New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    good am po sa lahat!may nag offer po sa akin ng corolla 1.6GL for 90T.problem is, im a total nood with cars...'been a biker for 7 years now kaya wala tlga akong alam sa tsikot.now that i'm having a family, kailangan ko na ng auto or something...lady-driven po ung car acquired nya rin from another lady 'nung 1998. so, that tells me that the car is more than 10years nang gamit...i have drove the car and okay naman sya (...as far as i know =)).well, malamig pa naman ang airconworking ang wipers, stereo (casette nga lang...)it's newly overhauled sabi nya... pag naoverhaul na ba ang unit, ano po ba ibig sabihin nito?please enlighten me on the things i need to check on this car and if it's worth it...---i'm selling my beloved bike for this =( thank you very much!!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mykadeem View Post
    good am po sa lahat!may nag offer po sa akin ng corolla 1.6GL for 90T.problem is, im a total nood with cars...'been a biker for 7 years now kaya wala tlga akong alam sa tsikot.now that i'm having a family, kailangan ko na ng auto or something...lady-driven po ung car acquired nya rin from another lady 'nung 1998. so, that tells me that the car is more than 10years nang gamit...i have drove the car and okay naman sya (...as far as i know =)).well, malamig pa naman ang airconworking ang wipers, stereo (casette nga lang...)it's newly overhauled sabi nya... pag naoverhaul na ba ang unit, ano po ba ibig sabihin nito?please enlighten me on the things i need to check on this car and if it's worth it...---i'm selling my beloved bike for this =( thank you very much!!!

Best to have a trusted mechanic with you to check the vehicle over to see if there are hidden problems like leaking A/C freon to fluid leaks from the engine and hidden rust.

BTW, what year is the Corolla GL? Did it have any conversions done like power steering?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Thank you for the reply!I really wanted to bring along with me a mechanic to check the unit itself but hectic sched ko... but will do.Well, it's a '90 GL and wala pa sya mods... babae po kc ang 1st 2 owners.I'll post a pic of it tomorrow para po matulungan nyo ako kahit sa tingin lang..Thanks again for replying!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sir ok na ung presyo. mag handa lang din po kau ng cash para sa repairs. check nyo din po ung gulong kung pare pareho ang upod. ask nyo din kung kelan gnawa ung pag overhaul. nung nagpa overhaul kasi ako ng charade ko hindi muna ako pinag aircon kasi break in pa. hingi din kau copy ng or/cr para mapa verify ninyo

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    good evening to all!I have attached some pics of the car... please help me evaluate... i still have to bring a mechanic soon to check on the things needed... thanks much!

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    In addition, I've read from forums here na malakas daw sa gas etong model na to... true? The car will eventually be used from house to office lang po (max of 3km). And of course, city driving purposes... Am I choosing the right car? Or should I have to wait and look for the one for me? Any recommendation would be highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    pag overhaul ang makina, ibig sabihin pinalitan ng bago yung internal parts ng engine. these parts may include but not limited to

piston rings
    piston
    head gasket and other gaskets
    valves
    valve seals

then dpende sa kundisyon ng engine block at cylinder head pwede din gawin ang mga ss:

oversize rebore sa engine block kung may tama ang sleeve (???)
    refacing ng cylinder head kung ndi na siya flat.

ang advice ko since ndi sabi mo baguhan ka sa kotse, tingnan mo yung makina at check for oil leaks or any kind of fluid leak. try to observe yung floor ng garage kung meron drops of oil.

then always check din yung fluid levels (radiator, oil, brake fluid)

make sure lagi siya sa tamang level. kung mabilis nauubos ang fluids, most like may problem sa kotse.

try visiting www.autozone.com

go to repair guide. meron dun basic maintenance part. yung engine ng kotse mo is 4AF if i am not mistaken

gud luck!

8. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mykadeem View Post
    In addition, I've read from forums here na malakas daw sa gas etong model na to... true? The car will eventually be used from house to office lang po (max of 3km). And of course, city driving purposes... Am I choosing the right car? Or should I have to wait and look for the one for me? Any recommendation would be highly appreciated. Thank you very much.
    8km per liter ata yan.

malakas sa gas compared sa mga bagong oto ngayon.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Thanks to all! Will consider everything said and will keep everyone here updated. Thanks mucho!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    comments from the pictures:

-front and rear alloy wheels, not the same. In the very least, that wheel was damaged badly in a pothole. Possible sign of wheel misalignment.
    -the radiator top has been replaced. Check if there are signs of leaks of the "new" radiator top and bottom sections.
    -brake fluid reservior looks empty in the picture.
    -some electrical lines near the exhaust manifold seems to be taped up. Try to give it some attention.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Corolla 1.6GL - NOOB needs HELP