New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Hello Tsikoters - I am new to this forum. I have been browsing this forum and found the threads very informative. Need to seek your advice.

I am in the market for a mid-size SUV with a budget in the range of 1M-1.3M. Will use it for daily commute and occasional out-of-town trips. 4x4 will be a nice to have. I have sort of narrowed my choice (after reading thru your discussions in the Fortuner threads) and go for a brand new Fortuner VVT G variant (despite its shortcomings I still view it as the best value for my money). However I browsed thru the Sunday Manila Bulletin ads and came across quite a fewl 2nd hand SUVs at competetive prices. My choices therefore expanded to include (in order of priority):

#1 2006 Toyota Fortuner VVT Gas P1.353M
    #2 2003 Mitsubishi Gen3 Pajero Diesel P1.5M
    #3 2002 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDI Diesel P975K
    #4 2003 Isuzu Trooper Skyroof Diesel P950K

The Gen3 Pajero is my dream SUV but I just find the price too high for a pre-owned. The Patrol is a full size SUV and price is attractive but I do not know much about Nissan quality and reliability. The Trooper too is nicely priced and engine performance is great but the looks and body design is very much outdated.

If you were in my shoes which SUV will you go for ?

I would very much appreciate your views. I need to hear a different perspective so I can have a more informed/balanced decision.

Hope you can help me out.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    I'd get the brand new Fortuner 2.7 vvti, no doubt. I'm not a fan of pre-owned vehicles or second hand bec. usually there is something you got to fix after buying it (case to case basis, btw). And if you're getting it from a stranger, it would hard to tell how they treated their vehicles.

As for the Fortuner, I'm not sure of any shortcoming of getting a 4x2 unit unless one does lots of off-roading in slippery mud. It would suit you nice for daily commute and out-of-town trips (as long as you are NOT traversing through lahar or the like).

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    for more comfortable ride, i think you should get the pajero... i think 1.5M for 2003 model is quite expensive... i saw a rally art version pajero 2 months ago which is just approx one year old, fully loaded with in-car entertainment system priced at only 1.4M.

patrol? nissan's diesel engine has also a good track record of proven reliability, comfy ride? i think not quite... same experience also with fortuner, you might wanna consider fortuner if you're after the resale value.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    bnew is bnew. unless you have a one class up (say, Prado or Patrol) second hand in a pristine cond and you know the owner. then, that's a different story....

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    There are also numerous, barely-used Fortuners on the market today. Just make sure the papers are straight. They're typically Php100k off retail.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    brand new, bro.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    That was quick. Great feedback. Keep it going. Thank you very much.

I will be keeping my options open for the next few weeks.
    I did saw some 2006 model Fortuners in the ads. The 3rd Gen Pajero is really tempting. While the Patrol really commands respect.

I guess I need to start making some calls and see the 2nd hand alternatives upfront to determine its real value. This is going to be one busy weekend for me.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hindi pa naman siguro na-total wreck or nalubog sa ilog yung mga 2nd hand Fortuner.

One unit was recently sold off because the owner was not satisfied with the ride. Tough customer, probably.

Personally, it's a toss up between a GU Patrol and a GEN III Pajero for me with the Patrol having a slight edge.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Hindi pa naman siguro na-total wreck or nalubog sa ilog yung mga 2nd hand Fortuner.

One unit was recently sold off because the owner was not satisfied with the ride. Tough customer, probably.
    i totally agree! just before getting a new fortuner, i was able to inquire 2 slightly used fortuners which they claimed to be a brand new (mileage is less than 100 kms) and they were willing to give it at less 100k the original price. From what the agent understood, the owners were not that satisfied with the ride.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    dont waste 1M+ over a 2nd hand unit. but that patrol is tempting ha, 975k lang. I assume negotiable pa ito.

if you have 1.3M, get the Sorento.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
New Fortuner or 2nd hand SUV ?