New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    After having my Hiace pms check at Cebu Toyota, I noticed that my AC started to blow off half of its original air velocity. I need to turn to the maximum air flow all the time. Toyota Cebu has always allowed its employees to use the AC system of its customers while servicing your car. You won't be surprised to see your car with AC at its full, when you claim your car. The bad thing about it is that it sucks in all the dirt and soil from you carpet just like a vacuum cleaner.

Boy, I remembered that it is the cabin air filter that usually blocks the dirt from getting into air conditioning fins. Then, I opened the glove box. There you are. the entry to the cabin air filter element. To my surprise, no filter element was ever there from the start. I tried searching all over the internet for info. Nothing is ever written about hiace cabin filter. To confirm, I read from this thread
    http://tsikot.com/forums/toyota-cars...leaning-51555/

tsikot member 2slow also noticed it. Hey, TOYOTA. This car is more than a million. It is not a flaw. This design is intentional to destroy the AC system. Saving your dealers at the expense of loyal customers.

Solution: Never push the AC fan to full. It sucks in all the dust. Ask the TOYOTA dealer to install the cabin air filter to protect your AC. It is a good piece of AC(super cold). But without the filter, I dont know how long will it last.

based on my experience... Once the original AC got junk, we need to visit the shop once in every 6month to conk uot more than P10,000 per visit.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A lot of AC systems still don't have cabin filters (even my Altis for example). If you operate in dusty conditions a lot, the best precaution is to have your AC system cleaned regularly (i.e. every year or so), keep your interior clean, and avoid running with windows down (i.e. smoking while driving), especially in the city.

CASA service can be quite a bane, especially in areas where competition is low. Best to really find your own set of reliable shops.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My '94 Land Cruiser doesn't have a cabin air filter. The Jimny doesn't have one and I took the ones out of the Jazz and the Picanto when they got clogged (didn't bother to replace them after).

None of the a/c systems self destructed. Just keep the a/c in recirculation mode and the cabin clean (which sometimes doesn't happen as I operate both the Land Cruiser and Jimny in severe off-road conditions for work/leisure).

If you need to visit the shop every 6 months and pay 10k/visit, it's time to look for another shop.

The company I work for (see signature) runs a fleet of Grandias and none of the a/c systems have self destructed despite the vehicles being driven hard.

Just my two centavos.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    Our Vios have access to Aircon Cabin filter but no filter inside since Bnew... kaya cguro na surprise si TS kasi dapat meron yun....

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    My grandia is on its 6th year. Ngayon lang nagkaproblema yung air flow system. It is a lightly used vehicle, running 3x a week. No cabin filter is really the culprit here. Kahit na window type or split type home conditioners, all are equipped with air intake mesh screen filters. There is no reason to omit this important part of the AC system. Meron nga cya lalagyan pero walang laman sa loob.

If the vios, altis and other models are the same with no filter. Then, Toyota Philippines really is helping their dealers get more service fees at the expense of customers. You can check the internet. For sale: cabin air filter for Yaris, corolla, hiace and etc. Worst is that when they claim that their product is better than the original. Poor pinoys, our units are never equipped with one. hehehe

I had cleaned my other cars too(hilux, strada, sentra). All are equipped with a proper cabin air filter. The strada and sentra are still blowing super cold air after ten years. AC has never been serviced by any shop. The hilux is still new(less than 3yrs)

It is a no big deal here, if you plan to sell your car every 3 years. But for long term ownership, better install one now. These are just flaws hidden inside. You never knew it until you open the box.

I also had a vios. Know whats hidden? I only realized that the 5th tire(spare) is equipped with ordinary steel rims instead of the shiny allow wheels that was pre-installed. You will never know it until you have a flat tire. Cost cutting?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A non-matching spare wheel is pretty much standard nowadays. Even on expensive cars like a Ford Expedition. It's not really hiding, you just have to lift the cover. And yes, it's there to help keep costs down.

That's why manufacturers nowadays advertise if a full size spare tire with matching wheel is included. Otherwise, expect a space saver tire or a full size spare on a steel rim. With the advent of having fix-a-flat in a can and compact 12V air compressors, having to pull out the spare tire is becoming less common. I've never had to use the spare as either one of the two methods I posted is usually sufficient to get me to the tire repair facility.

On pre-delivery it's standard to show those things. I even have the picture (just for posterity) of the agent showing the spare when I went to Wheels Inc to facilitate the delivery of Picanto. Everything on the pre delivery checklist must be shown to the new owner prior to having him sign the release.

As long as we are on the subject of cost cutting. Good luck finding any car on the market today with full leather upholstery. It is also customary to put genuine leather on the seating surfaces only. The sides and other areas are synthetic leather even on a Lexus. Moreso on a Vios. And there is no conspiracy when it comes to this. It's just how cars are upholstered now to reduce costs and supposedly to increase durability (the synthetic stuff holds up better in stressed areas).

If you think the filter helps, by all means get one. But for the fleet I look after and for the purposes we use the vehicles, it really doesn't seem to make a difference especially when you factor in the cost (Manila has cheap labor but expensive parts).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Guys, I just bought a cabin filter for corolla. Done a bit of d.i.y. and it fits perfectly in the grandia. The filter cost P600. The car company can get one at less than half of our cost. Why not do it?

For most of us here, we only own a car or two. We are not that knowledgeable compared to large fleet owners. Some of us don't even own a vacuum cleaner. And we do not have maintenance personnel to do the cleaning/conditioning job at the end of the day.

BTW, the Toyota salesman is my friend. He just laughs whenever I catch their faults. The last time he called me, They launched the face lifted Vios. He told me, now the fifth wheel rim is the same as the four. Maybe they had too many complaints.