New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    May I seek inputs how costly it is to maintain a camry unit. Will I break the bank for change of parts or is there an influx of low priced parts for the camry. I am bit careful as I don't want to get burned with this unit. One more thing, how is the re-sale value for this unit?

Appreciate your inputs guys. Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jnh01 View Post
    May I seek inputs how costly it is to maintain a camry unit. Will I break the bank for change of parts or is there an influx of low priced parts for the camry. I am bit careful as I don't want to get burned with this unit. One more thing, how is the re-sale value for this unit?

Appreciate your inputs guys. Thanks in advance!
    Which engine does it have? Maintenance is pretty low in my opinion. Fuel consumption isn't bad. I use the V6 version which is very nice to cruise in. You'd need to change the shocks at 50,000. The power seats can go out of alignment. Re-sale value isn't so good since most used car buyers opt for smaller displacement cars.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If you can't afford to maintain it new, you can't afford to maintain it used.

Bear in mind that even the most economical Camry consumes more fuel than most compact cars. Parts like shocks, springs and brake pads cost a lot more, and registration and insurance fees are higher, too.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    I have a 2010 camry 2.4L... and used to have 2005 focus 2.0L... Both are good car, many pros for each

Camry is cheaper to maintain
    Camry is more efficient... even in stop and go traffic
    Camry has more parts outside and less sensitive engine
    Camry is much faster (in a straight line)

In the end, I was still more fondly in love with my Focus... but the camry has my logic

BTW, also have experience with Honda FB... the camry was still cheaper to maintain in the long run... though its not cheap like a vios to maintain.

just my 2 cents

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Overall, if you have a good unit and have the time to source parts on your own (meaning you just don't rely on the CASA or a single shop for everything), maintenance costs can be affordable. But as Niky pointed out, you'll pay more for fuel and registration expenses. Aesthetic parts will likewise cost more and not be as easy to source as an Altis.

For me, I would consider such sedans more for weekend/family car use while i have a more fuel efficient daily drive to run around in (given i'm stuck in traffic often during the week).

As for resale, from brand new you really take a hit but since you're getting it second hand, it should cost a little more than a 1.6L sedan but as it ages, the more efficient vehicles will beat it out in resale value. But hindi ka naman talo as long as you maintain it well.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    thanks KILL and cta2, your responses are encouraging. thanks also to niky and vinj, your inputs are very sensible. my wife and i intend to use this as our coding vehicle. when she is banned, she'll use it. when i am banned i'll use it. when its free, i'll have my daughter use it, for school or whatever kids do nowadays. really appreciate your thoughts.

for the rest, please feel free to share your comments. again, thanks in advance!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    For a coding car, it is perhaps more efficient to get something like a Vios or even a top-spec Mirage for a coding car.

Newer, less troublesome to maintain, cheaper to register and insure, much cheaper to gas up.

Even better, something like a diesel Accent will retain excellent value in the long-run, but it's a stretch.

Going secondhand to avoid depreciation issues, you can go for a nearly new Altis 1.6 or a previous generation Civic FD. Both comfortable and reasonably efficient cars.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...