New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    None that I am aware of.

Toyota Pasig used to allow it but they changed their policy already.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    lots of wrong opinions on this thread. of course toyota wants to maximize profit! and we all know how little consumer protection we have here in 'pinas. so when <carmaker> says PMS every 1,000/1-month, everyone would oblige like (given what i've seen from a similar thread as this)

why don't you all try to run your cars for 10,000kms / 6-months on dino juice (except SEVERE). that's usually the manufacturer recommended interval. you'll discover that your car will be just fine!

read up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/yo...anted=all&_r=0

take note those are MILES, not metric

3. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    I don/t follow the the 3 months or 5k
    what I do is kung umabot ng 5k na odo from last PMS
    saka ko dadalhin

4. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    lots of wrong opinions on this thread. of course toyota wants to maximize profit! and we all know how little consumer protection we have here in 'pinas. so when <carmaker> says PMS every 1,000/1-month, everyone would oblige like (given what i've seen from a similar thread as this)

why don't you all try to run your cars for 10,000kms / 6-months on dino juice (except SEVERE). that's usually the manufacturer recommended interval. you'll discover that your car will be just fine!

read up:

do you run your car for 10k km/miles on a mineral oil? How's the texture and color of your mineral oil?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by homhomnova View Post
    do you run your car for 10k km/miles on a mineral oil? How's the texture and color of your mineral oil?
    Yes 10k km on The toyota using the required oil from toyota something like 5w
    Last edited by crosswind; September 6th, 2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo

6. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
    Yes 10km on The toyota using the required oil from toyota something like 5w
    Alam ko 5w ay fully synthetic (correct me if im wrong) kaya ok lang na 10k km oci.. yung tanong ko po ay kung may gumagawa rin ng 10k km oci on a regular/mineral oil.. something like 15w50

7. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    sir 15w50 yan yata gamit ko

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Manilablock View Post
    Shempre ikaw pa din ang masusunod kung mag pa PMS ka, ung mga 2nd hand service vehicles namin noon (City Driving), puro top-up lang ng oil, never kami nag change oil for 3 years, after ng project benta na un mga cars.
    I pity whoever bought your cars... I hope you changed the filters regularly, at least.

except SEVERE

I think that counts as severe.

If you have access to used oil analysis, and perform it religiously to check for fuel or water contamination (the latter important in our humid climate) and for metal particulates, yes, you can get away with going past the required kilometer intervals... but without, it's down to your best judgment.

3,000 miles / 5,000 kilometers in the US is nothing. It's typically done at an average speed of 120 km/h, representing around 40 hours of engine use. Typical traffic in the US runs at 40 km/h, representing 125 hours of use.

The worst traffic in the US, which counts as severe use, is in Los Angeles, where rush hour speeds are around 22.4 km/h... which is 223 hours of use every 5,000 kilometers.

Ten cities with the worst traffic

Manila? EDSA rush hour runs at just 5-10 km/h. Which is 500 - 1,000 hours of use every 5,000 kilometers. Double to Quadruple the worst traffic in America, and up to TWENTY-FIVE times longer, in terms of operating hours, than typical American use.

And that's in temperatures hovering between 36 - 42 degrees Celsius (hovering around 100 degrees Fahrenheit, for our American-based kababayans) at around 80% plus humidity.

So... does that count as "severe use", yet?

-

And to add to that, Many long-term owners of modern ZZ-engined Toyotas have found, at their expense, that it pays to follow a shorter interval in Philippine traffic... especially with the sludging issues inherent with those engines. Supposedly, the PCV system that caused premature oil breakdown was changed in 2010 or so... but I would rather proceed with caution and work off of engine hours rather than an arbitrary odometer range, if I were to experiment with extending oil change intervals on a modern car... and I would still back that up with a used oil analysis the first few times I try it.

-

TL;DR: The Philippines is not America. If you want to experiment with super-long oil change intervals, find a place that does oil analysis and have your oil checked out every month... or at least learn the signs of oil breakdown and contamination, and check your oil religiously.

Every three months is pure BS. Every 5,000 kilometers, if you only ever drive in the city, is not.
    Last edited by niky; September 6th, 2014 at 11:38 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    May 2013

read up:

So the link suggests, let the consumer decides when to change oil based on driving condition indicated in the manual. Dapat sa lemon law ng pinas to pressure car dealer to ammend their automatic oil change policy. Thanks sa mga sumagot sa previous inquiry ko.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

10. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I follow 5000 km interval for oil change using mineral oil. I normally log 10000km per year including a couple of long trips.
    Now I am using synthetic oil which means I will change oil after a year. But my service advisor told me to change oil filter after 5000km. I am intent on follwing that advice.

I think I will have to check my oil regularly too. I only check it when we go to Metro Manila.
    Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 2

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Toyota 5k or 3 months pala PMS?