Toyota Sienna LE a couple of weeks back and I couldn't keep it off my mind. It's exterior is beautiful. When I started to do research it though, I came to know that it has a sibling, the Alphard, which is sold locally by TMC. On issue of warranty, service and price( 3M for the Alphard versus 3.5M for the Sienna V6 Limited), the Alphard appears to be the safer choice. However, I give the Sienna higher mark on looks. Other than these, I still would like to know more about these two. Any insights on which I should buy?

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    This is what C! Magazine issue #109 Feb 2011 has to say on this matter:

I bring this up because the going rate of a dubiously tax paid top of the line 2011 Toyota Sienna V6 in the gray market ranges from Php 3.5 to Php 3.7 Million WITHOUT the security of a factory warranty. The Sienna looks great and drives extremely well to be sure but it was designed to be driven specifically in the US which means the suspension, brakes, electrical system, cooling system and fuel system has been calibrated and deliberately tuned for 4 seasons, lower humidity, and crucially, superior road surfaces and driving conditions-more highway than traffic. Buy at your own risk. Save the money and get the Alphard 3.5 which has 90% of the Sienna for less money backed by a 3 year factory warranty.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Siguro mas safe ang Alphard pero ewan mas nagugutuhan ko itsura ng Sienna. North American mini-van's just look way better than Asian mini-vans...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for your inputs. The designed, calibrated, tuned, etc., for the US market make sense, but I am waiting for testimonies of actual experience among the lucky few who have tried or tested both. By the way, what did C-mag mean that the Alphard has 90% of what one can get from the Sienna? Is this an admission that the Sienna is superior?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Sienna is just bigger and wider. The Alphard isn't cramped, though... not if you're used to Japanese width cars.

Nowadays, a US-market import isn't such a big risk, not like the old days when they would regularly overheat because the radiators couldn't take the heat. But it's still not built with Tropical conditions in mind, so rubber and other fittings might suffer from the heat and humidity.

I'd prefer an Alphard. The only reason to go gray market is if you're paying less than if you were buying in the dealership. If you're paying more... what's the point?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote from the same C! Magazine article

Yes he does admit the Sienna is better, but the article is not clear on which area it did better than the Alphard.

The 3.5 liter V6 in the Alphard is even more potent than the unit used in the US-only Sienna V6 which weighs over 200 pounds more. The larger Sienna is ultimately better than the Alphard but like I mentioned earlier it is not sold officially in the Philippines.
    Kevin Limjoco is the author of that article. I would believe him if he says that getting gray market units are not as advisable compared to the locally distributed units. The guy owned and owns a couple of imported units. From that he would know what are the pitfalls of such endeavor.

For example, in the same article he chronicles his experience with one of their imported unit, a 2005 Nissan Quest SE. They brought it in fully tax paid brand new for Php 2.6 million.

There is no warranty, registration every year is a royal pain, no Nissan dealer nor the plant can service it...The car was built for US driving conditions so even with only the equivalent of 40,000 kilometers on the odometer after 6 years it has already had its brakes replaced 3 times (rotors and pads), the tires changed 3 times and myriad of other things fixed every year. It may standout in the crowd but I wouldn't recommend getting another
    Last edited by number001; June 5th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    This

versus this

Looks wise, I'd prefer the Sienna over the Alphard but practicality wise ? Alphard hands down. Having a local vehicle over an imported one who isn't seen on the road often, unlike the imported Starexes & LC's, is really an opportunity to grab especially if it's tied with a cheaper tag & with much more " security " features to boot. Being safe, after all, isn't always a bad decision.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I'd prefer an Alphard. The only reason to go gray market is if you're paying less than if you were buying in the dealership. If you're paying more... what's the point?
    Good point. In fact, it's so hard to justify paying almost twice the US price. For those who have seen both in the flesh, who has got the more classier interior, in both the materials used and design?

Number001, thanks for sharing important excerpts of that CMag article.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Haven't ridden or driven the Sienna.

The Alphard is a lot like the Previa... only wider and with a better ride. Handling and acceleration are terrific... it's like driving a tall Camry V6. The captain's chairs in the back are very luxurious, and the leather is nice.

The big problem is it's not quite as wide as a US-Spec minivan like the Sienna or even the Carnival... but as long as you're not sitting three-across in the back, you won't mind.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    As of this writing, I'm tilting towards the Sienna for sheer size and looks. I have a stupid question though, will there be a Toyota official dealer in Manila who will accept the Sienna for normal mileage servicing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Toyota Alphard versus Toyota Sienna