New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    RE: Lemons... that's mostly down to final assembly and Quality Control. Doesn't have anything to do with the mechanical package.

RE: Corolla or Civic? Personally, the new Civic is a great engine and a competent car. Not as sporty as the Mazda3 in handling, or as sophisticated as the Ford Focus in suspension tuning. But it's a great chassis for Honda to work on improving. The suspension is sophisticated, with positive camber on the inside front wheels in turns (surprising on a McPherson strut car) and a good rear multi-link. And the engines leave current Toyotas in the dust in terms of power-efficieny ratio.

Hmmm... Corolla? If it retains the same simplified beam-axle suspension, the stiff but unsporting ride all new Toyotas seem to have, and sports merely an evolutionary change of the current looks, I don't know.

For sure, people will buy them as appliances, but with most "family men" looking at the rash of new seven seaters on the market, and many sedan buyers now being younger drivers looking for a little flash, I think the Corolla may suffer terrible sales cannibalization from the Innova, Avanza and Vios.

The Corolla, at least, maintains its aura of indestructibility, helped by the current Altis, but Toyota in general is starting to stumble. The real reason that Toyota delayed the Corolla is to ensure that then Corolla lives up to that reputation.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    looks like a facelift. it must be just a stop gap model in preparation for the 11th gen.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    reminds me of the circa 94-99 Imprezas.

also, what this needs is an IRS to keep pace with most of the competition.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    One thing I noticed is that this Corolla's wheels still have 4 holes, while the Civic has already upgraded to 5.

Overall, I wasn't really amused. Having been brought out later than expected, I anticipated a much better design. I personally like the 9th gen better. Headlights are a mix of Vios and 5-Series - not good chemistry.

The interior is nice, like most of you said. At least that's a very good consolation.

I'm not sure if the ASEAN version will have a different look front and rear, but it will need a bigger engine to really steal huge sales figures from the Civic, which offers a 2.0. The new 1.8 and (finally) the CVT should work together pretty well, but a manual is still a must for purists.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    lagi naman ups and downs ang generation ng Corolla eh:

started 90s

AE92 6th- small but modern on its time, so OK lang (-)/(+)

AE101 7th- revolutionary, ganda, big cabin, decent performance (+)

AE111 8th- to most of you, SUCKS big time, isnt any better than the AE101. (-)

Altis 9th- as revolutionary to the lovelife as the big body is to the "16valve body"... good features, performance and practical. trumps the competition in sales.

Axio 10th- ho humm... well, Toyota took our words for saying that the current is still one of the best and thus they said to themselves "why fix something that's aint broken?"

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Only thing I'd fix on the current one (while they're putting make-up on) is the suspension tuning. I don't mind beam axles, as long as they're well tuned, but the current Corolla, while combining good body control and a good ride (relatively) is light years behind the competition on both fronts.

Since Proton is in trouble, maybe Toyota should buy Lotus off of them to have Lotus "tune" their suspensions?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    mga pre JDM corollas really look fugly... check out the current pre-face lift at face-lifted JDM sa toyota.jp & the current altis of the same underpinnings you will be surprised that JDMs look fugly....

wait for the ASEAN corollas.... cgurado iba head & tail lights nito....

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    definitely it will be a hot sell for "inner-lane" type of people, those who like to play safe and be always on the safe side of things ...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
    everybody is going gaga over the civic mainly because of its radical interior and digital displays. it'll wear off in time.
    i agree!! i still don't get it what is the whoooah about the digital display of civic..

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    eto na.. eto na.. eto na.. dobedobedo bedobedo. OT lng

kapag corolla play safe na.. kakatakot mag ka FD eh..

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
eto na 10th Gen Corolla