New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi guys:

Need a little assistance with regards to the topic. My boss recently purchased a fortuner for his son and being a sedan guy all his life, doesnt know how to operate the 4wd system.

I only know the basics of 4wd:
    2h - ordinary driving (paved roads)
    4h - slippery roads (gearing of 2h on 4wd)
    and 4L - for the ultra crawling action

However, my boss mentioned the presence of a difflock. Immediately I thoght of rear locking diffs similar to the Safaris. Then a tsikoteer mentioned that center locks are the ones present since its an awd nga pala in default driving.

I knew that the center difflocks work this way:

awd - center locks are not engaged to be able to operate in paved roads
    4h - engaged locks
    4l - engaged locks

Tama ba pagkakaintindi ko? By the way, is there a separate button for the center lockers or is it automatic when you put the vehicle in 4h and 4l?

TIA guys!!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    4H - All Wheel Drive Mode (for road use)
    4Hlc - 4 Wheel Drive with C/D locked (off-road use), same as 4H of pick up trucks
    4LlC - 4 Wheel Drive with C/D locked and in low range (off-road use)

Center diff will lock itself when you shift into 4Hlc and 4Llc.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Matinik na Otep,
    Salamat.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Also, check under the driver windshield visor. There's an instruction card there on when and how to use the diff-lock. Better yet, ask them to read the owner's manual...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Vicoyski,
    Thanks. Hehe. Medyo naguluhan daw siya sa manual kaya nagpaturo. Anyway, I think I was able to relay the instructions to him correctly naman.

Otep,
    Thanks for the help. Sorry for the impromptu call, nakaistorbo pako. Salamat ulit.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vicoyski View Post
    Also, check under the driver windshield visor. There's an instruction card there on when and how to use the diff-lock. Better yet, ask them to read the owner's manual...
    Yeah I agree... Madaming mga car & suv owners ang hindi marunong magbasa ng manuals at instructions na nakadikit sa kanilang sasakyan.... Parang di natuto na research first before you ask.... tsk tsk

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Lahat ba ng versions ng Fortuner ganito? May nakita kasi ako di makaakyat sa parking ramp dahil basa. Lahat ng power pumupunta sa left rear wheel na dumudulas.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Only the 3.0 G variant is AWD.

Dapat talagang basahin ng owner yung manual... it's very bad to run the vehicle in locked differential mode on pavement... and it's very expensive to repair if anything happens to the drivetrain because of that.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SeminaristaKuno View Post
    Lahat ba ng versions ng Fortuner ganito? May nakita kasi ako di makaakyat sa parking ramp dahil basa. Lahat ng power pumupunta sa left rear wheel na dumudulas.
    Only the 3.0D4d has a four wheel drive system. The rest of the line up is rear wheel drive.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OT:
    Ang masakit nito, pagkatapos bumili ng Fortuner na 4x4, and then later on realized na hindi pala niya kailangan ng 4x4. I think there are lots of car owner out there that bought 4x4 rig that haven't tried using its 4x4 system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Fortuner 4wd system