New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I dunno, personally I still prefer the old hydrualic based PS than the EPS. Parang mas stable sakin especially on high speeds....

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DengEspi View Post
    Nakita ko na rin yung bagong Corolla sa showroom nila sa Makati. Maganda yung itsura nya, although not as radically designed as the Civic. Pero luxurious yung dating nya parang ibang level sya sa mga competitors nya. O iba lang talagang marketing stance na gusto ng TYT. Lumayo sila sa sporty look dahil for sure, hawak na ng Civic at Masda 3 and teritoryong yon, at parating pa yung bagong Lancer. But right now, kung akong tanungin, the no. 1 consideration for a family sedan is fuel efficiency, 2nd cost of maintenance, and 3rd safety(passive and active). 4rt na lang siguro yung looks. Correct me if I'm wrong, mukhang sa 1st three departments the 10th generation Corolla leads the competition. Sa FC lang siguro may konting argument.

Fuel Efficiency

At first glance parang nakakainis TYT dahil di man lang pinalitan yung engine. At siguro kung ako rin ay may altis na 9th gen baka di ko na rin palitan ng 10th Gen. Dahil according to many almost the same experience lang.

However, again if you compare Corolla's 3ZZ-FE VVTi engine, for example to, to I-Vtec engine of the Civic (wag na yung ibang competitors kasi itong dalawa ata yung may better FC) parang walang contest and the Civic wins hands down. Mas malakas yung power rating nung Civic.

But, there are other factors to consider, like individual weights of the cars. Mabigat ata ng konti yung Civic, kaya baka medyo makaapekto sa power.

The engine type must also be considered. Corolla's 1.6 engine is DOHC. The Civic's 1.8 engine on the other hand employs SOHC. DOHC engines (the type that are more common to new engines) have significant advantages compared to a SOHC engines (i.e. better combustion leading to better FC).

Di lang ako sure kung a DOHC engine produces better torque and power compared to a SOHC engine of the same engine displacement. If this is true, then a 1.6 DOHC engine will not lag behind by much in terms of power to 1.8 SOHC engine.

Plus the base model Corollas are already EPS which result in better FC. A U.S. survey also reveals that 9th Corolla 1.8 LE is also more fuel efficient than its 1.8 Civic counterpart.

May lamang lang siguro yung Civic sa aesthetics and power departments. Malaking plus din siguro DBW technology ng Civic.

Mahirap maghanap ng advantages ng bagong Corolla...TYT next time gandahan nyo na talaga.

eto naman ay opinion ko lang...
    DOHC versus SOHC doesn't make any difference at all. What actually matters is how well the head is designed and how much area of the combustion chamber is given over to the valves. A SOHC head can still be a 4-valve head. You will only lose power and efficiency when going from a 4-valve to a 3 or 2 valve head (those old 8v motors). A 5 valve head should theoretically be more efficient, but I guess nobody does this anymore (Toyota had it for the old 4AGE 20V engine) due to the added cost, complexity and weight.

As for fuel economy... are we talking about the new Corolla, or the old one? The old one was more fuel efficient in EPA testing because it had longer gears than the Civic, made less power, and weighed less. Yes, detuning the engine's top end to produce more torque makes the Corolla's 1.8 somewhat better. But the new Corolla is heavier. This should affect economy somewhat.

----

EPS is good for fuel economy, but only a few EPS cars actually have good steering. The Jazz's is okay. The Mazda3, Mazda6 and BMW's are great. Everything else (Civic, Vios, etcetera) sucks. Big time. The Vios's, in particular, feels very unsettled on the highway at speeds. From reviews overseas, it seems the new Corlla EPS is similar. I hope they fix this soon.

The EPS on the new Mazda6, on the other had, is divine. I didn't particularly like the EPS on the Mazda3 before... but it was acceptable enough... but the new Mazda6 EPS is spot-on... I hope everyone else copies it.
    Last edited by niky; April 18th, 2008 at 05:42 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    marami na ba talagang toyota corrola 10th gen na ginawang taxis?
    2 na kasi yung nakikita ko since yesterday.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
The Philippine Launch of the 2008 Corolla Altis