New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

What is a projector retrofit?

- It is the process of installing HID projectors inside stock halogen headlights.
    Why retrofit?
    - HID bulbs produce 3x more light vs. its halogen counterpart. When an HID bulb is installed inside halogen headlights, what you have is a ton of glare and the output of the bulb is not maximized. Retrofitting an HID projector inside a stock halogen headlight harnesses the power of the HID bulb without glare than can cause safety issues to other motorists.

The first step is to open the headlights:

Installing plug and play hid bulbs will cause so much glare as the reflectors are designed for halogen bulbs. If you place an HID bulb which produces 3x more light than halogens, you will have light bouncing off parts of the reflector that were not designed to get light with halogen bulbs.

Mounting the FX projector inside the bowl and using a Cayenne style shroud

The FXR projector is a bixenon projector meaning it has a LO and HI output. All oem projectors have shields that limit the output in LO mode and a built in solenoid lowers this shield to get the HI output when you flick the HI stalk switch in your steering column. What happens is the shield lowers and the cutoff goes higher. So basically the light intensity in the foreground is already at its maximum.

I will be installing Philips OEM hid bulbs* 4300k. There is a big reason why all OEM bulbs come always at 4300k. It is because at this color temp you will get the most light in terms of lumes. The Philips will give out 3200 lumens/bulb vs. 1200-1500 ave for halogen bulbs. If you go to 6000k or 3000k, you already lose 25% lumens output.

Output Comparo. Same CAM settings:

It is even better in person. The width is not clearly seen as the side of the road limits the output of the projectors. The FX setup trumps the stock hl in intensity and width. The pix were taken in pitch dark so you can clearly see the cutoff of the projectors. I've also seen the output of the halogen projectors of the facelifted Fortuner and it is quite dim compared to the FX output. And most important is you dont blind oncoming traffic. The ballasts are oem Denso from Lexus or Matsushita. I do retrofits on the side when I have time and I hope you like this project.

Projector retrofit is the right way to use HID. Maximum light, minimum glare.

I would be happy to answer any queries.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Bos nice info, got some noob question:
    1.) Paano palitan ang bulb, kilangan ba baklasin uli ang glass?
    2.) Estimated price sa whole unit, including the bulb replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by xda2jojo View Post
    Bos nice info, got some noob question:
    1.) Paano palitan ang bulb, kilangan ba baklasin uli ang glass?
    2.) Estimated price sa whole unit, including the bulb replacement.
    1. Nope. Ang mounting nang oem hid bulbs like Philips same lang ng halogen, may clips you pull out tapos you remove the bulb. Ganun din sa pagbalik. Mga 4 years lifetime ng Philips bulbs at 2-3 hours of use per day.

2. The complete package for the Fortuner is around 30k. ALL IN. labor and materials.

Ganito yung headlight pag assembled na. made in Japan sealant nyan, walang silicon

Last edited by garyq; February 18th, 2010 at 02:55 PM.

Retrofitting an HID projector on a Fortuner Stock HL