New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    would it be worse if they changed the suspension but still no improvement in the ride quality?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Maybe you can change the tires to a better and softer one.

or change to softer springs?

or softer shocks (air suspension?)?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's a bigger set of alloys this time around? That may just negate the difference.

Ride quality is such an elusive thing... and it takes a lot of driving over varied terrain at different speeds to say, with finality, whether one is categorically better than the other.

Hmm... would be interested in requesting a test-unit from Toyota, just to see.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    without disassembly, inspect both models spring coil thickness, diameter and number of turns to verify if there is a difference, both front and rear.
    compare the installed shocks damping characteristics.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by promdiboy View Post
    hindi ba dapat more rubber more comfort. 16 vs 17 rim. so dapat kung same springs and shocks dapat mas comfy yung luma.
    TRUE! Theoretically that is. The higher the rubber, the smoother and more comfortable the ride. However at this massive sidewall height, I doubt if lowering the sidewalls (as with the case with using 265/65/17 tires) would really matter. It becomes an issue with tires as low as 195/55/15 vs. 185/65/14.

But there are two other factors here: Age of the tire and the kind of tire.

1. All tires whether we like it or not harden with age. Tires ride at their best when brand new, and ride quality diminishes drastically after a few thousand kilometers.

2. The Bridgestone Dueler H/T 840 tires of the previous Fortuners were designed for combination highway and off-road. These new ones- the H/T 684 II have finer tread blocks, and is designed for highway touring. Presumably, these tires are more comfortable and quieter than the 840.

So IF EVER the new Fortuners ride better, it's because of these two factors. What worries me is tire age.

Like I've said in previous posts, the difference in ride quality between the 2006 and the 2009 is very miniscule. If ever the suspension WAS upgraded, I don't really feel much of a difference.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    UPDATE on Facelifted Fortuner's ride quality. Since I now have plates- I was able to test it on familiar roads, compared to my bro's 2006 model.

The difference is so miniscule- the 2009 rides better only because it's newer (fresher bushings), and the tires on the 2009 are quieter and are designed for highway touring, not to mention ride quality of tires are best when brand new.

In other words I do not think there is any change in suspension, at least not for our Philippine models.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by my4tuner View Post
    Seems like the 2009 Fort has a softer ride now. See the recent, November issue of the Top Gear, Toyota's big three IMV review.
    Read comment made by Ghosthunter. So true!!

http://www.topgear.com.ph/board/index.php?topic=1812.0

Based on my road tests, no change in suspension. And of course the 2009 has to ride better than the 2006. All cars ride their best when brand new. Three year old vs. brand new- that in itself is not a fair contest!

8. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    OK so pareho lang the old and new in terms of ride and suspension. So whats the best remedy to improve the ride?? Toyota has a package of TRD springs and shocks 42K all 4 springs, shocks and labor. Is this better than just changing the springs to I-Back or Tein? or changing the shocks to Rancho or Emu? I want to improve my Fort's ride. any advise?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2007

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    No changed in suspension same pa din reklamo mga passengers ko nakaka hillo daw sa long drive masyado ma makalog... I'm realy looking forward to chaged it with rancho.. di ko lang alam saang shop ok gumawa at reasonable na presyo

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
FORTUNER suspension