New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Hello,

Need suggestions please, I have a 2010 Toyota Altis with a 2.0 (3ZR-FE) engine. My only issue with this is the fuel consumption. Meron po bang paraan, para mapatipid sa consumo sa gas etong makinang eto? Is there a way to strangle a little bit of the engine, sacrifice a little power for fuel economy? Can we do a remap of the computer for fuel economy? Any suggestions please.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gh0str1d3r View Post
    Hello,

Need suggestions please, I have a 2010 Toyota Altis with a 2.0 (3ZR-FE) engine. My only issue with this is the fuel consumption. Meron po bang paraan, para mapatipid sa consumo sa gas etong makinang eto? Is there a way to strangle a little bit of the engine, sacrifice a little power for fuel economy? Can we do a remap of the computer for fuel economy? Any suggestions please.
    errr,
    how bad is your fuel appetite?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Hello,

How bad? Guess you'll have to suck it up, sir. Not much one can do w/ this early injected, driven by cable(not wire) engine w/ basic ECU. Though remaps are possible, tuner support is limited(to non-existent) here.
    Just keep the oil, intake filter, plugs fresh. One great thing... It's a very reliable timing-chained Toyota engine.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tsikot Forums mobile app

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Over inflate the tires a bit.
    Make sure brakes are not dragging.
    Maybe change air filter to less restrictive.

Sell the car. Get a new one.

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tsikot Forums mobile app

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    errr,
    how bad is your fuel appetite?
    agree, how "bad" is "bad" and can you also share us your average speed?

just to share, my 1.3L Corolla in early 2000's was doing 5-8km/l QC to Intramuros during rush hour

6. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    sirkosero was right. sell your 2.0 Altis and get a newer or smaller displacement sedan like 1.6 Altis.

The 2010 2.0L Altis was already CVT. (correct me if i'm wrong) If it's still 4 speed AT, then that also contributes to thirsty fuel consumption to the large 2.0L engine.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    In the old days of carbureted low tech cars, we’d adjust it to run on a leaner air fuel mixture.
    You'd have to be deft with the clutch though because they'd stall more easily.

I think messing with the ECU’s a pretty bad idea, because its hard to find someone who knows what they’re doing (and owe up to it with a guarantee if things go wrong). The guys who do it are usually the ones who won't bat an eyelid at the cost of getting a new computer box pag nagkaleche-leche

8. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    If the expense* of buying a new car would cost more than your projected fuel expenses + maintenance costs of your current car for the next 5 years or so, “toughing it out” with your current car might actually make more sense.

*In addition to the cash price (if installment, mas mataas pa), you’ll also have to spend for gas, maintenance and insurance costs for the new car pa rin naman.

Ex:
    Cost of new car + maintenance costs of new car + fuel costs of new car + insurance costs

vs.

Projected fuel expenses and maintenance costs for the next 5 years of current gas guzzler car

If di nalalayo yung sa taas, replace your current car. If significantly less yung sa baba, keep it.

-My opinion.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    My average is at 8km/l city, now. before It actually runs at 6km/l city. It improved a little compared to 1st I got the car, because it has wider tires and a large heavy box for the sub. So I sold the large mags, got back to stock tires (smaller and thinner), also got rid of the heavy sub box.

But because of the higher fuel prices today, I still want to lower the consumption even if it sacrifices power.

If I try to sell it, how much will the price range be??

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    My average is at 8km/l city, now. before It actually runs at 6km/l city. It improved a little compared to 1st I got the car, because it has wider tires and a large heavy box for the sub. So I sold the large mags, got back to stock tires (smaller and thinner), also got rid of the heavy sub box.

But because of the higher fuel prices today, I still want to lower the consumption even if it sacrifices power.

If I try to sell it, how much will the price range be??
    8 km per liter from a 12 year old 2 liter car (AT, i presume), is already good, in my view.
    if you want significantly better km /li figures, you might have to sell that car and get an econo model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast