New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Guys/Guru,

I am planning to install additional auxillary fan in front of the condenser just a pre-security measure to prevent overheating when my main auxillary fan break down. Isa lang kasi ang Aux fan ng altis 2003 1.6G namin and I am afraid this might be the cause overheating when it broke down.

However upon investigating the front portion, I see a vacant socket type switch.. same as the connection with the main aux fan.. my question is what is this for? Is this supposed to be for an auxillary fan that toyota didn't install? Can I use this socket?

Hoping for your inputs some of you guys might have already seen this socket lying in front... would also appreciate if you can suggest any good brand of auxillary fan to be installed for my Altis.

thanks!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    I didnt even notice na 1 lang yung fan nya hehe. I dont really pay much attention dun sa rad,a/c pero icheck ko rin kung meron yung sa min nung socket na nakita mo. neway, that socket if 'active' should have voltage reading when the a/c is on, so you can use a multi-tester or ask someone who has this device to see if it will read 12~14 volts. check mo when a/c is on and when it is off. that'll give you an idea.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup, I guess that is the only way I can find out... heheh I was just tinking someone might have notice this and added an aux fan already.

Ano kaya magandang aftermarket na aux fan?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    doesn't most new cars have only 1 fan?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup, all altis have only one fan actually I am adding it for precaution only coz one fan can mean overheating once it broke down. I just dont want to encounter an overheating. Nadala na ako dati sa Civic ko kasi... engine overheated due to broken aux fan.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mdpo
    Yup, all altis have only one fan actually I am adding it for precaution only coz one fan can mean overheating once it broke down. I just dont want to encounter an overheating. Nadala na ako dati sa Civic ko kasi... engine overheated due to broken aux fan.
    Sorry for the stupid questions, but how critical is this aux fan to the normal (or abnormal) functioning of a vehicle, in my case an Altis 1.6E. When is this piece of equipment needed? Does the malfunctioning of this device cause your engine to overheat? Doesn't an engine overheat if it runs out of coolant?

Reason I ask is I don't usually tinker around with my car, especially since it was under warranty for the past 3 years, now that the warranty's over...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A defective aux fan can cause the engine to overheat in traffic which results to coolant turning into vapor and still more overheating.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP
    A defective aux fan can cause the engine to overheat in traffic which results to coolant turning into vapor and still more overheating.
    Thanks sir OTEP.

More n00b questions...

In relation to what mazdamazda posted earlier, are there any cars that come out with more than one aux fan? Has anyone else experienced their aux fan going kaput? Is checking the aux fan part of regular PM? What is the lifespan of one these things?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    There are actually a lot. A Pajero has three fans. One for the condenser/radiator, one for the oil cooler and one for the intercooler.

Some vehicles have fans side by side to cover wider yet lower radiator systems.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Attention Altis Owner's - Additional Auxillary Fan