New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hello! We're planning on buying an Innova and we still can't decide if we should go with the Gas or Diesel model. Can anyone give us some pros and cons of each? We've never really owned Diesel automobiles before that's why I'm a little hessitant about buying one now.

How is the reliability of each model in the long run? Is maintenance an issue? If gas or diesel money wasn't an issue what would you pick and why?

Thanks guys!

- John

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sakin lang, the price difference of both fuel types aren't that far apart, so I'd pick a gas variant, mas mabilis padin kasi and less maintenance sa fuel, oil and filters...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    wow! Thanks sa quick response.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    hoon, i suggest you read the thread on "D4d engine problems" before you consider the diesel variant.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Diesel
    Pros:
    -mas matipid sa fuel
    -diesel is cheaper than gas
    -strong torque makes driving in traffic easy

Cons:
    -higher maintenance cost
    -noise and vibration, diesel clatter
    -less power than gas engines on the highway
    -possible Toyota D4D problems regarding Philippine diesel quality, see relevant thread:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23197

Take note: these problems do not occur for everyone, but they should be a consideration.

Gas
    Pros:
    -lower initial purchase cost
    -lower maintenance costs
    -much quieter and smoother than diesel version
    -good power for use on the highways

Cons:
    -less fuel efficient, but consumption reported for the Innova is not bad. see this article:
    http://www.c-magazine.com/c_article.asp?articleid=93

Also note that the cheapest Innova is the gasoline engine variant. And with no anti-lock brakes on the higher variants, there isn't much need to buy the more expensive versions.

EDIT: :lol: ambagal kong mag-type... naunahan tuloy!
    Last edited by niky; January 20th, 2006 at 12:01 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Diesel
    Pros:
    -mas matipid sa fuel
    -diesel is cheaper than gas
    -strong torque makes driving in traffic easy

Cons:
    -higher maintenance cost
    -noise and vibration, diesel clatter
    -less power than gas engines on the highway
    -possible Toyota D4D problems regarding Philippine diesel quality, see relevant thread:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23197

Take note: these problems do not occur for everyone, but they should be a consideration.

Gas
    Pros:
    -lower initial purchase cost
    -lower maintenance costs
    -much quieter and smoother than diesel version
    -good power for use on the highways

Cons:
    -less fuel efficient, but consumption reported for the Innova is not bad. see this article:
    http://www.c-magazine.com/c_article.asp?articleid=93

Also note that the cheapest Innova is only available with the gasoline engine. And with no anti-lock brakes on the higher variants, there isn't much need to buy the more expensive versions.

EDIT: :lol: ambagal kong mag-type... naunahan tuloy!
    that's perfectly ok, it's not a matter of speed considering you got a more informative post.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    sabi sa amin nung isang sales associate sa toyota nung nagtingin kami kung pag city driving daw, mas okay ang GAS.. pero kung madalas out of town, mas okay daw ang DIESEL.. pero to hell with her, pinili pa rin namin yung gas.. lower maintenance cost sabi nga ni niky.. :D

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ay, additional:

Every 5000 km, your diesel costs will be around 16,000 pesos (given urban traffic), at about 10 km/l.

Every 5000 km, your gasoline costs will be around 23,000 pesos (given urban traffic), at about 8 km/l.

A 5000km checkup for a 2.5 liter diesel vehicle will cost you around 4500 (dunno if the Innova is the same), while the 5000km checkup for a 2.0 gas vehicle costs around 2500.

Total cost per 5000 km is around 20,500 for diesel, and 25,500 for gas. You save about 5,000 pesos for every 5,000 km, or about 1 peso per kilometer with the diesel version. That's merely a rough estimate, mind you.

I don't know how much the price difference between gas and diesel variants is, but that also factors into your decision making.

Hey, for anybody who knows, is the Innova VVTi still on the 5,000 km sched or at 10,000km? If it is at 10k km, then the savings drop to about 3,750 pesos per 5,000 km.

Which means you'll have to drive at least 30-40k km a year to make back the cost difference between getting the gas and the diesel.

Pero with the possible pump problems you'll get with the diesel once you're past warranty, and the fact that it's a turbo (I think), will mean relatively more maintenance costs after three years than the gas variant, which will have steady maintenance costs over five to seven years.
    Last edited by niky; January 19th, 2006 at 01:50 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    hoon, i guess niky has covered all of the more practical side between your choices...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Ay, additional:

Every 5000 km, your diesel costs will be around 16,000 pesos (given urban traffic), at about 10 km/l.

Every 5000 km, your gasoline costs will be around 23,000 pesos (given urban traffic), at about 8 km/l.

A 5000km checkup for a 2.5 liter diesel vehicle will cost you around 4500 (dunno if the Innova is the same), while the 5000km checkup for a 2.0 gas vehicle costs around 2500.

Total cost per 5000 km is around 20,500 for diesel, and 25,500 for gas. You save about 5,000 pesos for every 5,000 km, or about 1 peso per kilometer with the diesel version. That's merely a rough estimate, mind you.

I don't know how much the price difference between gas and diesel variants is, but that also factors into your decision making.

Hey, for anybody who knows, is the Innova VVTi still on the 5,000 km sched or at 10,000km? If it is at 10k km, then the savings drop to about 3,750 pesos per 5,000 km.

Which means you'll have to drive at least 30-40k km a year to make back the cost difference between getting the gas and the diesel.

Pero with the possible pump problems you'll get with the diesel once you're past warranty, and the fact that it's a turbo (I think), will mean relatively more maintenance costs after three years than the gas variant, which will have steady maintenance costs over five to seven years.

Awesome analysis...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Should I buy the Gas or Diesel Innova?