New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Sorry this is taking too long, but I'm so conflicted. Please feel free to toss in more advice. So now, I'm torn between the new Vios 1.5G and the new Altis 1.6G. Just when I've finally accepted that I should fork over a bigger budget for an Altis, I came across more problem threads regarding that car. Here's what I'm considering:

1. sludge issue-- though the new Altis is ZR, it's not definite that it won't have sludge issues vs Vios that isn't notorious to have this problem (but by engine design, Vios is so old)
    2. has a known problem with power windows
    3. steering concerns at high speeds (highway driving, etc)
    4. brakes/dashboard noises that seem to drive owner nuts because casas can't figure it out.
    5. alignment issues as early as 1,000km (!)
    6. brake rotor issue

Vios problems, as taken from another thread:

1. kabig to the right
    2. Headlight fuses & leak in the foglamps (luckily replaced by warranty).
    3. oil leak sa shocks sa left rear..
    4. Switch ng light. At first I thought busted yung bulbs. Pero sabi sa Casa, defective daw yung switch. Pinalitan ng bago yung buong switch module. Covered pa naman ng warranty
    5. busted fuse, dahil defective daw un switch
    6. headlights
    7. moisture inside foglights
    8. fuse. aircon belt
    9. kabig to the right din and moisture sa headlamp
    10. light switch on the 10000th km
    11.1. CLUTCH PEDAL kumalas sa bolt
    11.2. H/LIGHTS FUSE Busted. 300 km mileage
    12 aircon belt producing noise during cold engine
    13. 13,000kms on the odo. Only major problem encountered is may kabig sa kanan at 10,000km "

Someone posted a video showing a collision test between a Camry and a Yaris at 40kmph, the Yaris was shredded... Is the construction strength of a Camry similar to an Altis, and a Yaris to a Vios? I'm under the impression that a Vios isn't exactly solid.

Also, regardless if it's a Vios or Altis, if I buy backing sensors/camera and have the vendor install it, would that void my warranty? Toyota's charging 2k for installation :T

And speaking of warranties, for all the problematic parts of both cars, will the 3 year warranty FULLY cover replacement cost and labor? I'm worried because the 2 lists seem to be common occurrences and once I drive off with a new unit (when the problems haven't manifested yet) they'll make me pay later on because it may seem it developed only due to wear and tear.

So hard to decide!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by advan View Post
    homer, if it's any indication, the a/t in the accent's category marked around 900-1M... I think if the accent came out in a/t (if i'm not mistaken, currently, it's just m/t), it would be more or less in that price range, which is beyond my budget re ford-- shouldn't i be worried that it's a Ford? As in the bailed out/almost closed Ford a few years back? I got that warning from around 5 people in the course of my "research"...
    Hi Advan, It was the Elantra that is in the 1M range. The current Accent is about P700k, although this is quite a bare model with a diesel engine and MT. The petrol engine offering will make it cheaper, but the accessories and the automatic transmission that are going to come with it will cancel out the lesser cost of the engine. Overall, it should be at the price range of the vios/city (hopefully lower than their prices).

Re Ford, the US gov't was always going to back Ford during the days of the financial crisis, however, it did not need the bailout of the US gov't unlike what happened with the other two of the "big three" (General Motors and Chrysler). I seriously doubt US will let Ford fall, kung may kelangan piliing isa doon sa tatlo, the US gov't would've chosen Ford, so no need to fear in terms of it closing down.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    So hard to decide!
    ganyan talaga. ...if it's a choice between the two, undecided ako. Medyo malaki din yung difference at P140k, if the discounts for Vios you mentioned still holds, tapos yung Altis walang discount. You have to think hard if it's really worth shelling out... and no one can answer that except yourself. Ako baka hindi ako willing to shell out that difference, pero since ayaw ko rin ng Vios, I'll probably look for another car. If I would really want a Toyota, i'd settle for the old Altis dahil sa budget concerns (dahil sabi mo budget mo ay P800k).

Don't worry about the potential problems, nagkakaroon talaga ng mga problema lahat ng kotse. If you check all car models individually, you will find complaints for every model. Wala kang mabibili nyan if you will try to find a car na walang problems. My brother and sister each owned the old Altis and they never had sludge problems with theirs.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    homer jay, thanks for the advice. it helped make the final jump by letting go of all paranoia.

just wanted to post this as thread closure, got the car already and i went for... the 2011 Altis thanks very much for the advice you've all given. it REALLY helped in deciding which to go for.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...s=toyota+altis

Any comment on the above altis 2010 being sold 680K take note brandnew

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    homer jay, thanks for the advice. it helped make the final jump by letting go of all paranoia.

just wanted to post this as thread closure, got the car already and i went for... the 2011 Altis thanks very much for the advice you've all given. it REALLY helped in deciding which to go for.
    Congratulations! :D

I think the mid-cycle change of the Altis was very well deserved and is now a viable contender to other compacts once again.

As for the ZR. 16k km and nothing wrong at all with our Altis. Of course 16k km is very short, but even the 1ZZ-FE had very few sludging issues. I mean, say there are about a hundred who experienced it, compare that to the tens of thousands of Altis ZZs on the road. :D

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
buying a toyota, advise pls