New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Good day gurus!

I just have to revive this thread. Does the 2.7 vvti still have a fighting chance in the light of the Fort VNT?

In terms of power and fuel efficiency, the Fort wins hands down. But in terms of maintenance cost and longevity of the engine, can the vvti have an edge against the diesel? And will the difference in power be felt in the real world?

I'm considering the vvti coz: it's cheap (and with the coming all new Fort, is bound to get cheaper), instead of getting a Rav-4 or CRV, why not get the 7 seater one? and finally, may gas allowance.
    Last edited by torque&pepper; August 24th, 2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: double post

2. Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Gas engines are generally cheaper to maintain than their diesel counterparts. You are right sir picking the fort than the rav4 or crv. It's a class higher and can seat 7.[emoji4]

3. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by torque&pepper View Post
    Good day gurus!

I just have to revive this thread. Does the 2.7 vvti still have a fighting chance in the light of the Fort VNT?

In terms of power and fuel efficiency, the Fort wins hands down. But in terms of maintenance cost and longevity of the engine, can the vvti have an edge against the diesel? And will the difference in power be felt in the real world?

I'm considering the vvti coz: it's cheap (and with the coming all new Fort, is bound to get cheaper), instead of getting a Rav-4 or CRV, why not get the 7 seater one? and finally, may gas allowance.
    2.5 vnt and 2.7 vvti owner here. In terms of power, Sa acceleration talo ang 2.7 vvti pero pag dating ng 100kph yari na ang 2.5 vnt, maintenance wlang duda 2.7 vvti mura na at hamak Tibay sa d4d. Basta regular change oil lang at spark plugs lang ang buhay ng 2.7 Vvti. Kung papalitan ng High Tension at Iridium spark plugs hindi na uubra yung Vnt

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyFlakes88 View Post
    Gas engines are generally cheaper to maintain than their diesel counterparts. You are right sir picking the fort than the rav4 or crv. It's a class higher and can seat 7.[emoji4]
    I don't agree that pickup based SUVs are a class higher than CUVs. The interior build quality of a Fortuner/Montero is nowhere as good as that of a Forester/CX5. Driving dynamics, ride comfort and handling are also incomparable. While pickup based SUVs have more horsepower, CUVs aren't outclassed when it comes to acceleration because they're lighter (don't get me started on the FXT), and have much better braking.

They cater to different buyers' preferences. But personally I think that someone driving an FXT is way classier than a guy driving a TOTL Fortuner, Montero, or Trailblazer.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    I have a 9 yr old Fort 2.7 vvti since new. Since its a low mileage vehicle, to this day the only maintenance it needs is the annual oil change (fully synth + fleetguard filter). There is no need to replace the stock spark plugs too frequently.

I also only use Petron Blaze 100 bec. of my distaste for ethanol and as well I get better response from the engine vs. using watered down gasoline (ethanol).

6. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Thank you very much for your inputs mga masters. Now I have settled on a decision. Just waiting for the best deals from Toyota before I take the plunge.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I don't agree that pickup based SUVs are a class higher than CUVs. The interior build quality of a Fortuner/Montero is nowhere as good as that of a Forester/CX5. Driving dynamics, ride comfort and handling are also incomparable. While pickup based SUVs have more horsepower, CUVs aren't outclassed when it comes to acceleration because they're lighter (don't get me started on the FXT), and have much better braking.

They cater to different buyers' preferences. But personally I think that someone driving an FXT is way classier than a guy driving a TOTL Fortuner, Montero, or Trailblazer.
    I totally agree. The ride comfort and build quality of CUVs are a lot better than pickup based SUVs. I own a cx-5 and my dad owns a montero. Whenever I drive the montero, i feel tired.

Plus, the price doesnt really differ a lot.

Other than the size and possibly the hp, CUVs beats the pickup based SUVs in most categories.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Cuv beats ladder frame in every aspect of refinement. Better ride, quality, quiet engine, quiet cabin etc..

But ladder fram suv beats cuv in every aspect of practicality. 7 seater, bigger space, diesel engine, high clearance, better for potholed environment of metro manila.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008

some people buy with their pocketbooks.
    some people buy with their backs and buttocks.
    some people buy with their egos.
    heh heh.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

some people buy with their pocketbooks.
    some people buy with their backs and buttocks.
    some people buy with their egos.
    heh heh.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2010

I agree that the CUV is classier. We had a 2006 RAV4 before and it's interior is much better than even the new Fortuners. I just don't enjoy the fuel consumption. In my opinion, our Fort 2.7vvti is more fuel efficient than the 2.4 Rav4.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
fortuner 2.5 D4d or 2.7vvti