New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Hi,
    I desperately need help and advice . I accidentally spilled adhessive glue sa dashboard ko. So, to minimize damage, I bought a glue remover which only made my problem even worst. Natangal nga, namuti naman!.Lumaki pa yung namuting area. So as of now, I'm driving with a stained dashboard and it's totally driving me nuts. I know this sounds crazy pero I'm really bothered with the stain. My car is only a few months old, and I'm not gonna stare on that stain for 3 to 5 years. The only remedy that I decided is to just replace the upper dashboard. The part is available in Toyota Sta. Rosa (medyo expensive lang), but I'm just worried that if ever the guys from Toyota change my dashboard, baka lalong mababoy auto ko. I really don't know kung simpleng trabaho lang yun. I'm afraid baka d makabit ng maayos, or mawala sa alignment. Dual airbag pa yung altis ko, baka ma messed up yung sa passenger side. They told me they could easily do it, pero who knows, minsan habol lang nila kumita. I really need advice to those folks here who is familiar or have an idea with this procedure. I'm clueless with this type of procedure.

Thanks.

P.S.
    Yung mga subic auto nga, buong harap pinapaliitan.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Sorry to read about your predicament sir.

Don't despair. Try having it serviced at Big Bert's sa Ortigas. Better yet, look for theveed here sa tsikot and send him a Private Message for your concerns.

Paging Sir theveed.
    Last edited by Memphis Raines; April 4th, 2007 at 11:01 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup. lam ko pwede i-restore ang dash eh.
    or....
    you can try other options like re-upholstery, etc....

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    you might want to buy those Dashields where you stick them on the dash. those arent too expensive

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Some shops can probably work on it but they also have to remove/disassemble most likely so you should check that as well.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for your time replying to my post. I think my only option is to replace the upper dashboard itself. Kung baga sa damit, "nakupasan" na talaga. I'm just afraid that If I did change my dash, it might make thinks even worst.

My FAQs
    Altis G

1. Is is a "minor" job to replace the dash? Do you know anyone na nagpakalas ng dash, pero naibalik naman ng maayos?.

2. Is there a chance that If I had it replaced, misallignment might occur?

3. Will my passenger airbag be affected?

Thanks

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_PUP View Post
    Thanks for your time replying to my post. I think my only option is to replace the upper dashboard itself. Kung baga sa damit, "nakupasan" na talaga. I'm just afraid that If I did change my dash, it might make thinks even worst.

My FAQs
    Altis G

1. Is is a "minor" job to replace the dash? Do you know anyone na nagpakalas ng dash, pero naibalik naman ng maayos?.

2. Is there a chance that If I had it replaced, misallignment might occur?

3. Will my passenger airbag be affected?

Thanks
    For me, replacing a 5 month old dash is anything but minor although I do understand why you're that eager. I bet you've had trouble sleeping ever since .

I would consider the misalignment factor before I go back to the casa; there is a possibility of this which might make things even worse like inheriting rattling or squeaking noise that wasn't there in the first place. But then again on the brighter side, perhaps you can sell your slightly used/damaged one to cover for at least half of the replacement cost .

I doubt it if the airbag(s) will be affected, especially if it's done by your casa.
    Last edited by Memphis Raines; April 4th, 2007 at 11:00 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    1. Dashboard removal is not rocket science. On some models (e.g. BMW 3 series, Volvo 850, Toyota Revo, MB100) you have to remove the whole dashboard just to clean the a/c [and some people do this annualy!]. Even Mang Mario's hole-in-the-wall a/c shop can remove/install dashboards. In case you do need a new dash, just make sure the guys who will install it also know what they are doing.

2. Dashboards are pretty idiot-proof to install. They are installed using large bolts [they're on the dash top and sides] and you'd be pretty stupid to misalign it. I'd worry more about the minor details like the trim pieces, switches and wiring. Make sure everything is correctly installed and they don't break clips and other minor items because this can eventually lead to annoying rattles and squeaks.

I don't have any formal education in automotive mechanics but I can remove and install a dashboard with some help from my equally uneducated friends.

3. The airbag is a module. Meaning it is a self contained unit. It will be taken out of the dashboard as a unit and will not be tampered with. It will just be set aside and reinstalled on the new dash. It's a plug and play affair.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I completely agree with Otep...that replacing that is idiot proof.

It would be best na casa and tumira than a side street "mechanic" kasi you can always claim a warranty on works sa casa.

Pero like what they say, why don't you consider muna options from Big Bert's before the replacement option.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    If casa ask for warranty, and make sure it won't alter your existing warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Help!!! Altis Dashboard Replacement