New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sayang... ayaw ko na tuloy ng hilux.. hehehe..

hinde niyo ako sinama sa backyard off roading. haha

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    first time pickup user po ako, kotse gamit ko for the last 10years. recently i bought a brand new hilux 4x2 G automatic. question ko po eh pwede ba o kaya ba nya mag tow ng auto? ang alam ko po ksi 4x4 lang ang nag tow.

thanks.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    singkit,

kayang kaya yan. nasa 5000 pounds ata yung max. towing capacity ng hilux. on-road, walang difference na ibibigay yung 4wd sa towing performance.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    oh ok. thanks for the info.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here's my full review of the Hilux...

No Apologies From This Truck
    The Toyota Hilux makes no bones about being tough

By Marvin Tan, 29 March 2006

Pickup trucks have always possessed a sense of ballsy gravitas about them, the steed of choice of the modern-day Marlboro man if he ditched his horse. No matter if many pickup trucks haul nothing heavier than pure Manila smog in their beds. For some, it’s about that active lifestyle image that a real manly pickup truck suggests.

In many ways, Toyota’s Hilux pickup would do the Marlboro man proud. For one thing, it’s huge. Bigger than a Mitsubishi Strada. And a Nissan Frontier. And an Isuzu D-Max. Bigger, in fact, than every other truck this side of a Ford F-150. In a market like the Philippines where bigger is unanimously thought to be better, the Eiffel Tower ride height of the immensely tall Hilux will make you feel drunk with power. You’ll be looking out the window at the roofs of lesser sedans. Suddenly, leviathans like Nissan Patrols and Ford Expeditions seem smaller. Only Land Cruisers sit higher, it seems.

With this all-new Hilux, Toyota has specified a full-size cabin with impressively roomy – particularly for a pickup truck – rear accommodations. Yet, unlike pickups like say, the Ford Explorer Sport Trac or even the Nissan Frontier, Toyota didn’t unduly chop the bed to make room for the generous cab. The result is a compact pickup as long as a freight train – almost 207 inches. If bigger is indeed better, then the Toyota is the best in its class. As a bonus, the cushion of the rear seat folds up for when you need more hauling space, and there are two small lidded storage bins under the floor.

The generous dimensions of the Hilux make it a great truck with which to get some down-and-dirty work done. Toyota trucks have always been backed by a reputation for unflinching durability in conditions that would make a bacterium faint, and true enough, the Hilux soldiers on with a sense of inexorable invulnerability on our cratered roads. Hey, the Hilux is after all the chariot of choice of the Taliban, and BBC Top Gear tried valiantly to kill a Hilux and failed. The body and rear seat of our well-worn test unit creaked and rattled like a rattlesnake, but there was nonetheless a feeling of a real tank underneath the stylish skin and that the Hilux won’t so easily roll over and die on a mountain trail or a pockmarked road like say, a Honda CR-V would. Ground clearance is generous. Four-wheel drive is engaged via a good ol’ reliable transfer case lever. And there is that wonderful engine that out-powers everything else in the compact pickup class. With 160 horses and 253 lb-ft of low-end torque, there’s no wanting for power in this truck. Torque is gratifyingly thick at low rpm and there’s locomotive-quality thrust as the tach swings past the middle registers. I estimate fuel economy to be at the 12 km/l mark in mixed city and highway driving.

Off-pavement, the Hilux has the basics right but requires some modifications to make it truly trail-worthy. Ground clearance is mighty, low-range reduction is adequate and wheel travel seems immense – about ten inches at the rear – but that limber suspension can’t make up for the low-grip tires or the lack of a limited-slip differential or a rear locker.

As a work truck, the Hilux is a compelling choice with only the choice of the interior color – easily soiled cream – and the roller-skate-sized tires being just about the only contentious points.

As a work truck.

Otherwise, in the real world of commuting, the Hilux is a difficult dance partner. No surprises there, really. Its size is a liability in gridlocked streets. The freight train length is a nightmare when it’s time to park. Three-point turns were the order of the day in cramped Makati office towers. The Sears Tower height isn’t such a good thing after all when you look back and can’t see any trace of that Suzuki Swift hiding behind the Hilux’s butt. Or for that matter, that Miata lurking under the truck’s right front fender. The clutch is heavy and is a pain in rush-hour traffic. The steering is heavy and doesn’t encourage spirited driving. Rowing the floppy shifter through gates that are whole baranggays apart takes deliberation. Women refuse to be embarrassed by clambering up to the extra-high cab. There’s scant covered and secure cargo space unless you purchase a bed cover or a canopy. There are hints of vibration coursing through the shifter and steering wheel. The exhaust note is decidedly anti-Ferrari, or even anti-Expedition. And finally, the Hilux, at least without a heavy load on the bed, rides worse than the Marlboro man’s bucking stallion. On the highway, the truck constantly pogos up and down sharply. Dentures will fall off geriatric mouths. Pregnant women will give birth prematurely. Spinal columns will crack and backs will break. You have been warned.

To be fair to the Hilux, these beefs apply to most other pickup trucks as well, and what makes them downright painful on city streets are what make them suitable for hauling heavy loads. Or for stuffing a machine gun and ten Taliban troops in the bed – try that with a wimpy Honda Ridgeline!

The bottom line: the Hilux is a proud truck and makes no apologies for it. If you absolutely need a pickup truck, the Hilux should be on your short list. But for everyone else, Toyota will be happy to sell you a Fortuner or a RAV4. I know I’ll be happier living with one of those. Oh, how my spine will love me for it.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    (reserved for full specs)

7. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Mga sir tanong ko lang kung ano ba ang pagkakaiba ng 3.0d4d sa 2.7vvti siyempre bukod sa makina and sa 4x4, sa interior ba meron pagkakaiba or parehas lang? at pati ang ride height niya parehas lang din ba? balak ko kasi mag 2.7vvti na lang na hi-lux prang ayaw ko na ng diesel ng toyota. at ano kya ang fuel consumption nito klm/ltr. tulo talga laway ko dito sa hi-lux mganda na plano ko dito pag nakakuha ako lalagyan ko ng 20'" mags di namn ako mahilig pumanik ng bundok, porma lang ang habol ko.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I think walang pinagkaiba except the engine and 4x4 and the hood scoop. Mine's a 4x2 2.7vvti and consumes about 8km/liter - mostly highway - southwoods - makati roundtrip.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by singkit
    I think walang pinagkaiba except the engine and 4x4 and the hood scoop. Mine's a 4x2 2.7vvti and consumes about 8km/liter - mostly highway - southwoods - makati roundtrip.

Sir tanong ko lang lakas ba ng makina ng vvti di ba siya hirap sa arangkada at papanik?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    i can only compare my 4x2hilux with 4x2nissan patrol of my bro. sa arangkada, it seems to me mas malakas ang hi-lux because of lighter body compare to the other pero iiwan ng patrol ang hilux sa rektahan dahil mas malakas nmn talaga ang makina ng patrol.

these are based on my observation only - so i maybe wrong technically.

ive never tried my hilux in steep uphill. 2 weeks old plang eh

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Extended drive: 2005 Toyota Hilux 3.0d 4x4