New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Our Previa was a victim of Ondoy. It was not actually flooded, we were just passing by a street near A. Bonifacio, with less than a foot of flood water, when an oncoming truck caused the flood to wave and made a big splash on our van. The water was sucked into the engine through the air intake positioned under the hood facing forward. The engine died and our driver re-started the engine, which I didn't notice until the driver said the engine won't start anymore.

I brought the car to Toyota Tarlac and after dismantling the engine, I was given a quotation for labor and parts at around P200K++. The labor was just around 12K.

Then after a few days, Toyota released a Promo supposedly to help the victims of Ondoy: less 20% on labor and up to 40% on some parts. I was happy to see the ad in the newspaper and I immediately contacted Toyota to tell them about the promo but apparently, they have no idea about the promo.

So after a day or 2, I followed up again on the promo and they told me that most of my damaged parts were not part of the promo, if I remember correctly, only 2 of the parts have a discount. And what pissed my off was the huge increase in the cost of labor, from less than 12K to around 48K!!! (deducting the 20% discount on labor = 38K!!! more than double the initial labor cost).

After assessing the situation, I decided, through the recommendations of friends, that I would just find a surplus engine and just drop it in the engine bay and the car is good to go. My Previa is already almost 7 yrs. So I think getting a surplus engine is just ok.

Thinking that the 2.4L engine of the Previa is just the same as that of the Camry, I asked around for a surplus engine, either from a Camry or Previa, but no luck. Later on, I found out that the part number of the engine block of the Camry is different from that of the Previa, even if they have the same engine code.

Frustated on not finding a surplus engine for the Previa, I thought of just having the engine repaired. I went back to the Toyota dealer to give them the go signal to repair my engine with brand new parts. Then I was asked to sign a waiver before they will make any repairs on my engine. The waiver is to release Toyota of any liability and risk in association with the repair of the engine. Meaning, if after repairing the engine and something happened to the engine that caused injury or death to any person, Toyota will not be held liable. There will also be no warranty on their repairs.

Then I asked them why they increased the labor cost, I was answered it was to cover for the risk in repairing a flooded engine. But then I answered back that I was being asked to sign a waiver so the dealer would assume no risk, and yet they increased the labor cost to cover for the risk? WTF!

Did they really made the promo to help the victims of Ondoy, or was it to profit more from the tragedy??!?!

A few weeks ago, I emailed Toyota Motors Phils. about my situation. I did not get a reply from them, instead, I got a call from Toyota Cabanatuan, the head office of Toyota Tarlac. I was told they will assess the situation and see what they can do about it. After a few days, I got another call from them and was told that they will give me a 20% discount on all the parts and labor. But I asked back what about the waiver? I will spend around 200K in parts without the assurance that the engine will be OK after the repairs. What if their mechanic cannot make the engine to run? They'll be risk free because of the waiver I signed and I'll be 200K poorer and still my Previa will remain a piece of junk.

Haaayyyy, hindi ko na alam ang gagawin ko sa Previa namin. Any takers here for a not-flooded-damaged-engine-only-Previa? Water did not get inside the car, btw.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Grabe naman sila sir Boybi. Talk about taking advantage of a customer's misfortune.

20k with no warranty ok pa but 200k?! Contradiction of terms when they jacked-up the labor cost then let's you sign the waiver if they screw up. I get the impression that they don't trust their own work even with brand new parts.

Have you tried inquiring with other dealers who can give you at least half of the repair cost in warranty?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Boybi: grabe and mahal naman sir. since 200k magagastos mo sa engine parts and no warranty. what a casa is that, no quality work and service. Why don't you consider buying a surplus engine for your previa. change engine ka na lang. just my 2 cents..

ang may-ari pala ng toyota tarlac ay toyota cabanatuan din. just curious lang..hehe! ngayon ko lang nalaman. tiga-cabanatuan kasi ako..hehe!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    that is seriously screwed up.

wala na talagang ibang pwedeng ipalit na engine?

200k for a "repair" isn't quite worth it...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by japong View Post
    Boybi: grabe and mahal naman sir. since 200k magagastos mo sa engine parts and no warranty. what a casa is that, no quality work and service. Why don't you consider buying a surplus engine for your previa. change engine ka na lang. just my 2 cents..

ang may-ari pala ng toyota tarlac ay toyota cabanatuan din. just curious lang..hehe! ngayon ko lang nalaman. tiga-cabanatuan kasi ako..hehe!
    did you read sir boybi's post?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    mechanical and electrical ba yung problem ng engine?curious lang....if mechanical you can have it fixed somewhere else...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Walang acts of God yang previa mo?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    there's a lot of mechanics, why don't you have it repaired elsewhere?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    magkano ba brand new engine?

10. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    sobrang mahal naman ng singil!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Ondoy damaged Previa & Toyota's handling of flooded vehicles