New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I was told that this engine is great, power in less fuel consumption. Please post a reply about your experience with the engine and please clarify if this engine really do have vvti. thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    My neighbor has one in his small body corolla. He has a jasma 4-1 headers connected to it and all stock internals. Here are some points that I've noticed.

1. At stock, it is fast but nevertheless it's not as good as a B16. It has torque thou not like the b16.
    2. Yes it does have Vvti. I know how vtec works but I don't know how Vvti works. I assume it's the same thing.
    3. It get's hot easily.
    4. Throttle position is a little bit off if it's on a FF. It would be better if it's on RWD.

Rating 8/10

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JCBalunsat View Post
    My neighbor has one in his small body corolla. He has a jasma 4-1 headers connected to it and all stock internals. Here are some points that I've noticed.

1. At stock, it is fast but nevertheless it's not as good as a B16. It has torque thou not like the b16.
    2. Yes it does have Vvti. I know how vtec works but I don't know how Vvti works. I assume it's the same thing.
    3. It get's hot easily.
    4. Throttle position is a little bit off if it's on a FF. It would be better if it's on RWD.

Rating 8/10
    It has VVT not VVTi. VVT is similar to Honda's VTEC and VVTi is similar to Honda's i-VTEC. VVT is what Toyota used prior to 1996 when VVTi was introduced.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    We use 20Valves here in the states, It works great with the stock parts as far as putting it on a Corolla either you need to punch a hole on the firewall or get the mod parts to route the Dizzy to the front. since the motor was made for a Front Wheel Set-up. You can check a really good site: www.club4ag.com for more info on this motor and im sure you'll find whatever you want to know about this motor and other mods.

Hope this helps,

I need a contact for old school parts, Side Drafts for an 18RG Set-Up and 4AGE. Supercharger for a 4AGE.

Thanks all
    Mike Ibarra

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by alfalax88 View Post
    I was told that this engine is great, power in less fuel consumption. Please post a reply about your experience with the engine and please clarify if this engine really do have vvti. thanks
    I was able to ride in a AE89 Corolla with a 4AGE 20v blacktop with 6 speed M/T. Smooth to drive at low speed but accelerates like a devil when the accelerator is floored. Keep the engine stock and it should provide lots of performance with just regular maintenance.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alfalax88 View Post
    hey bro, well the 4AGE 20Valve "black top" is a pretty stout engine (aluminum head / cast-iron block) so it can take alot of beating. also, the 20 valve is a very good "high-revving" engine and it has a good amount of Horsepower and Torque, considering its a 1.6L engine. plus the 20 valve is easy to maintain and there are still some aftermarket support for it.

anywayz, here some other things that I like about the 4AGE 20 Valve engine (wether if its a Silver or Black top):

-inexpensive.
    -engine is strong and easy to maintain.
    -non-interference engine.
    -Aluminum Head & Cast Iron Block design (which is stout and can handle forced-induction applications.. with internal mods of course.)
    -has ITB's (Independent Throttle Bodies) and is simple to tune.
    -high-rev engine w/ low-mid end torque (these engines like to be driven hard)
    -good availability of OEM and Aftermarket parts.
    -can be put on literally any generation of Toyota Corolla's (TE27, AE86, AE92, AE101, AE111).. you can even put this engine on a KP61 Starlet!

aite, peace.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Ayun. VVT pala not VVTi. Thanks for the correction. Yup the engine likes to be driven hard.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KBR View Post
    hey bro, well the 4AGE 20Valve "black top" is a pretty stout engine (aluminum head / cast-iron block) so it can take alot of beating. also, the 20 valve is a very good "high-revving" engine and it has a good amount of Horsepower and Torque, considering its a 1.6L engine. plus the 20 valve is easy to maintain and there are still some aftermarket support for it.

anywayz, here some other things that I like about the 4AGE 20 Valve engine (wether if its a Silver or Black top):

-inexpensive.
    -engine is strong and easy to maintain.
    -non-interference engine.
    -Aluminum Head & Cast Iron Block design (which is stout and can handle forced-induction applications.. with internal mods of course.)
    -has ITB's (Independent Throttle Bodies) and is simple to tune.
    -high-rev engine w/ low-mid end torque (these engines like to be driven hard)
    -good availability of OEM and Aftermarket parts.
    -can be put on literally any generation of Toyota Corolla's (TE27, AE86, AE92, AE101, AE111).. you can even put this engine on a KP61 Starlet!

aite, peace.

my friend put this engine to his liteace...
    Last edited by cyrusblutrooper; April 22nd, 2008 at 03:54 PM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusblutrooper View Post
    my friend put this engine to his liteace...

shiet!? damn, yan ang ASTIG!! lolz!

pero para sa akin, ok din isalpak ang 4AGE 20 Valve sa isang Owner Type Jeep (kung pede lang, yung Skeleton type pa!.. lol!! suicidal ka na nun!!)

aite, peace.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    ive heard na its a good engine and easy to maintain. im thinking of putting one in my AE111. Mga bros, san makakakita and how much ang 4AGE? anong difference ng black and silver top?

peace!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
4AGE Black Top Engine! Your thoughts....