New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Our work takes us off-road most of the time so we bought two Subic Prado LJ78's late last year. Both have the 2LTE diesel engine. Both worked well considering the roads (very rough!) that we travel daily. We decided on the Prado since it has the 2LTE engine which is similar to the 3L used in the Hi-lux. Our other vehicles are Hiluxes.

After about 6 months of use, one developed overheating problems so we had the head replaced with a surplus 3L head and it worked fine. Next, it started smoking excessively (white smoke) so we had the fuel injection system overhauled and installed new nozzle tips.

After all the above work, the vehicle worked fine for about two weeks and then suddenly conked out. The starter works fine and so does the glow plugs.

We checked the computer box and switched it to the other Prado (we have two) and the other Prado worked fine - so there is presumably no problem with the computer box. However, the check engine light does not light-up when we turn-on the ignition key. Neither does the diagnostic light exhibit any error codes when we short-out the proper wires.

We contacted a lot of auto-electricians here in the extreme southern Philippines (General Santos City) but no luck - nobody can't seem to figure out what is wrong.

I sure can use some help or advise.

What's exactly happening? Gumagana yung starter but hindi tumutuloy yung pagtakbo ng engine?

overheating, issue yan ng 2LTE even abroad. Normally when you buy these engines 2nd hand you overhaul the cooling syst and not allow the engine to run very hot coz madali masira yung cylinder head. Anyways, post mo details baka matulungan ka namin.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Yes, the starter works but the engine won't fire-up. Tinulak na rin and no effect. There is a small wire connected to the injection pump. When our mechanic connects this directly to the battery, the engine will run but no power and lots of smoke. We think it has something to do with the electronics. But as I said, we replaced the computer box and it still won't run.

We think solved na ang overheating problem when we replaced the head with the 3L head with the extra 6-holes for the cooling water. The vehicle ran fine when we replaced the head. Except for this new problem.

I Am really interested in your comments.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have your mechanic tried the old way by starting it with lighter fluid on air intake?

Baka walang fuel sa line or may hangin kaya ayaw tumuloy ang redondo?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    May intake (MAF) sensor ba sya? If the maf sensor doesn't send any signal to the ECU, the car will not idle. Magcracrank sya but it won't idle.

Does your Prado crank when started?

Pag direct sa battery aandar but lots of smoke, right? So walang supply sa injection pump. Sa trooper meron fuel cut solenoid na bumubukas pag na cr-crank na. Check if you have this and kung meron baka hindi bumubukas. Normally may relay yan so you can check kung nage-energize yung relay to open the solenoid.

EFI ba yung sayo? Check din yung sabi ni Ungas. Baka walang fuel sa line.

Yung sabi ni theveed, MAP ata yun or Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor. Sa Civic ko meron nun, don't know sa diesel kung meron.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    theveed - we'll check the MAF of MAP.

garyq - you're right, pag i-connect direct sa battery ang wire from the injection pump, aandar but lots of white smoke. I'll have the mechanic check the injection pump solenoid.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep you all posted on the results.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Ungas - I am sure may fuel sa line. The engine works when we connect a small wire from the injection pump to the battery. Mausok lang and no power. We have also bled off all the air from the fuel lines. Same results. We'll try checking the MAF and solenoid first.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I am sure may fuel and there is no air lock in the fuel line.

Baka nga sa injection pump solenoid. I'll have the mechanic/electrician check it on monday. We'll also check if the MAP sensor still works.

Thanks to all. You have given me new ideas.

Will keep you posted.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    try mo remove yun injectors then start mo. let the fuel flow out. then reinstall. minsan priming the pump is not enough to remove the air in the system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subic Prado Tumirik