New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Actually its the ABS module of my Cefiro that cost 100K. Its basically the abs control module. Its located in teh engine bay right under the brake master and hydrovac. It looks like a silver colored rectangular box with lots of small pipes.

The ABS sensors can normally be fixed by just cleaning the part. Its just too bad that with my Chevy, its an assembly and cant be cleaned.

Actually; I used to drive a 97 Nissan Sentra that also had ABS, but I probably just failed to notice the ABS control module under the brake and hydrovac. Or the box was probably just too dirty for me to notice.

I really never thought that an important feature such as this, could also be such a pain in the wallet.

Better to just start driving at slower pace then than what I am accustomed to.

As they say, better safe than sorry

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Malaking tulong ang ABS sa isang sasakyan. my previous ride chevy Cavalier 2001 have it at ilang beses na akong naisave ng ABS nya sa aksidente...

Mali ang sapantaha na more distance kapag nagpreno ka with ABS against w/o ABS. kung totoo ito, provide us some link...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    Great insight, thanks. I didn't know replacing ABS wheel sensors would sink so much of our money! 100K can get you a brand-new engine or three.

[SIZE=5]I've never owned a car with ABS[/SIZE] so I've learned how to drive without relying on it, even on racetracks. That said, maybe it's unrealistic for everyone to undergo training in cadence braking (aka "human ABS") or performance driving just to cope with a car without ABS...so it's a "nice to have" feature for non-enthusiast drivers.
    I beg to disagree sa sinabi mo na nice to have it feature lang ang ABS sa isang sasakyan...malaking tulong ito sa mga drivers bro.....isa na ako doon....at na-experience ko na ito in many times...

nagtataka lang ako, di mo pa pala na-experienced makapagmaneho ng kotseng me ABS, pero iba ang perception mo sa ABS.....

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    For added info sa mga Drivers about ABS, malaking tulong ito sa atin.

Wag nyong isipin na added attraction lang ito sa isang sasakyan...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHead View Post
    *type 100

So there is actually a training called cadence braking? for race car drivers I presume? do you race ba chief? on what vehicle class and which track?
    "Cadence braking" is simply pumping the brake pedal at the threshold of lockup (the point where the tire's grip is at its strongest) - at the point of lockup, you let go of the pedal and press again. This is essentially the basic principle behind ABS. The difference is ABS will do this much faster than any human can - it used to start out at 15x/second in the late 1980s; God knows how quickly the ABS cycles the braking system when activated these days.

Cadence braking is not really a racing thing. It's more of a car control skill, which anybody can learn given practice. On ABS-equipped cars though, the associated module and sensors do this for you.

I've driven quite a few trackdays in Subic and Batangas, all in a low-powered Jazz 1.3 with no ABS...you can refer to my thread in the "Me and My Tsikot" forum for photos and video. I don't want to appear haughty, but I've proven for myself and my friends that proper driving technique can trump better hardware. The stopwatch doesn't lie. I was putting in a 58.93-second lap around Subic when people in faster EK Civics posted lap times in excess of 1:00.

Quote Originally Posted by desert fox View Post
    I beg to disagree sa sinabi mo na nice to have it feature lang ang ABS sa isang sasakyan...malaking tulong ito sa mga drivers bro.....isa na ako doon....at na-experience ko na ito in many times...

nagtataka lang ako, di mo pa pala na-experienced makapagmaneho ng kotseng me ABS, pero iba ang perception mo sa ABS.....
    Flaw in your logic: Just because I don't OWN a car with ABS doesn't mean I haven't DRIVEN a car with ABS.

It's nice to have precisely because you can learn to cope without it. See my explanation above. ABS is no super-brake; the basic principle can be done by a human driver. The thing is, most drivers simply cannot/will not/do not want to learn how to brake properly without it, which is perfectly fine from a safety standpoint. They just require something to do rapid-fire cadence braking for them.

In the snow, ABS can actually make your life a little harder because you can't depend on the wheel lockup to build up a cushion of snow in front of your tire. That cushion of snow will help deceleration.

On the public road, ABS is important because unlike driving around a closed racetrack, you cannot control nor predict the environment you are driving in. There are simply too many variables, and any advantage can help. However, people have survived years of driving without it. Especially in the Philippines, ABS is a fairly recent feature - the US and Europe had it in the 1980s but we had to wait until 1994-95.

The bottom line is people can learn how to drive without depending on or ever triggering ABS - in an ideal world with ideal drivers, that would be the way to go. Barring that, if you account for everybody else on the road being a potentially foolish driver and drive accordingly and defensively, that's the next best thing.

My fear is, when ABS actually does get triggered, do people actually know what to do? If they let go of the brake pedal in fear of something getting broken they just negated the advantage ABS brought them. The use of ABS, like driving in general, requires very specific practice - the knowledge and confidence that the system is doing its thing even with the foreign sensation of pedal judder and noisy brakes.
    Last edited by Type 100; September 16th, 2010 at 11:29 PM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by desert fox View Post
    Malaking tulong ang ABS sa isang sasakyan. my previous ride chevy Cavalier 2001 have it at ilang beses na akong naisave ng ABS nya sa aksidente...

Mali ang sapantaha na more distance kapag nagpreno ka with ABS against w/o ABS. kung totoo ito, provide us some link...

Here's some great reading on the wonderful world of braking technique.
    http://fastdriving.blogspot.com/2009...-it-right.html
    http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/braking.htm

It'd take a good driver with a great grasp of brake pedal feel, but yes, threshold braking - aka the very best braking you can achieve - can be done regardless if a car has ABS or not.

The main thing to avoid is wheel lockup. On an ABS-equipped car, this actually still happens. It's just that the ABS system will step in when it happens, and pulse the pedal pressure for the driver.

===
    The magazine Autocar in the UK does a "0-100-0mph showdown" every year. Basically you start from a standstill, rocket to 100mph (160 km/h), then brake to a complete stop...in the least possible time.

To improve the max braking performance of the cars, they deliberately feather the brake pedal on ABS-equipped cars to avoid triggering it. The wisdom is that once ABS kicks in, you've already passed the threshold of the tires' grip and you've actually locked up your brakes (see above links). In effect, you've lost the advantage of keeping the maximum braking force that threshold braking brings.

It's a shame Autocar isn't being sold here these days - they used to have an ASEAN edition sold here and published in Singapore and Malaysia - but I've got the issues with the 2003 and 2004 0-100-0 showdowns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
ABS Question