New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Hello Tsikoteers! Newbie here and planning to buy my 1st car.

With my tight cash budget of 175k only, here are my 2 options.

Opt1: 96-97 Corolla GLI, since I've been always fascinated by these cars seeing them on the road aka maporma and knowing parts/service availability.

Opt2: Financing a 600~700k range brand new sedan. Monthy amortization is within my budget too, but on a 2nd thought, this could be well diverted to my home improvement budget if I go for Opt1.

Caveats for Opt1:
    • Can we still find good/well-maintained/casa maitaned cars of this model, given my budget range?
    • Are they still reliable? considering I also do long travel, Manila-Cagayan Valley.
    • How much average spending for casa maintenance per year?
    • Aside from the basic checks, what special considerations/attention I need to check for 96-97 Corolla GLI's, say during dealer inquiry/inspection?
    • Fuel consumption of this model range, are they still good for city driving? (Bahay-Office)

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon. Mods, please merge my thread if this falls on double post.

Ash (Bacoor Cavite)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Corolla 1997 is a good option; prioritize expenses for your house as this is a larger investment over a car and you can still buy a newer car later on when the cash flow becomes free again. Whats important is you take your time to buy a well-kept unit. Its not a matter of looking for a good-as-new unit but more of finding one that was maintained properly.

We bought a 1997 Corolla before and despite its high mileage back then (well over 150,000kms), all we had to fix to get it to good condition was the following:
    - Compression test (to make sure its not blow-by)
    - Changed the engine gaskets
    - Changed the Timing belt and bearings
    - Changed all the drive belts
    - Changed all the fluids (brake, PS, gear oil, coolant)
    - Changed all the filter (Air, oil and fuel)
    - Checked all the hoses
    - Overhauled the steering rack
    - Changed the shocks and some busings
    - Repacked the axle bearings
    - Changed tires and fixed the front driver's seat which was already worn and sunk

You'll just have to set aside around 20K to 40K extra for repairs to make sure your ride is reliable for the long haul. IMO, the AE101 looks best in clean, all stock look. Best also to get a manual tranny for better power, fuel mileage (roughly 8-9km/L) and less headaches as an old a/t car may be costly to repair if the a/t gives way.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Vinj, thanks a bunch for this very enlightening reply. Now I realize that the extra 20-40k budget for a used car is not really an exaggeration at all... makes a lot of sense.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Also look well to make sure you get a unit that has not been involved in a major collision. Another common problem with old cars would be the idling so best to check in the morning and start the car cold. Observe for any start-up clatter, hard starting and erratic idling/divebombing idling.

Need advise on buying 97 corolla GLI vs. Brand new financed car