New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for replying my previous thread. I would like to get information from toyota regarding the cool down of turbo charger because i got diffferent answers from service advisors. I wonder if cool down is necessary why dont toyota install a timer.Unlike in hyundai , the SA says its no need to cool down .

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'm not from Toyota, but I can say this... no manufacturer (well, none that I know of...) installs a turbo-timer as stock equipment.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    OT: Porsche does have some big stonkin fans and pumps that keep air and oil circulating on the 911 Turbo after you switch off the engine, until the engine and turbine are sufficiently cool.

Try switching off a 996TT or 997TT right after a hard drive.
    Last edited by Dr.Kamiya; December 30th, 2007 at 07:06 PM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wiper View Post
    Thanks for replying my previous thread. I would like to get information from toyota regarding the cool down of turbo charger because i got diffferent answers from service advisors. I wonder if cool down is necessary why dont toyota install a timer.Unlike in hyundai , the SA says its no need to cool down .

Hindi standard na feature ang timer sa mga sasakyan dito sa Pilipinas....

5000:boom:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^^...para merun ding masira at marepair in the future.

General rule lang naman to cool down the turbo... lalo na if you have run a very fast speed (chances are super init ang turbo system).

Naitanong ko sa service technician sa Thailand (ng isuzu DMax) about this issue. Ang comment niya, at the DMax's stock turbo set-up, there is no need to cool it down (even if you run it at high speed). The heat generated by the turbo (at stock) would not be enough that it would require a cool down process after the run.

BUT it would be a different thing, if you start modifying the stock turbo... say adding a Tunit or perhaps increasing the pressure of the turbo. This would likely require one to add a turbo timer or practice a cool down procedure before turning the engine off.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you're just going to keep the vehicle for its intended lifespan (5 years), no need to cooldown. You will buy a new car in 5 years anyway.

If you intend to keep it longer, yes do a cooldown.

On Hyundais it is explicitly stated on the driver's door to cool down after running the engine hard. Unfortunately the decal is in Korean.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Though the engine coolant temp is controlled at approximately less than 100 degrees C, turbocharger / exhaust temps can reach as high as 300 to 450 deg C when the engine is operated under heavy load at full throttle.

While the engine is running at extreme loads, these high temps pose no problem to the turbo as oil continuously recirculates and takes heat away from the turbo.
    1. If the engine is immediately shut down after pulling a heavy load, oil circulation stops while the turbo temp is still very high (300 - 450 Deg C). This condition will cook the oil inside the turbo's oil rifle drillings, turn them to hard carbon, and eventually cause blockages if hot shut downs are repeatedly done. Turbocharger will eventaully fail due to oil starvation.
    2. After pulling a heavy load, turbo can be cooled down by simply driving at part throttle, just like normal driving in city streets. This allows turbo temp to decrease so that oil will not cook when it's flow stops by shutting down the engine.
    Engine temp is near constant due to cooling system design. Turbo temp varies depending on the load applied on the engine. And though turbos are built to withstand extreme heat, we have to make sure that the oil rifle drillings are free from carbon oil deposits.

I hope this answers your question.

See other threads at our Fuel Injection Help Desk at the Tsikot Workshop forum.

Bye,

Dieseldude

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    thanks! dieseldude, but can we have way to get rid the hardened carbon like regular cleaning.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Peocedure/s to effectively remove hardened carbon deposits from a turbochrger's oil rifle is to completely disassemble the turbo, immerse parts in a good cleaning agent, and run a correct sized drill through the oil rifles.

Chemical cleaning alone will not do the job as baked carbon is very hard.

The best way is failure prevention through proper driving habits as this costs nothing.

Example: Going up to Baguio puts extreme load on the engine and raises turbocharger temperature. When you get there, and while driving to your shack, ease up on the accelerator pedal. 5 to 10 minutes of relaxed driving will bring down your turbo temp.

You can refer to other posts at our Diesel Fuel Injection Help Desk at the Workshop forum.

Bye,

Dieseldude

can someone from toyota enlighten us about cool down of innova turbo charger