New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    There's no need to bring it to Toyota dealers. They wouldn't have the slightest idea around the vehicle. And service personnel at dealers these days are filled with OJTs or contractuals. They have nice clean uniforms on and clean shaven but they are no different from those grease monkeys operating backyard talyers.

Just look for a competent and reliable shop/garage. You also need to do some research, purchase/import certain consumables for the Sienna (ie. Oil filter, air filter, brake pads, etc...). Compatible substitutes maybe available locally.
    Last edited by number001; June 7th, 2011 at 10:09 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd lean more on the Alphard due to the following:
    - Its designed for local conditions (suspension, cooling and AC system, and engine tuning); aside from the C! Mag article mentioned above, TGP also mentioned before that there was quite a difference in the performance of the locally distributed Mini Cooper and imported units which was possibly due to calibration for our fuel quality and temperature. As Niky said though, this may not be true already in most cars today but heck, its still a good precaution to look into.
    - Parts (even if the Sienna shares bits and components with the Alphard). Heck, even with our 'ol reliable LC80 which was locally distributed and with independent shops/part sellers and surplus parts available, we had to wait for 15 days for a cooling system gasket from Toyota as even the usual independent Toyota suppliers I go to could not source the part immediately. What the more for a US market vehicle which isn't sold en masse?
    - Ease of resale. When i want to sell, i want to sell something easily and still get some respectable residual value (family had a few imported vehicles before and selling them was not as easy if we wanted to get a fair price).
    - Features and price. The Alphard already has most of the doodads and adding a good set of aftermarket rims will make it look quite good.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Again, thanks for your replies.

By the way, which Toyota dealer in Metro Manila has an Alphard on display right now? I want to see it in the flesh.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by top_speed View Post
    Again, thanks for your replies.

By the way, which Toyota dealer in Metro Manila has an Alphard on display right now? I want to see it in the flesh.
    There is a beige Alphard at Toyota Cubao yesterday. It is for release. Not sure when though. Maybe its still there.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    According sa reports eh safe na mini van sa U.S ang Toyota Sienna..Mahal nga lang ang grey market units nito.

The Toyota Alphard is much better especially makakapili ka ng dalawang engine variants(2.4 Liter and 3.5 Liter V6 variants).

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    +1 on the alphard.

there won't be an issue with servicing but it parts, or body parts rather in case you get rear-ended or a fender bender *knock on wood* parts would be available in your local casa.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I'd go for the V6 Alphard. Scarcity of parts is a big problem. You wouldn't want the car to be sitting in the garage for months just because a certain part had to be imported from the States.

But if you're really, really after the minivan looks. There is one other minivan in the local market that might satisfy your needs. Would you consider the Kia Carnival? Its got Chrysler Town and Country-like looks, is very well accepted in the States, got 5 star NHTSA crash ratings and a much more economical engine. If you get from the grey market (Hancars gives same 5 year warranty as local dealers), you can have the same 197hp/436Nm 2.2R e-VGT engine found in the Sorento and Santa Fe. The local version has the less powerful 2.9L 160hp/352Nm engine.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Puwede naman ipagawa sa Toyota dealers yang Sienna pero matatagalan bago makakuha ng parts yung dealer bago ma-fix yung Sienna.

Advantages lang naman ng Sienna ay may AWD sya (though this option is expensive) at ang 3rd row seats nya ay tulad sa Kia Carnival at Chrysler Town & Country.

Still the Toyota Alphard is the best choice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Toyota Alphard versus Toyota Sienna