New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    I have this observation between my Alterra and Vios, both automatic transmission.

After I reach e.g. 70 km/hr speed and let go of the gas:

For Alterra, the rpm goes down right away to minimum which is around 650. I expect this outcome as it is kina like the equivalent of shifting to neutral for manual transmission.

For Vios, the rpm stays where it was when I reached the 70 km/hr (about 2500 rmp, and very slowly go down until I come to a full stop. It only gets to about 650 rpm when I am totally idling.

Which one of the above is normal for an automatic transmission?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    First, which response do you prefer?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PATSYS50 View Post
    I have this observation between my Alterra and Vios, both automatic transmission.

After I reach e.g. 70 km/hr speed and let go of the gas:

For Alterra, the rpm goes down right away to minimum which is around 650. I expect this outcome as it is kina like the equivalent of shifting to neutral for manual transmission.

For Vios, the rpm stays where it was when I reached the 70 km/hr (about 2500 rmp, and very slowly go down until I come to a full stop. It only gets to about 650 rpm when I am totally idling.

Which one of the above is normal for an automatic transmission?
    For me, I think the behavior of the Vios is more normal since you are just letting go of the gas pedal and not actually shifting the transmission to [N]eutral while decelerating. Engine braking and downshifting is taking effect.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    i notice this also with my civic and strada, both automatic... for the civic when going downhill, the rpm actually goes up but the strada remains near or equal the idle rpm...

the way i understand it, it is the torque of the engine... at minimum idle, the torquier engine can pull the car at a lower rpm than a less torquier one...

i am not sure though...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It really depends on the gearing and the torque converter lockup point.

With the trucks, at 70 km/h, you're only doing 2000 rpm or under, so the torque converter doesn't lock-up, and the engine will go back to idle. With the Vios, you're doing slightly over 2000 rpm, and the torque converter stays locked up.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Question about Vios A/T