New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Is it possible to convert the Toyota Fortuner 2.5 G 4x2 to 4x4 using aftermarket sourced parts (transfer case, front diffrentials, locking hubs, etc..)? A friend of mine who bought a 2nd hand model wants to go all the way.

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Your friend is better off buying a used 3.0 V (the only variant with the 4x4).

================

Funny. Another guy in the fortunerclub forums wants to remove the 4x4 from his 3.0V and make into a RWD only.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    Your friend is better off buying a used 3.0 V (the only variant with the 4x4).

================

Funny. Another guy in the fortunerclub forums wants to remove the 4x4 from his 3.0V and make into a RWD only.
    Same sentiments here. In fact if he wants to go off-roading, he may even want something else aside from a Fortuner (at least if its serious, body bumping, water fording 4-wheeling).

Even if he finds a way such as assembling the drive train of a 3.0L 4-wheel drive and making it fit into the 2.5, it isn't feasible as the Fort 2.5D will have a harder time with those gears and extra wheels to turn. At the end, with all the expense, its better to go for a used 3.0L Fortuner.

Sayang, there was a black 2005 Fortuner 3.0 V driving like an ass on EDSA this morning, complete with fat boy gansta driver. Walang tint and he had a "For Sale" sticker complete with phone number. Gusto kong tawagan para murahin kung medyo siraulo lang ako but i just let him be. :D Kung na-save ko lang yung phone number, i-forward ko sana sa yo para sa friend mo.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's not too bad off-road, but definitely not the first choice.

The 2.5 is already overworked and underpowered as it is... swapping in the drivetrain of the 3.0 would simply kill it. The 2.5 lacks the low-down grunt for rock-crawling with such a heavy car...

Though if Mr. 3.0 "I don't want 4WD anymore" got together with Mr. 2.5 "I wanna", I guess something could be worked out.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Not worth the hassle IMO. Sell your 2.5 and get a proper 2nd hand 4x4 na lang.

Pick-up para pasok sa budget.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

Fortuner 2.5 G 4x4 Conversion